Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slayer - The Academy June 10th & 11th

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

What was on the bottom of the banner for Jeff "Still ................."

Couldn't see the rest of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What was on the bottom of the banner for Jeff "Still ................."

Couldn't see the rest of it

It said Still Reigning 1964-2013.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    It said Still Reigning 1964-2013.

Excellent thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Brilliant show, I got one of Holt's picks too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Went both nights, absolutely awesome. For anyone disappointed that they couldn't make it, they're putting on an extra show in Belfast in August. Well worth the trip in my opinion, tickets on sale Friday.

Here's the sets for anyone interested

Monday
    World Painted Blood
    Hallowed Point
    War Ensemble
    Hate Worldwide
    Stain Of Mind
    The Antichrist
    Disciple
    Bloodline
    Mandatory Suicide
    Chemical Warfare
    Payback
    Seasons In The Abyss
    Dead Skin Mask
    Raining Blood
    South of Heaven
    Angel of Death

Tuesday
    World Painted Blood
    Spirit In Black
    War Ensemble
    Hate Worldwide
    Die By The Sword
    Bloodline
    Disciple
    Postmortem
    Altar Of Sacrafice
    Jesus Saves
    Mandatory Suicide
    Chemical Warfare
    Ghosts Of War
    Seasons In The Abyss
    Dead Skin Mask
    Raining Blood
    South of Heaven
    Angel of Death

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

I was at the gig Monday. Brilliant night, but it looks like I would have slightly prefered last nights setlist. Altar Of Sacrifice into Jesus Saves? Damn, that would have been great to see.
    Ah well Monday was still amazing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Epic gig. Cannot be said enough!

Also - it has to be said - the gentleman who was downstairs on the right of the stage wearing (if I remember correctly!) a Cannibal Corpse shirt ......

You Sir, Are. A. Legend!

SLAYER!!!!! FCUKING SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!

was your chant. Its been a long time since I've been to a gig and parked next to such an avid fan - you highlighted our evening beautifully. Rock on you legend, rock on!

[IMG][/img]jeffxh.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is what it should have looked like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Top Half was missing, Stage was a lot smaller than in your pic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,125 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That mosh pit is barely moving-should of went down to cork like a few years ago and not be playing to tiny crowds in the pale.:p
    i was at the the cork gig and it was pale in comparison to those acadamy gigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They obviously only have 2 banners (Slayer/Hanneman) and use them for every venue regardless of size. The Academy being so small meant it was all bunched up on the sides and looked a bit messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

lord lucan wrote: »
    They obviously only have 2 banners (Slayer/Hanneman) and use them for every venue regardless of size. The Academy being so small meant it was all bunched up on the sides and looked a bit messy.

That Slayer banner is huge. Seen it full size in alexandria palace last year.

Top Half was missing, Stage was a lot smaller than in your pic!

Oh I know, the Slayer one didn't look too bad
    Pity Jeff's one was squashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

All the talk of this backdrop, people have to remember that Slayer have not played a scheduled headline show this small for 20+yrs

scudzilla wrote: »
    All the talk of this backdrop, people have to remember that Slayer have not played a scheduled headline show this small for 20+yrs

yeah i didn't go to see the backdrop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

scudzilla wrote: »

Yeah but you would think that a band with as much money as them could afford some effort.

Unless this is part of Kings penny pinching greed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Giving the choice of seeing them in a 2000+ venue where they could use the full backdrop or a 900 venue with a small stage leaving me a close to them as I would be watching TV... I think I know which I would chose.

It was funny when Araya commented on how small the place was on Monday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Yeah but you would think that a band with as much money as them could afford some effort.

Couldn't care less about the backdrop but i was concerned by the crap tunes that were being played pre-show. Anyone know if its the bands call or the venues? With no support band the least they could've done was play some decent tunes.

I wish people would STFU about this. King has kept the band going, he pulled Holt in when Jeff got hurt, WTF was he meant to do? Put the band on hold??

As for the drumming situation, we've only heard Dave's side of things and the drum position in the band had always been up and down.

Kerry King lives and breathes metal, he loves meeting the fans and Slayer are still here today because of him.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Couldn't care less about the backdrop but i was concerned by the crap tunes that were being played pre-show. Anyone know if its the bands call or the venues? With no support band the least they could've done was play some decent tunes.

Pulled them up about this on t heir FB page, they said was down to band/promotor

• Advertisement

ha worrying about curtains at a slayer show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

the_syco wrote: »
    Yup, see myself in the pit in these two :D

=-=

One thing that pissed me off was the merch stand; their largest t-shirts were XL. F**king disgrace! Was hoping to get one, and wasn't going to mind spending the €25, but not for an XL! And the worst part; they weren't sold out; they just didn't have them. I'd wonder how many other fans were disappointed over this.

I'm in these too! Crazy gig. The first 4 songs had the most insane pit I've been in in a long time! Holt and Bostaph were excellent! Class venue too. Neck is still banjaxed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

First time getting to see the on their own since 2005.

Tom Araya was giving some strange looks in Holts direction. Sometimes looked like he didn't like the way he was playing. Don't think that was it but was slightly amusing.
    Also he does a lot of wandering and looking around now that he can't headbang.

Was a great gig though and got a Kerry King pick.
    also forgot how small the academy is

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Beekay wrote: »
    First time getting to see the on their own since 2005.

Tom Araya was giving some strange looks in Holts direction. Sometimes looked like he didn't like the way he was playing. Don't think that was it but was slightly amusing.
    Also he does a lot of wandering and looking around now that he can't headbang.

Was a great gig though and got a Kerry King pick.
    also forgot how small the academy is

I don't think it was Holt he was looking at, his wife was standing stage-side, just to the side of the stage Holt was on. As someone beside me said at the end of the night, they were eye-banging all night :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

the_syco wrote: »
    Yup, see myself in the pit in these two :D

=-=

One thing that pissed me off was the merch stand; their largest t-shirts were XL. F**king disgrace! Was hoping to get one, and wasn't going to mind spending the €25, but not for an XL! And the worst part; they weren't sold out; they just didn't have them. I'd wonder how many other fans were disappointed over this.

I have to admit this pissed me off a bit too, especially as bands have been getiting a lot better lately at bringing shirts for the, umm...well-upholstered fan! :) I went for the XL anyway, as I wanted the shirt, but I reckon it's going to be snug....

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Awesome night as always whenever Slayer is playing, I was tempted to head along and cover their Belfast show too but needed a night off before working the Mastodon show. Whoever headbutted me when they flew over the barrier ..thanks you almost knocked me out! anyways yeah great night and I got all my stuff signed and Tom gave me his plec. Hopefully heading to their August Belfast show too.

9022200984_d9af58cee8_z.jpg

9024588384_c92572c11e_z.jpg

9021463682_9af481eff2.jpg

9022695029_1bab6f7800.jpg

©Full Set On: Flickr | Facebook | SMM

Was the setlist for the 2nd night posted? if not here it is, 100% as it was on the night in the right order / etc.

World Painted Blood
    Spirit
    War
    Hate
    Die
    Bloodline
    Disciple
    Jesus
    Mandatory Suicide
    Chemical Warfare
    Ghosts
    Seasons
    Dead Skin Mask
    Raining Blood
    South of Heaven
    Angel of Death

Slayer are back in Belfast at The Limelight on Aug 13th, 2days after Bloodstock, tickets priced £38 go on sale in 5mins

No chance of a Dublin date though, if they did it the day before they'd be doing 6 gigs on the bounce, the day after would be 5 and a long trek back to mainland europe

EDIT : SOLD OUT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Super gig, I went on Tuesday.
    Deadly in the smaller venue. Was there with my Bro Beekay.

Got me a Holt pick too :)

Ghosts of war was my personal favourite, Ijust love that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Is it true the security in The Academy did nothing to stop the Wall Of Death?

• Advertisement

Is it true the security in The Academy did nothing to stop the Wall Of Death?

Security were excellent, only 3 guys in the pit who knew what they were doing, any surfers were just pushed straight back into the pit except for 1 guy who surfed 2/3 times, he was yanked over, giving a talking to and let loose again.

A minor scrap broke out in the pit and they were straight on top of it so for me, they did an awesome job and deserve credit

Advertisement