Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Kerry woman

Options
  • 07-03-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

While it is a very subjective assessment, there are many credible nominees for the greatest Kerry man ever. Tom Crean, Daniel O'Connell or Mick O'Connell are names in the hat depending on your specific prejudices.
    When it comes to Kerry women the nominees are less obvious - of course I'm leaving myself open to charges of
    misogyny here here - Peig springs to mind & springs back out again kind of quickly & the Rose of Tralee is not really a specific person.
    Nominees for the greatest Kerrywoman ever please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

While it is a very subjective assessment, there are many credible nominees for the greatest Kerry man ever. Tom Crean, Daniel O'Connell or Mick O'Connell are names in the hat depending on your specific prejudices.
    When it comes to Kerry women the nominees are less obvious - of course I'm leaving myself open to charges of
    misogyny here here - Peig springs to mind & springs back out again kind of quickly & the Rose of Tralee is not really a specific person.
    Nominees for the greatest Kerrywoman ever please?

I figured you might be serious, or maybe not so when you mention 'Rose of Tralee'

so tell me :- Are you looking for the Greatest female born in Kerry or Greatest female associated with Kerry or someones idea of a female who would have Great Kerry connections ?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

I am serious & looking for nominees for the greatest female born in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Sr Consilio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

my wife, she gave me a fry for breakfast.

Peig only gave me misery

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

All the women who raised huge families in minuscule cottages in the 1920s, 30s and 40s, on next to nothing while the founders of the new state were fiddling and whooping it up in the big city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Eibhlín Dubh Ní Chonaill wrote what "has been described as the greatest poem written in either Ireland or Britain during the eighteenth century"

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BRAIN FEEDs

Peig Sayers,hands down!

Peig Sayers was an Irish author and seanachaí born in Dunquin, County Kerry, Ireland. Seán Ó Súilleabháin, the former archivist for the Irish Folklore Commission, described her as "one of the greatest woman storytellers of recent times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Sr Stan.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ger b

annie curran from dingle definitly worth a mention here for all her tireless work for charities and community of dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

ejmaztec wrote: »
    All the women who raised huge families in minuscule cottages in the 1920s, 30s and 40s, on next to nothing while the founders of the new state were fiddling and whooping it up in the big city.

Somethings have not changed a huge amount.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Kinda surprised the 'nice coffee and lovely cakes' brigade on here have yet to come up with any nominees for the Greatest Kerrywoman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

amadain wrote: »
    Kinda surprised the 'nice coffee and lovely cakes' brigade on here have yet to come up with any nominees for the Greatest Kerrywoman.

Ciarrai 76 for her contribution to Boards and the Tralee thread:)

Advertisement