Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Is My Answer Wrong?

• 07-03-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hiya!

I got my biology mock back, and was looking through the questions. I can't get why my answers are wrong.

Like one question was:

"Suggest one reason why plants in greenhouses may be exposed to levels of CO2 higher than those levels normally found in the atmosphere."

I wrote: The sun will shine into the greenhouse causing the rate of photosynthesis to increase. More CO2 is required for this to take place.

I know the second sentence may not be particularly right, but then on the marking scheme it says "increase rate of photosynthesis."

This happened a few times, but I thought as long as I said the right thing that I would get the marks, even though my additional information may be wrong? Like I did give the answer..

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If the marking scheme said "increase rate of photosynthesis" and you said causing the rate of photosynthesis to increase, the you should have got the marks. You would have got the marks with an SEC examiner. You might have lost later on an OM because of your confused answer, but for that statement you deserved the marks.

What goes on in the mock companies would not be checked to the same standard as the SEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Maybe because the sun shining in has nothing to do with the levels of CO2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Same kind of thing happened a lot in our class. Our teacher said most likely they were corrected by a college student given the marking scheme and following it exactly, anything correct phrased differently was given 0. He recorrected them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

You should have said C02 is pumped into the greenhouse, as more C02 allows for an increased rate of photosynthesis.

I'm not so sure an SEC examiner probably would have given the marks for what you answered. It is a bit confused, and in biology an incorrect answer cancels a correct answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah. I could be wrong I haven't done biology in ages like, but reading the question again, I wouldn't have given you the marks. They pump in the C02 'cause it can be contained in the greenhouse, whereas it would just disperse in the atmosphere. The plants in the greenhouse don't actually receive anymore sunlight than those outside, so that wouldn't be the reason they add in C02.

Basically, if you had said this
    I wrote: The sun will shine into the greenhouse causing the rate of photosynthesis to increase. More CO2 is required for this to take place.

You might have gotten the marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I don't think the sun has anything to do with it either, like yeah you have key words there but overall it's kind of wrong.
    peekachoo wrote: »
    Same kind of thing happened a lot in our class. Our teacher said most likely they were corrected by a college student given the marking scheme and following it exactly, anything correct phrased differently was given 0. He recorrected them all

Anyway yeah this happens a good bit with mocks I think. Like for example in Accounting there's often quite a few different ways to do things, but my mock looked like it had been corrected by someone with just the marking scheme and little knowledge other than that. I got an A2 but I think I might've had a shot for an A1 if it was corrected better. I'm not gonna kick up a fuss or anything, the main thing is the papers in June will be corrected properly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jessiblah

Maybe because the sun shining in has nothing to do with the levels of CO2?

I thought it would heat up the greenhouse and raise the CO2 levels, but I just realised I'm thinking of humans getting warmer and breathing in more oxygen and out more CO2. :L

Oh well! I'm 4 marks from a C3, and my friend and I both noticed that there's one question we think was added up wrong for us both (we answered everything, got it all right, and got 17 marks instead of the full 20), so if it was I'll be on 54.25%. :(

Ahh sure, loads of time to improve! Be grand.

Thanks everybody. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

jessiblah wrote: »
    I thought it would heat up the greenhouse and raise the CO2 levels, but I just realised I'm thinking of humans getting warmer and breathing in more oxygen and out more CO2. :L

Oh well! I'm 4 marks from a C3, and my friend and I both noticed that there's one question we think was added up wrong for us both (we answered everything, got it all right, and got 17 marks instead of the full 20), so if it was I'll be on 54.25%. :(

Ahh sure, loads of time to improve! Be grand.

Thanks everybody. :)

Good luck my friend, I'll be doing the leaving too this year - let's hope for a good paper

Advertisement