Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money to bring to Canada??

Options
  • 07-03-2013 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Just wondering ballpark what everyone will have to bring with them, how much they think will be enough and maybe the opinion of guys already established in Canada and what they think will be the minimum amount required to get a decent start. I hope to have a minimum of 5k Canadian, is this enough??

I’ve been flicking through the British expat forum and a recurring theme is to be sure to have enough money (and more) for things to go smoothly. I work in construction and will probably have to get my own transport to get work, but this sounds bloody expensive. I don’t mind buying a $300 banger but its insurance that is astronomical over there, I feel 5k could disappear real fast if a job is not found asap!!

Cheers;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

yea construction too but if you live near the c-train and get a job in one of the many hi risers down town you wont really need a car. i will only have between 4- 4.5K$ its all i can afford it is hard save on the dole lol if you budget right and take any job we should be grand:D i wanna work on the oil rigs so i spend some times saving and that so i wanna get any type of job first:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    yea construction too but if you live near the c-train and get a job in one of the many hi risers down town you wont really need a car. i will only have between 4- 4.5K$ its all i can afford it is hard save on the dole lol if you budget right and take any job we should be grand:D i wanna work on the oil rigs so i spend some times saving and that so i wanna get any type of job first:D

True it sure is damn hard to save. That would be sweet if a car didn't have to be bought and all the expenses that go with it, and any job will do me at the start too:D

ah mate going with 4k i wont be worry about a car mate atal i just would not be able to afford it where ya heading in canada and when?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    ah mate going with 4k i wont be worry about a car mate atal i just would not be able to afford it where ya heading in canada and when?:D

Think we may have chatted before lad:p Heading to Calgary hopefully May/June;)

look us up mate we will get a few pints in;) be it alcoholic or juice:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Insurance differers depending on the provance. From what I hear Ontario is crazy, alberta ain't too bad tho. I had a 3l v6 insured third party for $850 a year, and that covered both me and the gf to drive.

Western Direct is a good company to go with in Alberta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Anyone gone to Canada that has anything to say about money preparation? I think the government is looking for (appx) 3 months living expenses, I was aiming for 6 to be extra safe. But, since all of 2013's IEC visa are gone...I'll have a lot more saved come Jan/Feb 2014. At least 4,500 CAD, probably 5,300 CAD roughly.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭Spanish Harlem

Anyone gone to Canada that has anything to say about money preparation? I think the government is looking for (appx) 3 months living expenses, I was aiming for 6 to be extra safe. But, since all of 2013's IEC visa are gone...I'll have a lot more saved come Jan/Feb 2014. At least 4,500 CAD, probably 5,300 CAD roughly.

Are you unemployed at the moment in Ireland? Cos waiting until Jan 2014 is a loooong time to put your life on hold. Keep sending out CVs in Ireland or even the UK/Europe. You may land yourself a great job in the meantime and you won't need to apply for the Canadian visa. It's depressing to think that young lads are wasting the best years of their lives living at home and saving up their dole for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Are you unemployed at the moment in Ireland? Cos waiting until Jan 2014 is a loooong time to put your life on hold. Keep sending out CVs in Ireland or even the UK/Europe. You may land yourself a great job in the meantime and you won't need to apply for the Canadian visa. It's depressing to think that young lads are wasting the best years of their lives living at home and saving up their dole for 2 years.

I've applied for so many jobs and internships I can't count. I've even done what I thought I'd never do - applied for short, unpaid internships to 'get that foot in the door'. This is the economy where, having lost their jobs, 10 architects in a wealthy area of Dublin left their CVs in McDonalds. Imagine the downwards skills push, this is the standard of competition - people with 10 years experience over a fresh college grad like me. I even speak other languages and can't get hired. More than half the people my age that I've known for years have already left, and this is the capital. I totally agree that it's a long time, but nothing I've done has worked. It would be 1 year on the dole. Boards is full of guys younger than me who saved on the dole for one year and left, that's the way things are today.

Advertisement