Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farce trying to sign up for home phone/broadband.

Options
  • 07-03-2013 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have been trying unsuccessfully to order phone and broadband from eircom.

I moved into a flat on the 12th of feb, the previous occupant had died on 27th jan.

I signed up online for phone/broadband package on the 22nd feb and received a
    follow up email with an account number and was told an engineer would have to
    call out to me.

The engineer came out on Fri 1st march and gave me a new number but told me to
    ring eircom and let them know that the previous occupant of the flat's line was
    still active.

On friday the 1st I rang 1901 at 2pm (on the line into the flat with the new number)
    and explained this and they said they would cancel the deceased's account but that
    they could not activate my new account and number until this was done, and cancelled
    my original order. I had to send in scans of my tenancy agreement to prove I was the
    new occupant of the flat and submit order details again.

The email address I was given to send the scans to bounced the mail so I had to ring
    1901 again, explain the stuation again and was given a new email address to send
    the scans to which I did. I was asked for a contact number and told I would receive
    a call within the hour. No follow up call and the new number has been disconnected.

On monday the 4th I rang 1901 again at 3pm and explained the whole situation again
    and was informed that eircom received the scans and were satisfied I am the new
    tenant but that there was a problem as the deceased had a broadband agreement
    with utv internet and that eircom could not cancel the deceased's line until this
    broadband account was cancelled.

I rang utv internet and got them to cancel the broadband account (I knew the deceased
    and was able to get account details from his family in England) and utv told me
    to ring back on wednesday to confirm the account cancellation. I rang utv on
    wednesday and they confirmed the broadband account was cancelled. So I rang 1901
    again, asked to speak to the person I was talking to on monday but the person I was
    now speaking to had never heard of them. So I explained the situation again and
    was asked for a contact number and told they would ring me in the morning.

4pm thursday and no follow up call. So again I ring 1901 and explain the situation, again.
    I was asked to email scans of the tenancy agreement again which I refused to do as
    I have already proven I am the occupant of the flat, so after a chat with her manager
    the girl told me I would need to sign up again so I provided my details and was told
    it would take a few weeks to get a new number but that I could have the deceased's
    number and it would be activated today (thursday) so I went with that. I was assured
    my new account was active and the phoneline active with the original number so I
    thanked the girl and hung up. I received an email after 10 minutes with my new
    account #.

I went to the flat lifted the phone and surprise, surprise, no dial tone. I can only
    assume that new number the engineer gave me on the 1st is the number active on the line.

Frankly I am at a loss as to why I have to run around trying to cancel someone elses
    accounts just to get one of my own. I am finding the whole thing distressing.

I am not ringing 1901 again. At this stage I want the original line with the
    deceased's number removed and a new line put into the flat with a new account/number in my name.

Could someone please PM me for account details and phone numbers and get this mess sorted for me?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

easweeney wrote: »
    I have been trying unsuccessfully to order phone and broadband from eircom.

I moved into a flat on the 12th of feb, the previous occupant had died on 27th jan.

I signed up online for phone/broadband package on the 22nd feb and received a
    follow up email with an account number and was told an engineer would have to
    call out to me.

The engineer came out on Fri 1st march and gave me a new number but told me to
    ring eircom and let them know that the previous occupant of the flat's line was
    still active.

On friday the 1st I rang 1901 at 2pm (on the line into the flat with the new number)
    and explained this and they said they would cancel the deceased's account but that
    they could not activate my new account and number until this was done, and cancelled
    my original order. I had to send in scans of my tenancy agreement to prove I was the
    new occupant of the flat and submit order details again.

The email address I was given to send the scans to bounced the mail so I had to ring
    1901 again, explain the stuation again and was given a new email address to send
    the scans to which I did. I was asked for a contact number and told I would receive
    a call within the hour. No follow up call and the new number has been disconnected.

On monday the 4th I rang 1901 again at 3pm and explained the whole situation again
    and was informed that eircom received the scans and were satisfied I am the new
    tenant but that there was a problem as the deceased had a broadband agreement
    with utv internet and that eircom could not cancel the deceased's line until this
    broadband account was cancelled.

I rang utv internet and got them to cancel the broadband account (I knew the deceased
    and was able to get account details from his family in England) and utv told me
    to ring back on wednesday to confirm the account cancellation. I rang utv on
    wednesday and they confirmed the broadband account was cancelled. So I rang 1901
    again, asked to speak to the person I was talking to on monday but the person I was
    now speaking to had never heard of them. So I explained the situation again and
    was asked for a contact number and told they would ring me in the morning.

4pm thursday and no follow up call. So again I ring 1901 and explain the situation, again.
    I was asked to email scans of the tenancy agreement again which I refused to do as
    I have already proven I am the occupant of the flat, so after a chat with her manager
    the girl told me I would need to sign up again so I provided my details and was told
    it would take a few weeks to get a new number but that I could have the deceased's
    number and it would be activated today (thursday) so I went with that. I was assured
    my new account was active and the phoneline active with the original number so I
    thanked the girl and hung up. I received an email after 10 minutes with my new
    account #.

I went to the flat lifted the phone and surprise, surprise, no dial tone. I can only
    assume that new number the engineer gave me on the 1st is the number active on the line.

Frankly I am at a loss as to why I have to run around trying to cancel someone elses
    accounts just to get one of my own. I am finding the whole thing distressing.

I am not ringing 1901 again. At this stage I want the original line with the
    deceased's number removed and a new line put into the flat with a new account/number in my name.

Could someone please PM me for account details and phone numbers and get this mess sorted for me?

Cheers.

Hi easweeney,

I am really sorry to hear of the problems you have had trying to set up an account under your name.

Would you be able to private message me with.

Your name
    The full address
    Name of the previous occupant

As well as the e-mail address you sent a copy of the tenancy agreement to and I will chase that up for you directly.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4 easweeney

Hi easweeney,

I am really sorry to hear of the problems you have had trying to set up an account under your name.

Would you be able to private message me with.

Your name
    The full address
    Name of the previous occupant

As well as the e-mail address you sent a copy of the tenancy agreement to and I will chase that up for you directly.

Thanks, Mark
    Information PM'ed
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

easweeney wrote: »
    Information PM'ed
    Cheers.

Hi easweeney,

Got the details thank you.

I will be back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement