Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Walking Around Money, Mon-Fri

• 08-03-2013 12:00am
    Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭

50 euro is nothing compared to 50 a few years ago.
    5/6 years ago a 50 would do me a full working week without going out on the razz or going to the ATM. I could put 20 petrol in the car and get a sambo at lunchtime, do the 2 euro lotto on a wednesday etc and maybe a sliced pan or milk on the way home or whatever.
    How much ''Walking Around Money'' do you spend Monday to Friday ?
    Going out is Different !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

about 100

Most of that is on coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

About three fiddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

three fiddy

• Site Banned Posts: 194 ✭✭andym1

seb65 wrote: »
    about 100

Most of that is on coffee.
    Do you sleep ?

What's a few years ago? It would last me longer than it would have 6 years ago, most discretionary bits and pieces seem cheaper now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

About 47 cents.

On a good week.

I'm poor. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

About 30 i would think. I bring my lunch to work with me , so that'd be on coffee's and the odd scratch card, stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

El Guapo! wrote: »
    About 47 cents.

On a good week.

I'm poor. :(

I threw at least 70 cents into your cup today! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Impossible to say. Some weeks I could have the same pair of 20s in my wallet all week, another week I could have to spend multiples of that on freak unexpected expenditure like a new car battery or a cat manicure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

€50-€60 I'd say.
    I get €144 a week, €30 for petrol, €50 into savings and the rest is fair game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

RainMaker wrote: »

I threw at least 70 cents into your cup today! :D
    There's a hole in the bottom. I can't even afford a new cup!

CianRyan wrote: »
    €50-€60 I'd say.
    I get €144 a week, €30 for petrol, €50 into savings and the rest is fair game.
    I assume somebody else is paying for the mundane boring stuff like shelter ,food, power etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

andym1 wrote: »
    Do you sleep ?

it relaxes me actually. Perhaps because i'm so addicted to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Fcuk.. some days I need to dive down the back of the sofa before leaving the house.

And that's not sexual innuendo either

I assume somebody else is paying for the mundane boring stuff like shelter ,food, power etc ?

That'd be my parents.
    I do buy a fair bit of my own food though, I try to eat right and my parents eat a lot of food from jars. That all comes out of my €50-€60.

That'd be my parents.
    I do buy a fair bit of my own food though, I try to eat right and my parents eat a lot of food from jars. That all comes out of my €50-€60.

Now I am curious ! ''My Parents eat a lot of food from jars'' ? Forget the original Question, you have me curious now...Spill the beans on the jar issue ?

PLEASE ! This could be a super thread !

Now I am curious ! ''My Parents eat a lot of food from jars'' ? Forget the original Question, you have me curious now...Spill the beans on the jar issue ?

Curries from jars, chilli from jars, etc. they're full of salt and fat and **** I don't need.
    I still binge in take away and **** on the weekends but day to day I eat healthier and train. Trying to loose weight and staying on these ain't gonna help.

They're not eating baby food or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

If I need to buy milk then €1.65, otherwise, on average a little over zero.

Saying that, I'd usually have anywhere between €20 - 100 in my wallet. I do most of my spending on Saturday and Sunday.

Curries from jars, chilli from jars, etc. they're full of salt and fat and **** I don't need.
    I still binge in take away and **** on the weekends but day to day I eat healthier and train. Trying to loose weight and staying on these ain't gonna help.

They're not eating baby food or anything.
    Ok Cian, Gotcha ! If you had to do your own weekly shop, what would YOU buy ?

Sarn wrote: »

Saying that, I'd usually have anywhere between €20 - 100 in my wallet. I do most of my spending on Saturday and Sunday.
    Coppers ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

50 euro is a lot to a lot of people.

Some perspective here please?

Ok Cian, Gotcha ! If you had to do your own weekly shop, what would YOU buy ?

Lots of fruit, mangos, passion fruit, not just the usual as I get bored of it and end up not eating it. Loads of Bananas. Lean meats, sweet potatoes semi skimmed milk because fu grey water. Porridge, flax seeds.

I don't like this thinking stuff!
    Really, I just go and buy what I think I need, I don't do one shop for the week. I'd go maybe 2 or 3 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

I'm a rich Civil servant, so HAHA

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

About 10 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aquaman

How much ''Walking Around Money'' do you spend Monday to Friday

€10,000
    Gator needs some walking around money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

About 100 euro. Filters for my e-cig cost 15 euro, two coffees every day while in work (5 per day x 6 days = 30 euro), travel to and from work each day is around 30 euro, lunch twice a week (too busy to eat lunch, even if I bring it in, every other day) = 15 euro and about a tenner goes on stupid stuff like a magazine if I'm bored, or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I've had extra frugal weeks where it's been €0. Most weeks I can get by on €20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Chao

At least 150 euro a week, I eat out everyday really need to stop that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Between 20 and 40. 40 is if I have to get taxis a couple of days, otherwise it's mostly on bus fare, coke and lunch out once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Bout a tenner. Thats bus fares and lunches over 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭ashers222

When I wasn't working I tried to make sure I had 20 in my pocket on Monday morning to last til thursday, covered coffee, tobacco and emergency rations. I spend at least that much per day every day when I'm working.

Depends if I'm on the beer or not!!

Very little if I'm not as I use the debit card for almost everything.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I rarely have any cash during the week. Credit card and lunch vouchers only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Filters for my e-cig cost 15 euro.

Non smoker here, but are you telling me that these e-cig things require regular replacement filters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I suppose about 20 Euro which is spent on coffees, the odd glass of wine/snazzy Belgian beer and the newspaper. I eat at home and bring a bag of nuts for snacks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

About €40 would do me Mon - Fri and around €20 of that would be spent on paying for football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Fridays are my Saturdays so I'll say Monday-Thursday.
    Easily €100-€ 150 for those four days.
    I'm a 20a day smoker, litre a day coffee drinker and I eat out for lunch every day which would be €10-€15 a pop.
    On the upside though, I fill my water bottles at home so I'm saving nearly €3 euro a day on water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    About 100 euro. Filters for my e-cig cost 15 euro, two coffees every day while in work (5 per day x 6 days = 30 euro), travel to and from work each day is around 30 euro, lunch twice a week (too busy to eat lunch, even if I bring it in, every other day) = 15 euro and about a tenner goes on stupid stuff like a magazine if I'm bored, or something like that.

2 coffees every day = 5 per day x 6 days????? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

50 euro is nothing compared to 50 a few years ago.
    5/6 years ago a 50 would do me a full working week without going out on the razz or going to the ATM. I could put 20 petrol in the car and get a sambo at lunchtime, do the 2 euro lotto on a wednesday etc and maybe a sliced pan or milk on the way home or whatever.
    How much ''Walking Around Money'' do you spend Monday to Friday ?
    Going out is Different !

I'm confused.

A litre of petrol in 2008 was 1.27 so the equivalent of €20 would be €25.67 (using a current petrol price of 1.63)

As far as I'm aware the 2 Euro lotto on a Wednesday still costs €2.

According to here http://ireland.angloinfo.com/money/eu-factsheets/cost-of-living/ the cost of living has decreased since 2008.

So your €50 note should get you roughly the same as it did in 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Less than €20 would do me. That covers parking for three days, the occasional lunch or snack (about once a week) and sometimes a magazine or newspaper. I bring my lunch to work most days, and I've cut out the takeaway coffee habit.

I tend to spend whatever I have left after the weekend, so sometimes I get by on just €10, sometimes it's more. If I've no cash on me, I cut out the little purchases that tend to add up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

About €40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Dagda wrote: »

Non smoker here, but are you telling me that these e-cig things require regular replacement filters?
    not at all, they're made by Jesus enterprises using his loafs and fishes technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I take it people come home from work and dont leave their house until its time to go to work the next morning . Thats pretty sad .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Feck all really - I spend 80 cent on breakfast every morning, lunch is free, spend another 50c-€1 on a snack most afternoons, tea and coffee are free. Weekly grocery shop is about €40. Petrol - I put in €60 three weeks ago and the needle is only tipping the red now, so say €20 a week. I go training every night which is €60 a month/~€14 a week, I'm too knackered afterwards to do anything on weeknights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

2,000 on brass, 500 on coke, 500 for bookies, so about 3k normally does me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

TheNap wrote: »
    I take it people come home from work and dont leave their house until its time to go to work the next morning . Thats pretty sad .

Some of us have kids. As well as the expense and inconvenience of organising babysitting, I'm perfectly content to just have a few hours to myself to read or watch TV after my child goes to sleep. It's the only time of day that's mine, where I don't have to do anything.

The Dagda wrote: »

The ones I sell (and also buy for myself) do. There are some where you replace the liquid in them, but that's too messy for me to do, so I buy ones that I also sell, with replacement filters, so you get around 200 smokes for 15 euro.

2 coffees every day = 5 per day x 6 days????? :confused:

5 euro per day (2.50 for each coffee where I work), I work 6 days a week minimum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sarn wrote: »
    Ohhh fancy brand name milk :P

ordinary milk not good enough ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

I used to be a fiend for Coca Cola - and that could easily be 8€ daily x 5, that and ducking into McDonalds for a quick, unhealthy lunch on the go. Definitely adds up over time.

I rarely eat out now as I prepare meals at home and steadily saving a mini-fortune, and my health.

Usually €70 or thereabouts in the wallet, but rarely spend come Friday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement