Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat B5.5 servicing - whats needed?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Before putting myself at the mercy of a dealer/mechanic, I'm looking for info:
    I've a 2005 B5.5 VW Passat, diesel TDi 130
    Mileage around 106,000m
    Doing around 12k miles per year
    Cam belt done around 18months ago
    Couple of CV boots around the same time.
    No major servicing in the past 24 months other than this and the odd oil & filter change.
    Owned since 2007 with no real problems

My question;
    What, in all likelihood, really needs doing now?
    I've noticed unfamiliar noises over the past 6 months. No expert here but its like belts struggling when taking off or a slight noise from some rotating part or other when idling.
    I'm sure that, sooner or later, seals, belts, grommets etc are close to their end.
    So what should be on my list of likelys or possibles or better-change-the-X?

Suggestions, recommendations and experiences welcome. It's a great motor that's never even threatened to let me down so some TLC is overdue!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Once your are correctly following the mileage/age based servicing sceduals for oil, filters, brake fluid etc etc then all other wear items should be checked and replaced as needed and another faults rectified as they occur.

Continue like that and you will keep the possibility of unexpected failures to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Thanks ND, that makes sense.
    Honestly, I've not been too good at following the schedule. Belt change was late, and brake fluid change... not sure!
    I could stick it in for a service/look-see, but it's the idling belt/rotating component noises I was looking for a steer on. (educated car service customer is a happy car service customer!)
    Also (This may sound niaive).... should I expect an amount of black smoke at this mileage? Nothing serious, but a bit on start-up of a cold morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

johndoc wrote: »
    Thanks ND, that makes sense.
    Honestly, I've not been too good at following the schedule. Belt change was late, and brake fluid change... not sure!
    I could stick it in for a service/look-see, but it's the idling belt/rotating component noises I was looking for a steer on. (educated car service customer is a happy car service customer!)
    Also (This may sound niaive).... should I expect an amount of black smoke at this mileage? Nothing serious, but a bit on start-up of a cold morning...

If the smoke is just on start up it may be the glow plugs getting a bit lazy or, depending on the type of driving you do, it may be soot etc building up in the exhaust. The noise your getting would have to be checked as it could be any number of things.

The likes of brake fluid and cabin/pollen filters should be changed every 2 years, Diesel filter every 30,000kms, Air filter every 90,000kms(according to VW, I would't leave mine that long), oil and oil filter every 15,000kms at least and being sure that the correct VW spec oil is used.

If your car has a DSG gearbox then the gear oil and filter is due every 60,000kms.

Your water pump and auxiliary belt should have been changed with the timing belt as a matter of best practice.

Other then those, tyres, brakes, disks and any other parts don't have specific scheduled as their wear will depend on how the car is driven so they should be checked once a year at least.

On top of all that, weekly checks of coolant, oil, tyre pressures etc are wise so any potential issues can be spotted early.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Exactly what I'm after.
    Thanks ND

Advertisement