Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding deposit refund

Options
  • 07-03-2013 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

can someone give me advice on this, I am getting married July this year and I have a deposit of 1,000 e paid to the hotel. I am really happy with the hotel and would never have looked for the deposit back only for the hotel went into receivership wed 6th march, the hotel has assured me that the date is ok and the hotel will continue as normal as the hotel has a constant cash flow. I have not asked the hotel for my deposit back yet but I feel the need to look around for another hotel as the wedding is in 4 months and if the hotel is closed then my day is ruined and I might not get another hotel in time. I know that the deposit is non refundable but is there any grounds were I can ask for it back due to the hotel been in receivership. any help on this would be really appreciated.:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dugslinda1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

can someone give me advice on this, I am getting married July this year and I have a deposit of 1,000 e paid to the hotel. I am really happy with the hotel and would never have looked for the deposit back only for the hotel went into receivership wed 6th march, the hotel has assured me that the date is ok and the hotel will continue as normal as the hotel has a constant cash flow. I have not asked the hotel for my deposit back yet but I feel the need to look around for another hotel as the wedding is in 4 months and if the hotel is closed then my day is ruined and I might not get another hotel in time. I know that the deposit is non refundable but is there any grounds were I can ask for it back due to the hotel been in receivership. any help on this would be really appreciated.:(

This is why I paid our deposit by credit card.
    Its was fine in the end but could have done a charge back if necessary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

dugslinda1 wrote: »
    I know that the deposit is non refundable but is there any grounds were I can ask for it back due to the hotel been in receivership. any help on this would be really appreciated.:(
    Short of having paid by a CC you have no way of getting it back; esp. as it's in receivership.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Koops80

This is why I paid our deposit by credit card.
    Its was fine in the end but could have done a charge back if necessary.

Do you realise chargeback a only go back 120 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Ask them for a refund and tell them you will will pay the deposit again by credit card or post dated cheque, just in case they go belly up. If the are confident about the hotel then this shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Koops80 wrote: »

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,997 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Koops80 wrote: »

Is it not 120 days from breach of contract?
    RoboRat wrote: »
    Ask them for a refund and tell them you will will pay the deposit again by credit card or post dated cheque, just in case they go belly up. If the are confident about the hotel then this shouldn't be an issue.

You can lodge and get the money before the date on the cheque. CC is the only safe way to pay any deposits

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can lodge and get the money before the date on the cheque....
    Only if the bank teller fails to spot the date. The bank is exposed to risk if the drawer subsequently stops the cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The deposit the OP paid made her a creditor of the company before the receiver was appointed. If the receiver tells her to PFO there's not much she can do so the fact that they are keeping the date for her represents an element of goodwill but if she decides to walk then legally the receiver owes her nothing.

The hotel is now effectively owned and run by the receiver, the OP is an unsecured creditor of the company whom the receiver displaced and not of the hotel itself. Legally the receiver cannot give her back the deposit because he doesn't owe her the money.

Advertisement