Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can cats have bad reaction to certain food brands?

• 07-03-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

For the past few years I've had our cat on various grain-free brands such as Orijen, Acana & Taste of the Wild. Less than month ago I picked up some Porta 21 - also grain-free but a bit better value. However, he's gotten sick a few times this month (which is very rare for him) and his stools are usually wet. The ingredients in Porta 21 seem fine - is this just a weird reaction? Could it be something else?

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Puss might be bolt eating. If they hoover it up quickly they can throw it back up soon after eating. I think it can also be the size and shape of the kibble being to easy to scoff down. I had the same problem with one of my cats when they were on Orijen. They've been on Applaws for a couple of months now and we had no problems with it. Also Meowing Heads was fine as well. Both grain free. Am thinking of swithching their wet food to Schesir(think is spelled right)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Hi OP,

I just bought a bag of Porta 21 to try for my older kitten.
    First night he had some i got up the next morning to find it all over my rug :(
    However i honestly think he got too much (this guy wont stop eating for anything!)..

I actually thought he ate the Porta21 slower than the applaws as the kibble is bigger?

Anyway simple things really but have you tried serving smaller more regular meals?

Both my kitties are now eating it (6 days after i got it) and no more accidents so far.

Could there possiblly be more 'herbal' ingredients than other brands? Not sure if that would make much of a difference?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dublin21 try something like this to stop your cats from stuffing themselves (after recommendations from here; thank you!). That's what we did with our cat and after a month on it we were able to switch back to normal bowl with only one accident in 9 months (compared to weekly or at least once a month before) as she had learned to eat slower rather then go in head first and eat like it was the final meal ever to be served!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Porta 21 is a brilliant food but 2 of my guys got upset tummies from it in the first 2 weeks of changeover ---- I stuck with it and since then never had a problem:)

Advertisement