Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting directly to websites instead of going through loads of servers.

• 08-03-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Seen a post the other day about connecting to sites directly instead of going through your ISPs servers.

As you can see here ( http://i.imgur.com/LABu5jK.png?1 ) I done a tracert to www.youtube.com and instead on going directly to youtube i go through loads of other servers.

I heard that you could block this IP addresses and directly connect to youtube.

I don't know much about networking to be honest so this might be a load of bull that i heard.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

It's bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Cork981

No load of bull these hops are necessary in order to reach a specific destination.

What your implying would mean you'd need a direct single physical connection to every site.

There are such things as static routes but most Internet routing protocols will send your packets via the best route possible by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

The whole point of the internet's design is that it is a network of many connections between many nodes, leading to multiple paths between any two given points. If you have a single connection between two points then you have a single point of failure.

<Science bit>
    The US military wanted a network that would still work even if several nodes were taken out and came up with ARPANET, the granddaddy of the internet as we know it. This was around since the sixties and was only really used by the military and academic circles. Tim Berners-Lee came up with the World Wide Web and HTTP in the late 80s and the rest is history.
    </Science bit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Alun

... and they're not 'servers' they're routers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

GS540 wrote: »
    Seen a post the other day about connecting to sites directly instead of going through your ISPs servers.

I heard that you could block this IP addresses and directly connect to youtube.

I don't know much about networking to be honest so this might be a load of bull that i heard.

Whoever said that hasn't a clue how the internet works...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

This is a joke, right?

Advertisement