Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy/Dog Recommendation?

• 07-03-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Firstly I'm sure you are all getting sick of these type of threads so I apologise in advance but I am genuinely looking for advice and am willing to take any help on board.

We are currently renting a house with an extremely secure back garden (would actually be impossible for dog to escape) and are interested in getting a puppy. We are waiting on our landlord to get back to us with permission but the previous tenant had a dog so am hoping there won't be any issue.

We would like a puppy as we want to be able to teach the dog everything and really we want a dog that grows up with us, we 100% know its history etc. My dream dog is a boxer but I think we'd be better with a smaller dog. My husband always had a dog growing up, I've never had one but have spent a lot of one around them.

From reading and friends experiences it seems like crate training is the way to go. The dog would live in the house with us. My husband works long hours during the week but is off every weekend. I work at weekends and a few days during the week. I have found someone locally who will call in and spend some time with the dog/bring them for a walk on the days we are both working, and my dad would mind the dog if we go away. (Incidentally if anyone knows of anyone else in the Leixlip/Maynooth area please pm me).

I would like a pug, himself isn't mad on them - I don't like dogs with really pointy noses... I appreciate this sounds like we are very shallow but I know I will adore out dog and they will really be a member of our family but head are just preferences

Any help/advice/warnings gratefully expected

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It looks like you're putting a lot of thought into this op, and that'll stand to you! I know a lovely lady in Celbridge who minds dogs in her home.
    But aside from that, have a look at http://www.dogstardaily.com, you'll find two books available for free download on it and plenty more besides. These book are "Before You Get Your Puppy" and, wait for it, "After You Get Your Puppy". Both written by the world's best known puppy behaviourist Dr. Ian Dunbar.
    Flat faced little breeds other than the Pug might include Boston Terriers, French Bulldogs (both hilarious, lovely breeds), Tibetan Spaniel, Cavalier King Charles, Shih Tsu, Lhasa Apso, and more, but these would all be that bit easier to source. All flatter-faced breeds can have respiratory issues, so it's important to hold out for a good breeder, you should be able to find decent breeders via the Irish Kennel Club or breed societies, but even still you need to really satisfy yourself that they're above board, ethical, and demonstrably breeding away from health problems.
    Good luck with your search!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My first bit of advice is to take your time and don't rush into anything until you've done plenty of research. A dog is for life etc etc..(its cliché but true)!

So, you have a few options depending on whether you want to go the rescue or breeder route. I can PM you lots of names of rescues that are within your catchment area, where they will literally have all types of dogs from pedigree to mongrel, puppy to elderly. You should spend some time visiting them and getting a feel for the type of dog that you think will suit and ask lots of questions. Lots of rescues are looking for fosterers for their dogs too, you could sign up to be homechecked and foster a dog for a short time and see how you get on. It will give you a big taster of what to expect and who knows you could become a "failed fosterer" and fall in love and keep the dog.:D

There is no guarantee healthwise with any dog you get but try and minimise the stress to both yourself and the animal by researching the most common genetic conditions in the breeds you like. You mentioned Pugs. They are a great little dog but are what is known as a brachycephalic or short nosed breed and are prone to issues such as elongated soft palates for example. Would you be prepared to spend the money fixing this and the many other health issues they suffer from fairly early in the dogs life? A bill of potentially €1000-2000 depending on the severity of the conditions they have. This is not me exaggerating, ive seen grown men in tears when presented with a veterinary bill of this amount so soon into owning their dog.

I don't recommend buying puppies from the various well known online "for sale" sites in Ireland. If you want a particularly pedigree, are willing to pay and wait for the right dog then contact the Irish Kennel Club and the various breed clubs in the country. They will point you in the right direction and tell you who to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

anniehoo wrote: »

So, you have a few options depending on whether you want to go the rescue or breeder route. I can PM you lots of names of rescues that are within your catchment area, where they will literally have all types of dogs from pedigree to mongrel, puppy to elderly. You should spend some time visiting them and getting a feel for the type of dog that you think will suit and ask lots of questions. Lots of rescues are looking for fosterers for their dogs too, you could sign up to be homechecked and foster a dog for a short time and see how you get on. It will give you a big taster of what to expect and who knows you could become a "failed fosterer" and fall in love and keep the dog.:D

If you could I'd really appreciate it! We're not set on having a particular breed so would be willing to have a look around the rescues and see if there's anyone there that calls out to us!

PM sent ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

Firstly I'm sure you are all getting sick of these type of threads so I apologise in advance but I am genuinely looking for advice and am willing to take any help on board.

We are currently renting a house with an extremely secure back garden (would actually be impossible for dog to escape) and are interested in getting a puppy. We are waiting on our landlord to get back to us with permission but the previous tenant had a dog so am hoping there won't be any issue.

We would like a puppy as we want to be able to teach the dog everything and really we want a dog that grows up with us, we 100% know its history etc. My dream dog is a boxer but I think we'd be better with a smaller dog. My husband always had a dog growing up, I've never had one but have spent a lot of one around them.

From reading and friends experiences it seems like crate training is the way to go. The dog would live in the house with us. My husband works long hours during the week but is off every weekend. I work at weekends and a few days during the week. I have found someone locally who will call in and spend some time with the dog/bring them for a walk on the days we are both working, and my dad would mind the dog if we go away. (Incidentally if anyone knows of anyone else in the Leixlip/Maynooth area please pm me).

I would like a pug, himself isn't mad on them - I don't like dogs with really pointy noses... I appreciate this sounds like we are very shallow but I know I will adore out dog and they will really be a member of our family but head are just preferences

Any help/advice/warnings gratefully expected

This is an interesting tool give it a try

http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html

• Advertisement

I 95% matched to a Pug LOL!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I got 97% for a cocker or Newfie :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I got 98% Irish Setter!:D:D Spot on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I got 97% for an English Setter! How cool is that, seeing as I have two of them?

I got 98% for an Irish Setter and I definitely plan to have one of those in the future. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Spot on - 96% retriever :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

No surprises that its a Bernese for me:D I adore them but it'll be a few years before we can get 1:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

i got 98% for a cocker spaniel.... spot on ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

I got a parson russell terrier which is the dog i am thinking of getting its very accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Tried that tool and I got a Schipperke! Cute dogs, but I have a Shih Tzu...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

got 95% an english setter and the OH has one so not too far off haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I get all variations of spaniel plus a wheaten terrier in my top matches when I do that. If I change my answer with regard to being friendly to other animals I get 96% Kerry Blue:D (grouchy gits)

Advertisement