Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.E.R for R.A.S applicant

Options
  • 07-03-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there, after finally finding a house that will allow me to rent through R.A.S i have found that because it is quite old it may not have the energy efficiency requirements needed for B.E.R. It is insulated in the attic but not in the walls, but the walls are a meter thick, also it has storage heating. Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience and do they know how strict the Co.Council are on the house being up to these specifications?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sheggy wrote: »
    Hi there, after finally finding a house that will allow me to rent through R.A.S i have found that because it is quite old it may not have the energy efficiency requirements needed for B.E.R. It is insulated in the attic but not in the walls, but the walls are a meter thick, also it has storage heating. Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience and do they know how strict the Co.Council are on the house being up to these specifications?.
    I have it on the authority of the Fingal based BER assessor who assessed my property for RAS that Fingal require a minimum D2 rating. I'd expect this is possibly standard across councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sheggy

But what excactly does the D2 Rating entail, thanks for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

With no insulation in the walls and storage heating you have no chance of a D2 IMO. More like E2 but only an assessment will give you your answers (and I don't believe in the accuracy of them at all because no measuring is done. It's all theoretical).

The assessor will be able to say what measures would need to be taken to get the property up to say D2. I expect the measures would be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sheggy

Thanks very much.

Advertisement