Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB charger as USB hub?

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

If I plug an external hd into something like the double USB charge below, will it send the data through another cable that's connected to a device, such as a Raspberry Pi?
    (or would I need a dedicated USB hub?)
    Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=244133&stc=1&d=1362693979

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If the external hard drive has two usb ports then connect one of them into the plug for power and the other into the Pi for data.

The plug is just two power outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What you want is a powered hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

mordeith wrote: »
    If I plug an external hd into something like the double USB charge below, will it send the data through another cable that's connected to a device, such as a Raspberry Pi?
    (or would I need a dedicated USB hub?)
    Thanks.

attachment.php?attachmentid=244133&stc=1&d=1362693979

I like the look of that adapter, where did you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

SickBoy wrote: »

I like the look of that adapter, where did you find it?
    i just googled double usb charger. it was a different one I saw in a shop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FSL wrote: »
    If the external hard drive has two usb ports then connect one of them into the plug for power and the other into the Pi for data.

The plug is just two power outputs.

hd has only one port. would a splitter usb cable in conjunction with charger work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It might try it. It shouldn't do any harm. One part of the split in the power the other in the hard drive.

Advertisement