Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing landline; GSM still adequate?

Options
  • 08-03-2013 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Am considering removing our phone landline and changing to use a GSM dialler instead for monitoring. The alarm is the only device that uses the landline now, with the house phone switching to UPC.

I've read some things about GSM being blocked easily. Any views on the vulnerability of GSM compared to a landline? I presume the line can be cut from the box outside too, which means neither is truly safe, right?

Thanks. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

eko wrote: »
    Am considering removing our phone landline and changing to use a GSM dialler instead for monitoring. The alarm is the only device that uses the landline now, with the house phone switching to UPC.

I've read some things about GSM being blocked easily. Any views on the vulnerability of GSM compared to a landline? I presume the line can be cut from the box outside too, which means neither is truly safe, right?

Thanks. :o

All forms of monitoring have there pros and cons.
    Commercial properties would have more of a vulnerability that domestic in regards GSM jammers but as they can be easily purchased on line it may become more of an issue in time.

A phone line can be cut but the box can also be protected with a tamper switch thus making the alarm send out the signal once it detects the tamper with the box.

A voice dialer can also be added to most systems to work with UPC.

The most secure is radio monitoring but as that harnesses a signal too it may become vulnerable in time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is it self monitoring or Central Station monitoring you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is it self monitoring or Central Station monitoring you have?

Right now it will be self-monitoring, but I may wish to change this to a monitoring station.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For self monitoring over you would need a generic voice dallier if you want to connect to a UPC line.
    Any digi for central station monitoring can connect to a UPC line.
    Again, be aware its dependent on mains power at your home & in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

What way is the UPC line coming into the house as if this line is cut it will not register a tamper

• Advertisement

Any physical line can be tampered with. And any GSM can be jammed. All of this is irrelevant unless the monitoring station can be informed. The options here are to tamper protect the line and use duel path or triple path monitoring.
    If you want to better that use radio.

Or IP

IP world be part of the triple path monitoring I mentioned.
    Radio would be more secure than IP IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm actually not sure how the UPC line comes in but seems to be a box at the side of the house with a panel door there.

Thats more secure. If you can tamper that with an alarm contact that's even better.

• Advertisement

Yep and also tamper the box for the power aswell .. Place something over the wires that will delay them for about 20 secs once the box is open to allow it to ring out .
    Just remember if the power goes so does the UPC

Advertisement