Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account changes and security

Options
  • 07-03-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I have an account with Eircom. I currently have a few issues.

Firstly, a recent payment didn't go through by DD, it was my fault as a cheque hadn't cleared. I assumed that the DD would be attempted again. Today I got a letter dated 28th Feb, telling me I'd be cut off within 7 days of the date of the letter. A bit heavy handed I think for one late payment? I will apparently also be charged 15 euro for this late payment. Again a bit much I think.

So I have decided I no longer want to be an Eircom customer. I called to organise final payment and account closure to be told that I am actually tied into a contract until September. I am sure I did not agree to this and said so. It may have been my husband. He would not have made a call to Eircom, so I can only assume this was organised via a call made to our house. He does not have his name on the account, or on the account from which payment is made. This apparently does not matter, I was informed that so long as you have the account number, you can make a change on the account. This does not seem very secure at all.

So my query is - is it standard to threaten to cut someone off due to one (marginally) late payment? Can you check who agreed to a contract?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Whispered wrote: »
    Hi, I have an account with Eircom. I currently have a few issues.

Firstly, a recent payment didn't go through by DD, it was my fault as a cheque hadn't cleared. I assumed that the DD would be attempted again. Today I got a letter dated 28th Feb, telling me I'd be cut off within 7 days of the date of the letter. A bit heavy handed I think for one late payment? I will apparently also be charged 15 euro for this late payment. Again a bit much I think.

So I have decided I no longer want to be an Eircom customer. I called to organise final payment and account closure to be told that I am actually tied into a contract until September. I am sure I did not agree to this and said so. It may have been my husband. He would not have made a call to Eircom, so I can only assume this was organised via a call made to our house. He does not have his name on the account, or on the account from which payment is made. This apparently does not matter, I was informed that so long as you have the account number, you can make a change on the account. This does not seem very secure at all.

So my query is - is it standard to threaten to cut someone off due to one (marginally) late payment? Can you check who agreed to a contract?

Thank you.

Hi Whispered,

I would need to look into the direct debit / payment history on the account. Would you be able to PM me with the name on the account and the eircom account number & I will check it out and address your queries.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement