Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Oil

Options
  • 08-03-2013 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Has any one seen this apart from health food shops where it's €20 odd for a jar, heard its great for hair growth among other uses, do dunnes / Tesco stock it TIA

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

dunners,supervalu and superquinn have it. only seen it in dunnes/superquinn myself but never really went looking in supervalu

the stuff in superquinn is cocowel and it's 5.99 for 500ml, raw/virgin/unprocessed so all good for whatever use you have for it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can get bottles of coconut oil easily in any good Asian store. Be aware that it has a relatively high melting point, so in a cold-ish shop environment it may well set fully or partially solid in the bottle. In a warm house it'll liquefy to a clear liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Holly Golightly9

Are you planning on applying it to your hair or using it in cooking? I know it has a high saturated fat content if you're using it as a cooking oil substitute, though I have heard it can be great for nails, skin and hair. The Asian store on Moore street stocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The asian shops stuff is usually not virgin oil, there is debate over whether you really need it to be the virgin oil. I don't bother with it, any stuff I got in asian shops had no trans fats.

Advertisement