Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Licence Saskatchewan ?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i understand the process in Alberta to get a driving licence. but i am wondering instead of that whole process of having to go through tests again. could i just change the the full Irish licence in Saskatchewan for a direct swap for a class 5 and use that in Alberta that would be OK surely? that would cut out having to resit an exam in Alberta and also some of us wont have the full 2 years. as i read its a direct swap in Saskatchewan for Irish full licence??
    Thanks Ross:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

You need to live in Saskatchewan for that though
    I just swapped my Alberta license for a Sask one and needed to produce two proofs of address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Rage taught i could simply stay in a hostel and give that as my address and i could change it over thanks for ruining my month;) haha back to the drawing board;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MP_Calgary2012

I'm pretty sure you can just give the hostel address, my mate did that with no problems, then it was a straight swap for an Albertan license. Maybe call a registry office in SK if your unsure:) as for the address thing, get the hostel to give you a letter saying that's where you are currently residing - sure your just off the boat - no apartment let alone utility bills yet.

yea i looked into it mate they want you to have 2 years on the full before the direct swap i will only have a few weeks:o even though i have had 5 years on the pro they wont count that. so i am just going to get an international licence and use that for a year:) thanks for your help:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

If you just landed in Alberta, would you be able to get the direct licence swap in Saskatchewan for your Irish one?

• Advertisement

well if you have your full over two years its possible but againstthetide said they would require proof of address. i don't no if a hostel address would do:)

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    well if you have your full over two years its possible but againstthetide said they would require proof of address. i don't no if a hostel address would do:)

yes I have it over 2 years, I wonder if they would take any alberta address for a Saskatchewan licence I just thought I would need to be living in Saskatchewan.

oh yea you would need to have a Saskatchewan address anyway:D

oh yea you would need to have a Saskatchewan address anyway:D

I just wonder would it be easier to just do the alberta driving test?

dunno i am ****ed cant do either i wont it 2 year my own fault for staying on the pro for 5 years:o.. i was chatting to a lad out there driveing a truck and it cost 420 more dollars a year to get insured on the international driving licence but at least hes able to drive so he does not mind. he was the same as me not having had the full for 2 years.

• Advertisement

dunno i am ****ed cant do either i wont it 2 year my own fault for staying on the pro for 5 years:o.. i was chatting to a lad out there driveing a truck and it cost 420 more dollars a year to get insured on the international driving licence but at least hes able to drive so he does not mind. he was the same as me not having had the full for 2 years.

It's a longer wait to get the full licence over in canada if you start from starch again I'm guessing?

yea it is:( but once you have 2 years plus on your full Irish licence you have to do the theory class 7(pro) there's usually a waiting list of between one-3 years on this but because you have your full Irish over 2 years you can skip this waiting time and progress on to do the class 5 advanced road driving test that's there full licence:).. but in Saskatchewan they have a deal with Ireland where as if you have your full Irish over 2 years you can do a direct swap for a class 5 no test required Alberta does not have such an agreement yet.

yea it is:( but once you have 2 years plus on your full Irish licence you have to do the theory class 7(pro) there's usually a waiting list of between one-3 years on this but because you have your full Irish over 2 years you can skip this waiting time and progress on to do the class 5 advanced road driving test that's there full licence:).. but in Saskatchewan they have a deal with Ireland where as if you have your full Irish over 2 years you can do a direct swap for a class 5 no test required Alberta does not have such an agreement yet.

would there be a similar agreement between alberta and ireland coming down the line?

There was talk one time but have heard nothing more about it will be a couple of years i would imagine.. but the international driving permit will allow you a year driving in canada as canada signed up to that IDP agreement:D

There was talk one time but have heard nothing more about it will be a couple of years i would imagine.. but the international driving permit will allow you a year driving in canada as canada signed up to that IDP agreement:D

the international driving permit is not a licence I know its valid for a year but do you still only get 90 days on irish driving licence?

you may be right regarding the alberta and the IDP. not sure about the wording in the last sentence; the you may drive part.

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1741.cfm

Visitors to Alberta If you are visiting Alberta from outside the country, you must have your valid home jurisdiction drivers licence and an International Drivers Permit to drive on Alberta roads. You may drive in Alberta up to 1 year.

yea so a year it will be;)

yea so a year it will be;)

its just strange that they don't accept a direct swap of irish licence but on other hand get a IDP and you can drive up to a 1 year.

yea well i suppose they signed up to the agreement so they have to allow you to drive for a year on the IDP in canada. be it Alberta or Ontario maybe each province then can implement there own rules? sure its a money maker for the government that's why they wont do the direct swap as there getting money from you to apply to do the theory and also for sitting the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CobhLanger

Sure if ya get the Saskatchewan licence can ya not drive around alberta with it no?

• Advertisement

CobhLanger wrote: »
    Sure if ya get the Saskatchewan licence can ya not drive around alberta with it no?

Nope you need to change license if you move between provinces
    I just swapped my AB for a SK license

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Lads i have a uk license from northern ireland. I know I can swap this in Sask but can I swap it in Alberta. I think I read somewhere they do a direct swap in alberta for a uk license but I dont think the north was included in that. Anyone know?

m.j.w wrote: »
    Lads i have a uk license from northern ireland. I know I can swap this in Sask but can I swap it in Alberta. I think I read somewhere they do a direct swap in alberta for a uk license but I dont think the north was included in that. Anyone know?

it has to be a GB licence they don't accept NI in alberta.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

gary27 wrote: »
    it has to be a GB licence they don't accept NI in alberta.

thought that alright, bit of a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

My OH is in Sask on an Irish full licence (5 or so years old) - he's driving trucks (has this on his Irish licence), or he may have got a temp Sask licence?, but has to convert to Sask licence within 90 days.

But from what I'm reading above, does this mean that he isn't allowed to drive in Alberta until he gets his full Sask licence? Or does it mean that EVEN WITH a Sask licence he cannot drive in Alberta?
    Both scenarios are a bit of a pain as he's on the border of the two provinces.

My OH is in Sask on an Irish full licence (5 or so years old) - he's driving trucks (has this on his Irish licence), or he may have got a temp Sask licence?, but has to convert to Sask licence within 90 days.

But from what I'm reading above, does this mean that he isn't allowed to drive in Alberta until he gets his full Sask licence? Or does it mean that EVEN WITH a Sask licence he cannot drive in Alberta?

for alberta you also need the International Drivers Permit with the irish licence to drive for up to 1 year; http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1741.cfm

this link might be helpful with regard to the sask licence
    http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/drivers-licence

I would say get your sask licence and you should be ok for driving in alberta if you are living in Saskatchewan.

If he lives in Sask and he is OK to drive in AB but if he moves to Alberta he will need to swap his license to an Alberta one.
    He can't have both you are only allowed to hold one license at a time.

Advertisement