Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Question

Options
  • 08-03-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

Hey

Hoping someone here might be able to help me. I've a strange query that I cant see if it has been asked before.

I currently have a mortgage with ICS and the remaining loan amount is probably around what the house is worth. However, I have some cash (from savings and a small inheritance) and would love to move house. However, the amount that I currently have a mortgage for is not an amount I would be given now (due to only one of us working now). Is there any way that the bank would allow me to simply move the mortgage to a different house without having to apply for the same loan amount again? In their favour, they would have a pull on a house worth more so it might be in their interest?

I can service my current mortgage and have never missed a payment in over 7 years but according to their calcs I wouldn't be entittled to the same amount if I applied for a new mortgage now.

I'm not sure whether the above makes sense, and it seems a bit ridiculous but I thought I'd ask it here before making a fool out of myself talking to the bank!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

SK1979 wrote: »
    Hey

Hoping someone here might be able to help me. I've a strange query that I cant see if it has been asked before.

I currently have a mortgage with ICS and the remaining loan amount is probably around what the house is worth. However, I have some cash (from savings and a small inheritance) and would love to move house. However, the amount that I currently have a mortgage for is not an amount I would be given now (due to only one of us working now). Is there any way that the bank would allow me to simply move the mortgage to a different house without having to apply for the same loan amount again? In their favour, they would have a pull on a house worth more so it might be in their interest?

I can service my current mortgage and have never missed a payment in over 7 years but according to their calcs I wouldn't be entittled to the same amount if I applied for a new mortgage now.

I'm not sure whether the above makes sense, and it seems a bit ridiculous but I thought I'd ask it here before making a fool out of myself talking to the bank!

Thanks in advance!
    If your on a tracker they might let you but insist on a change to a variable rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

just do it wrote: »
    If your on a tracker they might let you but insist on a change to a variable rate.

Cheers. Ye I'm on a tracker alright. Might be a bargaining chip I guess. I'll do some more investigating during the week and contact the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

just do it wrote: »

No, a new mortgage would need to be got and since trackers arent a product for new mortgages anymore it would not happen. Getting a new mortgage you would need to go through entire process for approval. Criteria are more than likely tougher now than back when you got the mortgage.

Advertisement