Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place To Buy These Items

Options
  • 08-03-2013 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hey, wondering if people would be able to tell me the best place to source these items. I'm building myself a pinch lifting apparatus (to build grip strength). They have to be these exact specs:

- 2x 1/4" Steel plates, 15.75" diameter
    - 1.5" (inner diameter) 1.9" (outer diameter) steel pipe, 30" length.
    - Rubber matts. 1 piece 3/8" thick
    1 piece 1/4" thick
    - 2x Spinlock Collars

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Hey, wondering if people would be able to tell me the best place to source these items. I'm building myself a pinch lifting apparatus (to build grip strength). They have to be these exact specs:

- 2x 1/4" Steel plates, 15.75" diameter
    - 1.5" (inner diameter) 1.9" (outer diameter) steel pipe, 30" length.
    - Rubber mats. 1 piece 3/8" thick; 1 piece 1/4" thick
    - 2x Spinlock Collars

Thanks guys
    Are you certain about the pipe skin thickness? According to your figures, the steel itself is 0.4" thick!

Also, it might be a good idea to convert those imperial measurements to metric (I know you said 'exact specs'). Anyway, you multiply inches by 25.4 to get mm.

So, your list would then read (hope I got the calculations right - maybe check them to be sure):

- 2x 6.35mm Steel plates, 400mm diameter
    - 38mm (inner diameter) 48.25mm (outer diameter) steel pipe, 762mm length.
    - Rubber mats. 1 piece 9.5mm thick; 1 piece 6.35mm thick
    - 2x Spinlock Collars

Could you round down the 6.35mm to 6mm, and the 48.25mm to 48mm (or up to 50mm in this case)?

I still think the pipe material sound thick at 10mm though! If you need these dimensions to arrive at a particular weight, you might consider using a thinner pipe (i.e. less than 10mm material) and securing some lead inside (balanced, of course) to achieve the equivalent weight.

Also, what are the length and width measurement for the rubber mats? You have only given the thickness.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Esel wrote: »
    Are you certain about the pipe skin thickness? According to your figures, the steel itself is 0.4" thick!

Also, it might be a good idea to convert those imperial measurements to metric (I know you said 'exact specs'). Anyway, you multiply inches by 25.4 to get mm.

So, your list would then read (hope I got the calculations right - maybe check them to be sure):

- 2x 6.35mm Steel plates, 400mm diameter
    - 38mm (inner diameter) 48.25mm (outer diameter) steel pipe, 762mm length.
    - Rubber mats. 1 piece 9.5mm thick; 1 piece 6.35mm thick
    - 2x Spinlock Collars

Could you round down the 6.35mm to 6mm, and the 48.25mm to 48mm (or up to 50mm in this case)?

I still think the pipe material sound thick at 10mm though! If you need these dimensions to arrive at a particular weight, you might consider using a thinner pipe (i.e. less than 10mm material) and securing some lead inside (balanced, of course) to achieve the equivalent weight.

Also, what are the length and width measurement for the rubber mats? You have only given the thickness.

The thing I'm building will (hopefully!) look like this at the end (watch the video)

http://diystrengthgear.blogspot.ie/2011/07/diy-euro-pinch-device.html?m=1

You're pretty much right with the mm specs but can't really round anything off. I'm having a bit of trouble finding good rubber so was thinking of ordering this (http://www.safecareireland.com/products/product/c/rubber-safety-matting/p/rubber-surface-1m-x1m.html) because it's the closest to perfect I can find. Would only buy one and cut 3 plates, the size of the steel plates, out. Could shave a few mm off the thickness of one.

This reply would've been a lot more comprehensive but I'm on my phone.

The thing I'm building will (hopefully!) look like this at the end (watch the video)

http://diystrengthgear.blogspot.ie/2011/07/diy-euro-pinch-device.html?m=1

You're pretty much right with the mm specs but can't really round anything off. I'm having a bit of trouble finding good rubber so was thinking of ordering this (http://www.safecareireland.com/products/product/c/rubber-safety-matting/p/rubber-surface-1m-x1m.html) because it's the closest to perfect I can find. Would only buy one and cut 3 plates, the size of the steel plates, out. Could shave a few mm off the thickness of one.

This reply would've been a lot more comprehensive but I'm on my phone.
    The guy trimming the rubber at the end of the video is a twat. If the scraper had slipped, he would have sliced his other hand open. Basic rule with sharp tools: Always work away from yourself (i.e.outwards). Have no body part facing the sharp end of the tool. In this case, the operator is a tool. Also, drilling between his legs like that... I would look for better, safer, more professional instructions tbh. Actually, the entire video is crap. No informative voice-over, just a Top Gun backing track...

Regarding the rubber, the mats used in the video were off-the-shelf sizes (4' x 6'), bought to achieve a total rubber disc thickness of 3.75' or 95mm. Three (3) discs (as you propose) of 18mm thickness will only yield 54mm total thickness. You would need a total of five (5) discs to get close (90mm).

From the limited information so far, I don't think the measurements are particularly critical (US video, default imperial measurements), and so you could probably round them as follows:

- 2x 6mm Steel plates, 400mm diameter
    - Steel pipe:
    --762mm long, 38mm (inner diameter) 48mm (outer diameter)
    - Rubber mats: (or 5x 18mm discs as above)
    -- 1x 1500m long, 1000m wide, 10mm thick
    -- 1x 1500m long, 1000m wide, 6mm thick
    - 2x Spinlock Collars

Anyway, where to source the components? :)

Steel plates: From an engineering workshop

Rubber mats: The 18mm one you linked, just get enough for five (5) discs. Have the discs cut in the engineering shop too. Could you use wood for this? You could get this cut to exact size in a small timber suppliers (or in the engineering workshop).

Steel pipe: Plumbing Supplies? Or. more likely, engineering workshop.

Spinlock collars: eBay? or Google with site:*.ie in the search box. Or you could have the engineering shop make two (2) small discs that would be a press fit. This should do the job, and be cheaper. Unless you will need to dismantle the equipment later, obviously.

Actually, if you supply the mats (or the wood), any engineering shop should be able to make the entire device for you, and they would ensure that all edges are chamfered or bevelled for the user's safety (that's you! :)) Just don't show them that video... If you are doing it yourself, be sure to file and sand all the edges (pipe and plates) to remove all sharp edges and points for your own safety when using the device.

Just realised that the thread has gone way off 'Dublin city'! Would it be better in the Health & Fitness forum?

Not your ornery onager

The guy trimming the rubber at the end of the video is a twat. If the scraper had slipped, he would have sliced his other hand open. Basic rule with sharp tools: Always work away from yourself (i.e.outwards). Have no body part facing the sharp end of the tool. In this case, the operator is a tool. Also, drilling between his legs like that... I would look for better, safer, more professional instructions tbh. Actually, the entire video is crap. No informative voice-over, just a Top Gun backing track...

Regarding the rubber, the mats used in the video were off-the-shelf sizes (4' x 6'), bought to achieve a total rubber disc thickness of 3.75' or 95mm. Three (3) discs (as you propose) of 18mm thickness will only yield 54mm total thickness. You would need a total of five (5) discs to get close (90mm).

From the limited information so far, I don't think the measurements are particularly critical (US video, default imperial measurements), and so you could probably round them as follows:

- 2x 6mm Steel plates, 400mm diameter
    - Steel pipe:
    --762mm long, 38mm (inner diameter) 48mm (outer diameter)
    - Rubber mats: (or 5x 18mm discs as above)
    -- 1x 1500m long, 1000m wide, 10mm thick
    -- 1x 1500m long, 1000m wide, 6mm thick
    - 2x Spinlock Collars

Anyway, where to source the components? :)

Steel plates: From an engineering workshop

Rubber mats: The 18mm one you linked, just get enough for five (5) discs. Have the discs cut in the engineering shop too. Could you use wood for this? You could get this cut to exact size in a small timber suppliers (or in the engineering workshop).

Steel pipe: Plumbing Supplies? Or. more likely, engineering workshop.

Spinlock collars: eBay? or Google with site:*.ie in the search box. Or you could have the engineering shop make two (2) small discs that would be a press fit. This should do the job, and be cheaper. Unless you will need to dismantle the equipment later, obviously.

Actually, if you supply the mats (or the wood), any engineering shop should be able to make the entire device for you, and they would ensure that all edges are chamfered or bevelled for the user's safety (that's you! :)) Just don't show them that video... If you are doing it yourself, be sure to file and sand all the edges (pipe and plates) to remove all sharp edges and points for your own safety when using the device.

Just realised that the thread has gone way off 'Dublin city'! Would it be better in the Health & Fitness forum?

Yeah the video is kinda crap but this isn't a very popular item so it's the best I have to work with. Once I can source all the material I'll have no trouble building it.

It has to be as close to spec as possible. Reason being, in the grip sport world people are competing and doing feats of strength mostly through video so your apparatus has to match someone else's pretty much precisely to make it as even as possible.

The thickness between the two plates, with the rubber plates in between, needs to be 64mm.

Do you know any good engineering shops that would do this?

I posted in a couple of forums and figured dublin city was appropriate because I'm looking for location suggestions on where to pick up material, not information on grip training.

Yeah the video is kinda crap but this isn't a very popular item so it's the best I have to work with. Once I can source all the material I'll have no trouble building it.

It has to be as close to spec as possible. Reason being, in the grip sport world people are competing and doing feats of strength mostly through video so your apparatus has to match someone else's pretty much precisely to make it as even as possible.

The thickness between the two plates, with the rubber plates in between, needs to be 64mm.

Do you know any good engineering shops that would do this?

I posted in a couple of forums and figured dublin city was appropriate because I'm looking for location suggestions on where to pick up material, not information on grip training.
    But from the specs you gave, and the video, I calculate that you need a total rubber disc thickness of 3.75' or 95mm. So where are you getting 64mm from?

Also, you have no specification for the density / weight of the rubber (i.e. Kg per sq. m. or lbs per sq. foot - referring to the mats here).

Ffs, even the apparent originator's website (David Horne, and he seems to be selling a geansaí load of gear...) has no details on the kuffin' thing!
    Well then you need to do a lot more research before either building one yourself or having one built.

I mean, I don't even know how it is used, but if I could build one from 'hollow' or lightweight materials that looked correct on a tiny video on the Internet, and used it to perform apparently unbeatable feats, would I then be the World Champion (Internet, not verified)?

By the way, I know a very effective way to thwart a knuckle-crunching handshaker. It doesn't involve inflicting any pain on the protagonist, but the expression on their face is priceless - "Why is this not working???" While I just smile at them.

And with that, I'm out.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

But from the specs you gave, and the video, I calculate that you need a total rubber disc thickness of 3.75' or 95mm. So where are you getting 64mm from?

Also, you have no specification for the density / weight of the rubber (i.e. Kg per sq. m. or lbs per sq. foot - referring to the mats here).

Ffs, even the apparent originator's website (David Horne, and he seems to be selling a geansaí load of gear...) has no details on the kuffin' thing!

Well then you need to do a lot more research before either building one yourself or having one built.

I mean, I don't even know how it is used, but if I could build one from 'hollow' or lightweight materials that looked correct on a tiny video on the Internet, and used it to perform apparently unbeatable feats, would I then be the World Champion (Internet, not verified)?

By the way, I know a very effective way to thwart a knuckle-crunching handshaker. It doesn't involve inflicting any pain on the protagonist, but the expression on their face is priceless - "Why is this not working???" While I just smile at them.

And with that, I'm out.

The two plates are 1/4" thick (6.3500 x 2 = 12.7mm) and the 6 rubber matts are 2x 1/4"(12.7mm) and 4x 3/8 (38.1mm).

So, 12.7 + 12.7 + 38.1 = 63.5mm/2.5" (total thickness)

The rubber needs to be pretty dense. I.e not easily mailable.

It's an item that he hasn't made in quite some time. As I said before, it's not a very popular item and grip sport isn't exactly the most popular sport so most of the guys make their own gear. It's verified by weighing the item before each lift.

If you ever met someone who trained grip specifically (and not just crush grip) I'd put money on it they hurt your hand either way :P

Thanks for the help anyway dude.

The two plates are 1/4" thick (6.3500 x 2 = 12.7mm) and the 6 rubber matts are 2x 1/4"(12.7mm) and 4x 3/8 (38.1mm).

If you ever met someone who trained grip specifically (and not just crush grip) I'd put money on it they hurt your hand either way :P

Thanks for the help anyway dude.
    See, that is not what was given earlier. The video said "each makes 6 discs", and this effectively implied that 6 discs from each mat were used in the construction. Not surprised, though -as I said, the video is crap.

Regarding a trained 'gripper' hurting my hand: if that was happening, I would just have to hurt them back. Only worse, hopefully.

Anyway, good luck with the pinching! :)

Not your ornery onager

See, that is not what was given earlier. The video said "each makes 6 discs", and this effectively implied that 6 discs from each mat were used in the construction. Not surprised, though -as I said, the video is crap.

Regarding a trained 'gripper' hurting my hand: if that was happening, I would just have to hurt them back. Only worse, hopefully.

Anyway, good luck with the pinching! :)

Ah, I see why you thought that. Yeah, the video is shocking! But I've read enough about it to have a clue about what to do.

Haha, yeah, if some guy was squeezing my hand like that I'd have to boot the balls off him!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement