Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Donedeal Scam

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mark McCauley

Hi guys,

I am the person that this person is claiming to be. I was selling a car on donedeal in January and he/she tried to get me to western union money to a courier in England. I was sent a scan of the picture page of a passport belonging to a girl called Tanya Christina O'Reilly from Kerry. The person had a fake paypal receipt made up with extra money included for courrier and and was going through the usual process of sale. It's when it was said that I was required to send the 600 euro's I realised it was a scam. When the paypal receipt was sent I was asked to send a copy of my picture page on passport to complete payment. I have notified my local Gardai station about this and also have sent a FB message to Tanya Christina O'Reilly. I also had a call from a Guard in Dundalk telling me that this person was trying to buy in the Dundalk area. I hope this gets resolved soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭celica1994

hope they catch the scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Hi guys,

I am the person that this person is claiming to be. I hope this gets resolved soon.

I'm sorry for your troubles mark ,

I'm the lad who started this thread.

At least the guards are doing something about it now , my locals didn't want to know as they said a crime hasn't been committed yet.

Hope this gets sorted for you soon enough , but can I suggest getting a new passport sorted as I was sent a copy of what you sent them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭frash

discodavie wrote: »
    I was sent a copy of what you sent them.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mark McCauley

Yeah im trying to get it sorted, thanks.

• Advertisement

New name and email

gekeiper21@hotmail.com
    Gerald Keiper

Beware folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

New name and email

gekeiper21@hotmail.com
    Gerald Keiper

Beware folks

Yep, the brother got a message off him yesterday too.

Looking to send it to Hungary :rolleyes:

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Yep, the brother got a message off him yesterday too.

Looking to send it to Hungary :rolleyes:

Yep ,

I set up a new PayPal a/c
    Doubled the price and waiting to see what happens next ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 hould on hey

Beware of The 02 vodafone scam aswell a woman with a northern accent rings you Up knows all Your details And wants you To say Yes on The phone To all of her permission To give you a new plan fr free internet amd calls for a month for 20€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

How do they know all your details?re the Vodafone scam?

I'm presuming they ask for bank details or something whilst they have you on the phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Foleymoley

Hello Good afternoon,

Thanks for your response as am interested in buying it.How long have you owned it? I do not want much bargain as I want you to give me your best price which you are willing to let it go because I am sure there would be many people who are interested with a good prices that is why I need your best price.Also, I want to know when last was it serviced? Was it for personal transportation or for rental purpose as I want to know how often you have used it and any condition like minor fault on it which you have not posted on the advert site. P.S: Do not forget to write me back the best price you are willing to let it go as I want to buy it now.

Await your swift response.

Thanks, Anthony.

After a bit of banter

I want to know the amount you are willing to let it go as I am ready to give you a good offer as am sure there must be many offers you must have received

Thennnnnn

Hello,

Thanks for your swift response as I'm quite satisfied with the condition as am Okay with the price of 3,500 EUR using PayPal and about the delivery have already contacted a shipper coming for the collection of it once payment has been confirmed by PayPal... I will not be able to view it due to my nature of work as am a full time worker. A shipping company will be coming for the pickup after payment has been made and will sign all papers on my behalf which is needed for the Purchase.

And so on

He sounds like a paypal salesman in this one....

Hello,

I insisted on paypal because it is secured in a way you do not litter you bank information to websites nor online market. I have my bank a/c attached to it,It is fast because funds are transferred in real time, and secure because all of your banking and personal details are not exposed but as you can attach your bank details to the paypal account which you will transfer the funds to your bank account from your paypal account easily. i will need you to give me your paypal email address so i can make the payment asap and pls if you don't have paypal account yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.com and get it set up , after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with paypal so as to put the money through.Kindly be informed also I will be responsible for the transfer commission charged by PayPal to send the money. Attached in this email is my ID Card which I will also like you to send me yours (if you have) when sending the payment details.

PayPal is an online banking solution that has the ability to transfer fund in a fast and secure manner which you are to attach your Bank Account to it so funds can be credited to your Bank Account directly. It is fast because funds are transferred in real time, and secure because all of your banking and personal details are not exposed. When transacting using PayPal, all you have to provide is your PayPal details instead of your bank details. After your money has been sent, PayPal will verify the transaction and immediately credit it to your Bank account and you can already start playing. Paying with your bank-account is safe as your bank-details will not be shared with the receiver. All you have to do is to register with them at www.paypal.com and you are good to go. I can make the payment with my Online Account with the Royal Bank if you insist on Bank paymen

Anthony.

This is the exact same email as I got. Word for word. Mine was from "Marie"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shumm

Foleymoley wrote: »
    This is the exact same email as I got. Word for word. Mine was from "Marie"

I just got something similar from a daniel gomez to buy a campervan on donedeal. It looks very suspicious. He wants to use paypal of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Its so annoying for genuine sellers getting these spoof time wasting emails ! The last one I got I decided to have a bit of fun, so I emailed a reply but used expletives every second or third word,in CAPS to emphasise them. It was funny to read back. I apologise at the end saying I have "verbal tourettes" Never heard back funnily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

He calls himself McCauley Anthony. If you fall for that, you need doing, in fairness. All that's missing is the "Gooooood Aftanooon Sah".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Senna wrote: »
    By the end of that i was reading it in my head in "Apu's" voice for some reason:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rapet

Got one to day

From: Diane Ferguson dianeferguson2@live.co.uk Sent: 2013-10-07 20:24:04
    Subject: Sony Vaio

Thank you for the fast reply.
    i am willing to proceed with the transaction now and pay you 260,that is 200 plus an extra 60 for postage & packaging as am buying the item for my son working in a telecom firm abroad. kindly login to your paypal account and select the request money button located at the top of your paypal account homepage and send the money request directly to my paypal account id which is dianeferguson2@live.co.uk so that i can submit payment to you via paypal right now as paypal is safe, fast and easy to send and receive money online.

If you dont have a paypal account just logon to www.paypal.com and set up your paypal account, after setting up your paypal account,locate the request money button located at the top of your paypal account home page, use it to request money directly from my paypal account which is dianeferguson2@live.co.uk. once I receive your money request from paypal, I will submit payment to you immediately.
    Get back asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,751 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't believe people would still fall for these scams, at least not anyone with any savvy at all.

Must be aimed at the real dunderheads or old folk who use the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭yeller

I got a similar email from a lady and they would put money in my paypal address as they were working abroad,
    was giving me the asking price

i played along but then got message saying that the company collecting the car on her behalf would require €50 as a admin charge or something but she would refund later, what a con

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

wouldnt be better contact paypal ? i had similar problem good few years ago, my thing was already packed with african address on it, but i had some bad feelings about it, and rang to paypal, and they advised do not ship that item, as something wrong was with that account.

believe it or not i got another two SMS today "get back to me on email"

From: james james6401@yahoo.com and johan johan180020@live.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 irishlad13

Do not reply to any emails from dianeferguson2@live.co.UK
    I got scammed from it over the last few days. I was selling an iPad and again like a post above she was buying it for her son working in a telecommunications company abroad. Asked me to write "a gift from mum" on the package. Trying to get it stopped by an post now. Not a chance though it going to Nigeria. Again she offered me €350 + 60 for P&P.
    I then received emails from PayPal saying they debited too much from dianes account and I needed to credit her the money back through western union before they would release the funds. Again after I done this and sent on confirmation another email from PayPal came through saying I needed to bring my account up to a certain amount as it was my first transaction. So again I fell twice.
    Contacted the guards and there is nothing they can do. And money is collected on the otherside within an hour or so.
    Posting here in the hope that it helps someone else not get scammed. €1000 down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

irishlad13 wrote: »
    I got scammed
    Oh CHRIST please tell me this is a wind up

simpsons-haha.jpg

How does the scam work exactly ?

I got scammed from it over the last few days. I was selling an iPad and again like a post above she was buying it for her son working in a telecommunications company abroad. Asked me to write "a gift from mum" on the package. Trying to get it stopped by an post now. Not a chance though it going to Nigeria. Again she offered me €350 + 60 for P&P.
    I then received emails from PayPal saying they debited too much from dianes account and I needed to credit her the money back through western union before they would release the funds. Again after I done this and sent on confirmation another email from PayPal came through saying I needed to bring my account up to a certain amount as it was my first transaction. So again I fell twice.
    Contacted the guards and there is nothing they can do. And money is collected on the otherside within an hour or so.
    Posting here in the hope that it helps someone else not get scammed. €1000 down the drain.

i feel sorry for you

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

How does the scam work exactly ?

Simply due to the fact that there is a sucker born every minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

YOU SENT AN IPAD TO NIGERIA AND NO ALARM BELLS WENT OFF?!?!

Don't have kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

How the hell are people still falling for this crap??

Armadillo wrote: »
    Simply due to the fact that there is a sucker born every minute...

Oh right Ted!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement