Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finance Masters where to go?

• 08-03-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,

I am currently a Finance and Accounting student with an expected final 2.1 grade and I have to make my decisions about where to pursue my masters.

I would love to do a masters in the Smurfit but sadly I simply do not have the money, same basic story with TCD.

I have been looking into the MA in Finance in NUIM and the Msc in Finance and Capital Markets in DCU.

Does anyone have any opinions on these courses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

It really depends on what you want to do with your career, but generally I would be in favour of taking the CFA program instead of a Masters. It is a more widely recognised program internationally than a lot of Masters degrees. If you want any more info on the program just give me a shout.

You can also work hard at getting a job while you are taking the program. It's tough getting a job in finance these days. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 seanog911

Take this from a person who was in your exact same boat last year. I got into UCD, TCD, DIT, NUIM, DBS and UL all for MSC in Finance. I even applied to UCD for their MSC in Computer Science and got in. The only problem was I did not know what to do. If you are interested in Finance I would recommend doing the ACCA programme. You will have a professional qualification in Accounting but learn a lot of Finance and it should cost you the same amount as any f the above MSC.

I am doing it at the moment and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

NUIM has the best finance program in The country. The central bank highers Nuim graduates with masters in finance ahead of any college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

murra wrote: »
    NUIM has the best finance program in The country. The central bank highers Nuim graduates with masters in finance ahead of any college

Spoken like a true alumni member. :)

For any Business (such as MBA) or Finance post grad qualifications, Smurfit Business School is absolutely miles ahead of anything else in the country. It is internationally recognised as such also.

Featured as 35th best in world by Financial Times

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-finance-pre-experience-2012

And in the QS rankings (pretty much the accepted standard barer for university rankings world wide) Smurfit Business School MSc Finance is ranked 33rd best finance masters on planet.

http://www.best-masters.com/html2pdf/pdf/topics_classement.php?&spec=financial-markets&PHPSESSID=bf4d88796037ba8405285e1c687739e9

NUI Maynooth does not feature in the top 100 of either...

Advertisement