Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stirring the wort

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I'm currently making a Coopers Australian Lager brew kit. It has been 3 weeks since brew day. On the surface of the wort there is dry looking yeast and some bubbles. I took a final OG and calculated the ABV to be 3.2%.

This seems quite low. If I were to give it a stir would this ruin the batch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

3weeks is really long, usually done in 7days and then bottle, why have you it brewing for so long? air will mix with the yeast if you go stirring, you shouldnt really have the top off untill you go bottling.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

what tempeture has it been at for the last 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

Kept it at around 17-18 Celsius

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

What reading did you get with the hydromter when measuring the final gravity,also the originl gravity? Kits generally finish in the 1012 to 1016 range. It might be finished fermenting depending on hydrometer readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭keano89

mayto wrote: »
    What reading did you get with the hydromter when measuring the final gravity,also the originl gravity? Kits generally finish in the 1012 to 1016 range. It might be finished fermenting depending on hydrometer readings.

Got an original reading of 1.035 and a final reading of 1.010.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Did you add anything other than what was in the tin? 1035 OG seems a bit low to me - recently I've done three different kits, and the OG in them was in the 1045-1050 range, down to 1014-1018 FG.

I added 500g bags of dark Spraymalt to two of them though, and one kit came with a bag of white "Brew Enhancer".

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭3dsteel

keano89 wrote: »
    Got an original reading of 1.035 and a final reading of 1.010.

The original reading does seem low but maybe your kit/sugar were not fully dissolved in the water when you took it? This shouldn't effect the finished beer, the yeast should still eat it up :) I did this kit with the brew enhancer 1 and got a OG of 1.044.

I'd say you're safe to bottle, 3 weeks is loads of time and the final gravity of 1.010 sounds about as low as it will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

1035 is a little low to start most of my Aus lagers were 1038-1040
    If your beer in still hazy, consider leaving in secondary for a couple of weeks, it will improve your clarity and clean taste and also there will still be plenty of yeast left to carbonate, it will just take a little longer.

Advertisement