Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy robbing clothes

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Thanks folks seems the crate training is way to go
    Guess I'm coMparing her to my Akita who never really put a foot wrong and never bothered with robbing clothes ( except when he tried to sneak into my bed at night little sh1t :) )

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How did I know you were going to do that?! :P :pac:

So, now I'm predictable, am I? Hmm?

PERMABANNED
    (is that really a real word?)

*mwa ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa*
    :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

DBB wrote: »
    So, now I'm predictable, am I? Hmm?

PERMABANNED
    (is that really a real word?)

*mwa ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaa*
    :-p

Noooo now where will I get my daily fix of animals?!?!

Back on topic :P OP I know it's hard not to compare but every dog is different, and she is still just a baby so plenty of time and patience should put her right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Noooo now where will I get my daily fix of animals?!?!

Back on topic :P OP I know it's hard not to compare but every dog is different, and she is still just a baby so plenty of time and patience should put her right :)

sumtin wrong i thought you cant post if ur permabanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

jimf wrote: »
    sumtin wrong i thought you cant post if ur permabanned

DBB would never really do that, she'd miss me too much :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Sucking up to the mod :P :P :pac:

Me Mammy told me that was how you got on in life. Now back to topic, I don't want to abuse my relationship with the mods and get banned. :D

DBB would never really do that, she'd miss me too much :P

Yes, the world just never has enough silly mangoes, I find :-D
    Don't think I don't know what ye're at here... Yiz are going to get me banned for dragging this thread off topic! :-D

Yes, the world just never has enough silly mangoes, I find :-D
    Don't think I don't know what ye're at here... Yiz are going to get me banned for dragging this thread off topic! :-D

As owner of this thread I am hereby banning DBB to be replaced by sillymango
    This is my word and as such is beyond contestation :pac: :p

As owner of this thread I am hereby banning DBB to be replaced by sillymango
    This is my word and as such is beyond contestation :pac: :p

:-(
    I'm sure there's no such word as contestation. Or the combination of words "banning" + "DBB", for that matter.

*smug Mrs. Doyle-style grin*

>_>
    <_<

*looks over shoulder for Hellrazer, AJ or Anniehoo*

:-o

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

OP, she is a puppy who has discovered that there is this wonderful box of stuff that smells like her pack and when she is alone she can smell her new family by taking this stuff out and getting comfort from that. I really think punishing her for this is counter-productive to bonding with her. The best thing would be to remove this source of temptation. Especially true of dirty clothes but also true of clean clothes as that is part of what you smell like in clean clothes to her. Scent is very important to a dog. It always amazes me that if I see my dog having what looks like a bad dream I can cup my hand around his nose, without touching, and my scent alone makes him go back to contented sleep.
    As to soiling inside if she can't last the time you have to leave her alone you need to set up an area where she can go or get up or let her out more often, the need for this will get less as she gets bigger and can hold it in longer. Newspaper that you can just fold up and put in the bin on an area you can disinfect is one option. The other is actually taking her out more often, but punishing her for something she can't help (you didn't say you did this but others have kind of suggested it) is not helpful. Another option is to have her sleep outside in a secure garden with a kennel, I doubt that she would soil a kennel if she had the option of going to the toilet elsewhere.
    At 11 weeks you've only had her 4 weeks or so, she is a toddler getting used of a new home and what you do now will make her the dog she will be in the future. Also since she can climb on a kitchen table at that age you have a wonderfully agile and clever dog, you maybe should look into agility classes etc. in the future, fun for all of you and keeping her brain active..

• Advertisement

:-(
    I'm sure there's no such word as contestation. Or the combination of words "banning" + "DBB", for that matter.

*smug Mrs. Doyle-style grin*

>_>
    <_<

Noun 1. contestation - a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement; "they were involved in a violent argument"

:D gigity

Noun 1. contestation - a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement; "they were involved in a violent argument"

:D gigity

Thanks Quagmire, you learn something new every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

wrote:

As a newbie Mod...i wouldn't dare...or would I??!!!:D:D

/LMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I leave the country for a few days, and a Mod gets owned :eek:

ISDW wrote: »
    I leave the country for a few days, and a Mod gets owned :eek:

Errrrr.... Banned?

*slinks away, hoping nobody noticed*

anniehoo wrote: »

As a newbie Mod...i wouldn't dare...or would I??!!!:D:D

/LMAO

*nervous laughter*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Our lad used to take the socks off your feet! and eat walls, skirting, clear the fridge, remove all cables from the TV, strip paint from the door without damaging the door its self. So a small problem of empting a cloths basket would have been heaven compared to what we went through.

OP, remove everything from the room the puppy sleep in, get up before herself and clean the place. As others have said, you may need to bring the puppy out for a toilet break....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

I read this as puppy-robbing clothes... as in what clothes would one wear when robbing puppies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Gramar,
    Can I direct you to a website, written by qualified trainers and behaviourists, taking note that Cesar Milan is not qualified, not trained, and refuses to be trained, and bearing in mind that his programs specifically state not to try his techniques at home, which should set off alarm bells, and bearing in mind that just because they're on the telly doesn't mean they're even remotely expert.... Cesar Milan is to dog training what "Dr" Gillian McKeith is to human nutrition advice, for example.

http://www.dogwelfarecampaign.co.uk

Please, read this link. It explains why using pinching, slapping, or any form of physical coercion is simply not necessary and potentially harmful: pinching some pups to get their attention would devastate them, and just because you've tried it and got away with it doesn't mean you won't harm (psychologically) the next pup you do it to... I have trained hundreds of dogs without ever laying a finger on them (other than to pet them), including dogs up to professional working dog standard. I've also, in the process, had to undo a lot, a LOT of damage caused by owners using their hands to punish a pup, because they saw The Dog Botherer and his ilk doing it on the tv. There's a reason Cesar Milan has bite wounds all over his arms, I'm afraid.
    Please, if you want to be truly informed by people who genuinely know what they're talking about, read that link. And do take heed of the organisations involved in creating the Dog Welfare Campaign website, it's a seriously impressive list.

Thanks for the link. I'm not going to launch a defence of CM but I think the warnings he posts and the bite marks are mostly because he works with some very agressive and unpredictable dogs.
    There are other dog trainers that I have seen on TV and in person that use a simple well-timed touch to get the dogs attention when it is about to do something it shouldn't. Unfortunately there are some people who will see 'touch' as a euphemism for beat the hell out of it.

Any thanks for the tips which are appreciated.

gramar wrote: »

Thanks for the link. I'm not going to launch a defence of CM but I think the warnings he posts and the bite marks are mostly because he works with some very agressive and unpredictable dogs.

This is the very defence Cesar Milan uses too, but this defence falls flat on its face... I also treat some "very aggressive and unpredictable" dogs, as do all of my trained, qualified and positive colleagues here in Ireland, the UK, and worldwide... And guess what? I very rarely get bitten, and I've never been bitten so hard that I've been scarred.
    Cesar's (and his ilk) "light touch" is far from light: heeling dogs in the ribs, using nooses (diguised as Illusion collars) to cut off the blood supply to the brain, shock collars, and at best, pestering a dog with that ridiculous "tchk" sound whilst prodding it with your fingers (I've seen dogs become so frustrated with this that they've bitten the agitator, Milan included) are hardly "light touch", yet because owners see this "expert" do it in TV, it's ok, isn't it?
    It's never necessary to use any "touch" in the way you describe it as being used... So, if it's not necessary, it can't be misinterpreted. Human hands should never be associated with anything potentially bad, even only a little bit bad, by the dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement