Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underground swa joint kit

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi, I need to join 3 x 3core 6squared SWA cables underground. The Tee joint kits are quite expensive and they look to me like the resin does all the sealing. So, I was thinking I'd just buy the resin which is very cheap here http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SWJKRESIN.html and make junction in an ip rated box which I could then fill with the resin. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Just go down to your local wholesaler. They will have what you need. As for cost. Think of the cost of digging it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

mpj2 joint kit costs approx 23 euro inc vat.
    it does 4-10 sq cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

as above the mpj2 really is the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If you are just using a standard box and adding the resin, make sure the joint box is water tight prior to adding the resin as it can run out of the box before it sets which is a pain in the arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

also avoid getting the resin on your hands my god;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    as above the mpj2 really is the job:D
    Isn't that just a straight through joint kit rather than a Tee? I need a tee joint kit. I rang Wesco and my local electrical wholesaler and neither even have 3 way joint kits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

I dont see a problem with the way you are going to do it. Just make sure the resin has time to set properly and that there is enough resin in the junction box to cover all the connections. The case on the cellpack is just to hold the resin in so using a junction box or whatever will have the same result. Make sure you leave some stands of the steel wire armour on each cable and connect them all together or if you are going to gland to a juntion box connect each gland to keep the armour on each cable earthed

Advertisement