Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mondello track day training

• 07-03-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I booked track day training for tomorrow week (Fri 15th). Anyone else going to be there?? Anyone done it and have any tips or thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

yea did it 2 years ago. wasn't driving long, great experience for the rookie!

slow control. be confident in it.

still get lots of track time.

do the training, then book a proper day, into novices.

best thing ever imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Do you need a 1 piece set of leathers for the training day? Or will a 2 piece that zip together do.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Do you need a 1 piece set of leathers for the training day? Or will a 2 piece that zip together do.....?

Two piece is fine for this and trackdays too. One piece only needed for racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

kaimera wrote: »
    yea did it 2 years ago. wasn't driving long, great experience for the rookie!

slow control. be confident in it.

still get lots of track time.

do the training, then book a proper day, into novices.

best thing ever imo

Agree 100% with this. I did it a few years ago and had a fantastic day!

Yeah a zip-together 2 piece will do ya Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭goose banker

Only tips I have are enjoy yourself! Did it heading for 2 years ago, was riding about 11 months at the time and it was deadly, I don't think anyone that's done one of these will have a bad word to say about it. Slow speed control and braking practice in the morning, track time in the afternoon. Well worth it even if you never intend to go on a track day - the stuff they teach is relevant to the road as well.

2 piece zip together leathers are sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

cantdecide wrote: »
    I booked track day training for tomorrow week (Fri 15th). Anyone else going to be there?? Anyone done it and have any tips or thoughts?
    Did it two years and I really enjoyed it. My memory isn't as good as it use to be however, below is what I remember. I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me if I am wrong or if it has changed since I did it.

The day is split in to two, morning is classroom theory and safety briefing. They also go through the track as well, that's about an hour or two. Once you are done in the classroom they bring you out to the car park(behind the main building) and mainly focus on general control of the machine, breaking cornering etc. during this time they assess you and give you pointers on areas you need them in, I got 98% :P. All done in a very friendly and professional manner. You break for lunch, fill up your tank now, there is a petrol station 5 minutes away.

The second part is track time, first you are given a demonstration on body positioning etc. and you might get one of the instructors/racers to show you a flying lap. You are split in to groups or 4, might be one less or one more depending on how many that is attending and the number of Marshall's/instructors available. In your little group you will each take a turn following the Marshall for a few laps to show you the lines you should be taking etc. You will be brought in again for a debrief before everyone is let loose on the track, accompanied by instructers/Marshall's.

Make sure to bring sambos and plenty of drink- you will need the drink! You can leave your gear in the class room if you need and its looked after.

Take it easy the first few laps, let your tires warm up before you start pusing it, your going to have the whole afternoon to belt it around. During my training day a few guys binned their bikes in the first few laps, albeit they were able to ride the bikes home.

2 piece is fine as long as it zips all the way around, your RST leathers will be fine ;). They were not as strict during training days, they let a few guys on the track with textile jackets and leather trousers, this may have changed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Nice one lads....might book one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I watched ''Twist of the wrist II '' today and I was just thinking how good of an experience it would be to have a track day training. Pity about only using leathers though. Couldn't see meself investing in leathers just for one track day. Of course if you planned in doing more days then investing in leathers wont be so bad. What sort of money are we talking about regarding a track day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I watched ''Twist of the wrist II '' today and I was just thinking how good of an experience it would be to have a track day training. Pity about only using leathers though. Couldn't see meself investing in leathers just for one track day. Of course if you planned in doing more days then investing in leathers wont be so bad. What sort of money are we talking about regarding a track day?

Give them a call, as I said I saw a few guys with textiles on the training day when I did it. They might be still ok with it.

€100 for the trainin day, http://www.mondello.ie/track_days/bike_track_days/track_day_training/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Track day is €160 for the full day. Or €85 for morning only or €100 for afternoon only. But yeah, if you were gonna do a few days, investing in leathers would be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Couldn't see meself investing in leathers just for one track day. Of course if you planned in doing more days then investing in leathers wont be so bad.

I had feck all money but I managed to get a budget pair of trousers, boots on sale and I had an old jacket that was now miles too big tailored to fit (but now I have only one liver left:().
    What sort of money are we talking about regarding a track day?

http://www.mondello.ie/calendar/bike_track/

The training day is €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭goose banker

Prices from the Mondello website:

INTERNATIONAL CIRCUIT COSTS:
    Morning: Pre-booked €70.00 - Pay on the day €90.00
    Afternoon: Pre-booked €80.00 - Pay on the day €100.00
    Full Day: : Pre-booked €140.00 - Pay on the day €160.00

NATIONAL CIRCUIT COSTS:
    Morning: Pre-booked €65.00 - Pay on the day €85.00
    Afternoon:: Pre-booked €80.00 - Pay on the day €100.00
    Full Day: : Pre-booked €130.00 - Pay on the day €150.00