Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent!! Lacto-Vegetarian Recipes?? Help!

Options
  • 07-03-2013 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi! I am doing Junior Cert. Home Ec. and I have the cooking task in which I must create a meal for a Lacto-Vegetarian..hence why I am here:

I have to cook a main course and make either a starter or dessert.
    I have searched the internet and can't seem to find ANYTHING! Ugh, help please??

I have 1 hr and 30 mins. to cook these dishes, and I am only 15..just to let you know. So, no recipes that would need me to become a 5 star chef over-night? :D haha

If anyone could please link me to some suitable recipes, I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you in advance for your help!

Thanking you,
    Dean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A lacto vegetarian doesn't eat eggs, so besides meat, you have to be sure not to include eggs.

Maybe if you tell us what you like to cook at the moment, someone could make a suitable suggestion.

If you're going to go for a recipe using cheese, you might have to ensure it's vegetarian (I don't know if this will be checked in the exam). Were you told it must be properly balanced? Are you allowed to use meat substitutes or tofu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 deanxoxo

Whispered wrote: »
    A lacto vegetarian doesn't eat eggs, so besides meat, you have to be sure not to include eggs.

Maybe if you tell us what you like to cook at the moment, someone could make a suitable suggestion.

If you're going to go for a recipe using cheese, you might have to ensure it's vegetarian (I don't know if this will be checked in the exam). Were you told it must be properly balanced? Are you allowed to use meat substitutes or tofu?

I don't mind cooking anything, I just don't like baking..
    Yes, it must be a balanced meal and it is fine to use meat substitutes and tofu... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Boo2112

deanxoxo wrote: »

I don't mind cooking anything, I just don't like baking..
    Yes, it must be a balanced meal and it is fine to use meat substitutes and tofu... :)
    Iirc quorn is binded using egg so that's a no go. Tofu usually needs to be marinated which obviously takes a bit of time so you'll have to play around with recipes at home to make sure you'll manage it inside the limit. I made a quorn curry for my jc even though veggie wasn't the brief and yerwan was pretty impressed so you don't have to overcomplicate it either. Have a search here for tofu and you'll get loads of recipes and as long as they fit the criteria try them out and see which one you like best. Remember it has to taste nice too. :)

Boo2112 wrote: »
    Iirc quorn is binded using egg so that's a no go. Tofu usually needs to be marinated which obviously takes a bit of time so you'll have to play around with recipes at home to make sure you'll manage it inside the limit. I made a quorn curry for my jc even though veggie wasn't the brief and yerwan was pretty impressed so you don't have to overcomplicate it either. Have a search here for tofu and you'll get loads of recipes and as long as they fit the criteria try them out and see which one you like best. Remember it has to taste nice too. :)

Thanks! You really helped me! :D

I think this is a great recipe.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71078077
    I brush the aubergine slices with olive oil, and then grill on boths sides.
    Instead of deep frying.
    I add layers of lasagna noodles, to bulk it out.

It will probably take 1hr and a half, but it is not too hard and tastes great. :)

I usually use Parmesan style cheese, I get in the healthfood shop. As the original version isnt strictly veggie. It contains animal rennet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Spinach and ricotta cannelloni?
    Dried pasta is usually egg free and just avoid parmesan.

Maybe with bruschetta, stuffed mushroom/peppers etc for a starter.

I've made these cheesecakes in a glass before too if you'd prefer to make a dessert and they were easy and yum :)
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2758/berry-cheesecake-in-a-glass-

Thanks everyone! You have all been a great help... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lactoveggie

Hi,

For eggless vegetarian recipes check this website out - http://lacto-vegetarian.com/

Hope this helps :)

Lactoveggie

Advertisement