Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

snubbleste wrote: »
    She did walk it.
    Still €92,672pa plus expenses and allowances is not bad for a 26 year old.

I work for a big multinational. equivalent earner in there would be someone an experienced senior manager or director level.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Fair play to her, but given the whip system, even if she turns out not to be another career politician in yet another political family dynasty, she will be less than useless in furthering any change in this messed up state.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

mikom wrote: »
    I heard she is donating that wage to a suicide prevention charity.
    Tru story bro...

Classy. Real classy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Classy. Real classy.

No harm in looking after what got you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Madam_X wrote: »
    I was wondering more whether he used his clout to get her a place on the masters course rather than it being down to her undergrad degree and passing the assessment on her own merits.
    doubt it

to be honest that was probably just spoofing nonsense

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Family: Could be irrelevant if she had shown any interest in forging her own niche in politics. However the only position she has held was as assistant to her late father - are you trying to tell me that in the whole country, nay even Meath, that there wasn't a better suited candidate for a Minister's assistant than his own daughter? Or is loyalty the most important trait here? Which I imagine is good for FG, not so good for the rest of us.
    smeedyova wrote: »
    I think a point that should be considered here is not that she ran at all but that people actually voted for her. The question I'm asking myself is why on earth Irish people vote for the children of politicians? Do they think that they have to? I don't think it's right to blame her for trying, but to question the reasoning power of those who gave her a vote...

The only reason she was elected was the sympathy vote. Another waste of democracy in this backward indoctrinated country.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The only reason she was elected was the sympathy vote. Another waste of democracy in this backward indoctrinated country.

Are you saying that all the 11,000 plus who voted for her did so out of sympathy? How do you know that?

What form of indoctrination are you referring to? And who is doing it to who?

I'm pretty certain that's the case. I know the only reason she got the nomination was because of her father.

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain that's the case. I know the only reason she got the nomination was because of her father.

How certain is pretty certain? And how do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I heard numerous vox-pops in the run up to the election and many people questioned said that they may vote for her because of who her father was and because of the tragic circumstances of his death.

You seriously believe that wasn't the overriding factor in her victory?

• Advertisement

I heard numerous vox-pops in the run up to the election and many people questioned said that they may vote for her because of who her father was and because of the tragic circumstances of his death.

Yes, but then saying that that is the only reason she was elected needs proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

If it was 10 or 20 times as much like plenty in private industry are getting do you think it would attract better candidates who could run the country properly?

The most anyone in Irish government should be on is 60K AFTER TAX.
    I would award them a pension of the same amount as soon as they reached retirement age of 65.After a term in government is served they can return to work elsewhere.Its public service after all.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    The most anyone in Irish government should be on is 60K AFTER TAX.
    I would award them a pension of the same amount as soon as they reached retirement age of 65.After a term in government is served they can return to work elsewhere.Its public service after all.

All of them on 60K or just the Taoiseach? And how much for backbenchers and opposition TD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

All of them on 60K or just the Taoiseach? And how much for backbenchers and opposition TD's?

No one who is paid out of the taxpayers purse should get a pension greater than 70/80 grand. Anything more than that is ridiculous money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The result in Meath East tied in closely with those picked up in the last four opinion polls. To suggest that 40% of the electorate who turned out to vote did so out of sympathy is an extremely naive assumption to make.

Despite this government coming to power in unprecedented economic circumstances and having to make many very difficult and unpopular decisions, the people have rejected the palaver and hyperbole of the loony left. Over 70% of those who voted in Meath East cast their vote for moderate centre-right parties. This isn't a statistical anomaly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Confirms what I've been hearing up and down the country. People have rejected the lunatic non-solutions of SF and the other assorted spoofer and have given a ringing endorsementtio the centre right.

The people of Meath East have collectively stood up and said 'We know what has to be done, we don't like it, but keep it up.'

Well done to Helen, and I hope she hasa long and fruitful career in public office.

Did I say I know? I Didn't. Knowing is quite different. So stop trying to put words in my mouth.

But you can be 100% certain that if she didn't have the father she did, she would have been a completely unknown and no-one would have voted for her.

Additionally, if her father had just retired or had been forced from office, she never would have gained enough votes. She had just under 2000 votes more than the second highest. I'm willing to bet that at least 2000 were due to sympathy.

I'm also willing to bet that 2000 were from people who always vote Fianna Gael.

Well done to Helen, and I hope she hasa long and fruitful career in public office.

I hope she gets kicked out in the next election.

It's really quite depressing. This shows that people would vote for an inanimate carbon rod if it was under a mainstream party and had a family name they recognised.

I hope she gets kicked out in the next election.

It's really quite depressing. This shows that people would vote for an inanimate carbon rod if it was under a mainstream party and had a family name they recognised.

Ya, that democracy thing is a right pain in the hole. If only the plain people of Ireland were as enlightened as you and your ilk, then everything would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yes, but then saying that that is the only reason she was elected needs proof.

What other reason do you believe she was elected for?

Her wealth of experience? All the hard work she has put in as a local councillor? The unique vision she brings to the party? Her heartfelt promise to bring and end to cronyism in politics?

Come on - her lineage was the major contributory factor to her victory and pretending otherwise is silly.

• Advertisement

Her wealth of experience? All the hard work she has put in as a local councillor? The unique vision she brings to the party? Her heartfelt promise to bring and end to cronyism in politics?

Come on - her lineage was the major contributory factor to her victory and pretending otherwise is silly.

Would she have been elected if she was a member of the Labour Party? Or the Shinners?

I gave a list previously of possible reasons she got votes. These were what were suggested by political commentators I heard on the radio. I'm not pretending, I actually have no idea myself, not knowing anyone who voted or discussed it with any of them.

Family name, sympathy, GAA, party loyalty, only female candidate, agricultural background, support for current FG policy, her age.

I think every one of the 11,000 plus who voted for her would have to have their reason(s) collated and analysed to arrive at a conclusion that a particular factor was predominant. I am not in possession of any such analysis no more than yourself.

Sergeant wrote: »
    Would she have been elected if she was a member of the Labour Party? Or the Shinners?

I honestly don't know. What I do know, is that electing someone because of their name is not good enough.

We need politicians who are looking out for us, not themselves. We need real change in this country, not more of the same.

Saying that, I'm not sure I could name any politicians in any of the three major political parties who have the courage, vision and integrity to enact the kind of change we need so badly.
    I wish Miss McEntee the best of luck in her new role, but she's not the kind of politician we need in the Dail right now and I doubt she'll be anything other than another nodding dog for the FG party.

I honestly don't know. What I do know, is that electing someone because of their name is not good enough.

We need politicians who are looking out for us, not themselves. We need real change in this country, not more of the same.

Saying that, I'm not sure I could name any politicians in any of the three major political parties who have the courage, vision and integrity to enact the kind of change we need so badly.
    I wish Miss McEntee the best of luck in her new role, but she's not the kind of politician we need in the Dail right now and I doubt she'll be anything other than another nodding dog for the FG party.

Could you outline some of this change we kept getting told we need? How we cut a €12 billion deficit between what we take in, and what we pay out to keep the country running.

I'm hearing lots about this change, but rarely anything substantive regarding how we pay for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Confirms what I've been hearing up and down the country.

You were no more "up and down the country" than the cat nextdoor.

Don't be talkin shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lapin wrote: »
    You were no more "up and down the country" than the cat nextdoor.

Don't be talkin shíte.

Substitute basement for the word country and I think you are closer to the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mikom wrote: »
    Substitute basement for the word country and I think you are closer to the truth.

Jesus Mikom, bit of a personal jab there, isn't it?

Ya, that democracy thing is a right pain in the hole. If only the plain people of Ireland were as enlightened as you and your ilk, then everything would be perfect.

Because I espoused fascism. Yeah, that's it. If I disagree or think that people did something stupid I must be a fascist and hate democracy. When this this place turn into the US where you have to support the winner of an election because they won?

1/5 of the electorate voted for her I think they're idiots. The same way I think people who voted for Sarah Palin because they like her were idiots.

But I'm sure you wish her a long reign career in politics.

Because I espoused fascism. Yeah, that's it. If I disagree or think that people did something stupid I must be a fascist and hate democracy. When this this place turn into the US where you have to support the winner of an election because they won?

1/5 of the electorate voted for her I think they're idiots. The same way I think people who voted for Sarah Palin were idiots.

But I'm sure you wish her a long reign career in politics.

You're perfectly entitled to disagree.

Have you ever considered putting yourself before the electorate? Yesterday, the results were counted, and it showed that 70% of those who voted went for moderate parties of the centre-right. There was a wide range of alternatives on offer. None of these were taken up by the electorate. Dem be da facts.

• Advertisement

Could you outline some of this change we kept getting told we need? How we cut a €12 billion deficit between what we take in, and what we pay out to keep the country running.

I'm hearing lots about this change, but rarely anything substantive regarding how we pay for it.

I'm not a politician or an economist, nor do I pretend to be. We elect people supposedly more experienced and in a better position than us to make those changes.

Although, it's worth looking at how Iceland have made an amazing recovery from their crippling recession. They have taken almost the polar opposite tack than we and most other European countries have taken and it's working incredibly well for them. They took an unorthodox approach and it paid off.

Like I said before, Miss McEntee may have run with good personal intentions, but we have to stop being so nepotistic and short-sighted when it comes to electing the people we are putting in charge of running this country.
    Sometimes I think people are so afraid of anything different, they just adopt the 'better the devil you know' criteria when checking their ballot papers without ever thinking about the caliber of politician they are putting in charge of their affairs for the next 5 years. That really needs to change.

Advertisement