Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISO Standards - 2D CAD Tech. Drawings

Options
  • 07-03-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Putting together a portfolio for a job application. I am lacking a 'perfect' 2D technical drawing of mechanical part, by perfect I mean one that abides by all standards e.g. correct line type, tolerances, threads, scaling etc.

I have found ISO 128 (Parts: 24,34,44,50)

Are there any other standards that I should be looking at in order to yield the perfect Technical Drawing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I am lacking a 'perfect' 2D technical drawing of mechanical part, by perfect I mean one that abides by all standards e.g. correct line type, tolerances, threads, scaling etc.

I can't advise on the ISO standards, other than that they tend to be interlinked so you have to get/understand multiple standards to be fully 'compliant'.

In practice I've never found the complete ISO/ANSI etc. standards that useful, as they tend to be one-size-fits-all. IMHO a "perfect" drawing should communicate the design information as clearly as possible first, then adhere to standards second. Obviously some industries will be heavily regulated and won't allow any deviation from standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

I can't advise on the ISO standards, other than that they tend to be interlinked so you have to get/understand multiple standards to be fully 'compliant'.

In practice I've never found the complete ISO/ANSI etc. standards that useful, as they tend to be one-size-fits-all. IMHO a "perfect" drawing should communicate the design information as clearly as possible first, then adhere to standards second. Obviously some industries will be heavily regulated and won't allow any deviation from standards.

I know what you're saying. Have found BS8888 which I will use as a guideline, that and the ISO128/129. Should be fine.

Advertisement