Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Quite the opposite I would have thought. Are people genuinely expecting someone to be elected one day, and immediately get cracking into work on an Easter weekend. Its ridiculous. She's entitled to time off, just like anyone else. It strikes me as trolling and anti-govt for the sake of it bias tbh.

I got time off in my job when I had worked enough hours to take it.

As for getting cracking, frankly yes. Why would people not expect that?
    Some quiet family downtime is to be expected - but tweeting about "Chilling Out" is frankly very naive. Just shows she has some growing up to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

MadsL wrote: »
    I got time off in my job when I had worked enough hours to take it.

As for getting cracking, frankly yes. Why would people not expect that?
    Some quiet family downtime is to be expected - but tweeting about "Chilling Out" is frankly very naive. Just shows she has some growing up to do.

The dail hasn't even sat since she was elected. She is more than entitled to take a couple of days after an election campaign.

As I have already said, it is very obvious that you don't have the first clue about what goes into a campaign.

And so what if she tweeted it, people tweet stuff like that all the time.

You're only having a go at her for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Quite the opposite I would have thought. Are people genuinely expecting someone to be elected one day, and immediately get cracking into work on an Easter weekend. Its ridiculous. She's entitled to time off, just like anyone else. It strikes me as trolling and anti-govt for the sake of it bias tbh..

Tolling to be anti government in a thread about a FG td ? Tolling is what you're doing by turning everything into an opportunity to goad the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Reading the foregoing drivel, I'm happy that I don't engage in political discussion on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Satts wrote: »
    No harm at all to have some more youth and women in the Dáil.

Yes but do we need more nepotistic gombeenism in the Dail ?

• Advertisement

Yes but do we need more nepotistic gombeenism in the Dail ?

It isn't nepotism when the public elects the person to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Henlars67 wrote: »
    It isn't nepotism when the public elects the person to the job.
    But her previous job certainly was. But i take your point, people get the government they deserve.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    The dail hasn't even sat since she was elected. She is more than entitled to take a couple of days after an election campaign.
    Really. I suspect if you offered me €92k and a tidy pension, I, like most people, would be saying "I can start now"
    As I have already said, it is very obvious that you don't have the first clue about what goes into a campaign.
    Enlighten me, but let me tell you that one grandfather was a coal miner and the other a steelworker. I'm sure it is terrible graft, do many die on the campaign trail?
    And so what if she tweeted it, people tweet stuff like that all the time.
    Most people are not "representives" of the people.
    You're only having a go at her for the sake of it.

How long is the honeymoon period I am supposed to give her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Tweeting about chilling out on a bank holiday weekend. What utter depravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Seriously? She's taking a day off after a long campaign, during which she was reminded of the untimely and tragic death of her father every day?

How dare she :mad:

Like every other TD is slaving away in their office today :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tweeting about chilling out on a bank holiday weekend. What utter depravity.

Her party chairman is meeting with constituents today. The banks may be on holiday, but I certainly would not expect politicians to be "chillaxing".
    Public service has run in the McEntee family for generations, through involvement in the GAA, the IFA, local community groups and politics. I am young, energetic and committed. I am ready to be your TD so, like my Dad, I can work hard on the issues the people of Meath East care about most.

I worked with Dad here in Meath East and in the Department of Agriculture, where he became Minister of State. Watching him in action, I learned that politics should be about fighting for your constituents and changing what’s wrong. My father worked tirelessly on every issue, whether it was pyrite, pylons, roads or job creation. Thanks to working with him, I have a deep understanding of what matters to the people of Meath East, and I will fight on your behalf if I am elected as your TD.

http://www.finegael.ie/our-people/candidates/helen-mcentee/

Whatever, Helen, take a chill pill. ;)

bette wrote: »
    Reading the foregoing drivel, I'm happy that I don't engage in political discussion on boards.ie.

As bad as it is at least its all relevant. Unlike your little nugget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Public service has run in the McEntee family for generations, through involvement in the GAA, the IFA, local community groups and politics. I am young, energetic and committed. I am ready to be your TD so, like my Dad, I can work hard on the issues the people of Meath East care about most.

I worked with Dad here in Meath East and in the Department of Agriculture, where he became Minister of State. Watching him in action, I learned that politics should be about fighting for your constituents and changing what’s wrong. My father worked tirelessly on every issue, whether it was pyrite, pylons, roads or job creation. Thanks to working with him, I have a deep understanding of what matters to the people of Meath East, and I will fight on your behalf if I am elected as your TD.

Added an update to the base of this chest puffing piece.......

Cowabunga Dude and hang ten.

LizT wrote: »
    Seriously? She's taking a day off after a long campaign, during which she was reminded of the untimely and tragic death of her father every day?

How dare she :mad:

Like every other TD is slaving away in their office today :rolleyes:

Liz, many TD are working today. For example.

https://twitter.com/AodhanORiordain - looking into watermain issues and supply problems; he's not even a councillor anymore.

https://twitter.com/AodhanORiordain - looking into watermain issues and supply problems; he's not even a councillor anymore.

He's tweeting about a trip with his in laws. Doesn't sound like work to me....

Yeah, sounds like he's flat out on his feet looking into watermain issues... during a trip to Croke Park. :confused:

He's tweeting about a trip with his in laws. Doesn't sound like work to me....

He also tweeted "Please contact me asap if you're continuing to have #water problems." - so working whilst entertaining in-laws. See how that works.

TDs should never be "off duty".

Yeah, sounds like he's flat out on his feet looking into watermain issues... during a trip to Croke Park. :confused:

I suspect his mobile phone is on him. Not too many pockets in this wetsuit.

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/318000276206407680/photo/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

He also tweeted "Please contact me asap if you're continuing to have #water problems."

That'll be handy for McEntee if she is having trouble catching the big waves.

So she'll be out surfing all day, with no access to her mobile phone? I seriously doubt it.

• Advertisement

So she'll be out surfing all day, with no access to her mobile phone? I seriously doubt it.

Give her a call -see if she answers :D

http://www.finegael.ie/our-people/candidates/helen-mcentee/

Might be better to send up a flare ;)

Surfing on a Saturday, what an absolute monster. She's supposed to be holed up in her grimy office, surrounded by beeping fax machines and frantically typing figures into her print-out calculator. :mad:

There are so many reasons why one could have a go at any government TD.

This most certainly isn't one.

It is absolutely pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This is the most pathetic attempt at slating a TD I've ever read!

She's been a TD for two days. Forgive me if I am sceptical of someone who claims to want to "work as hard as her father" but then her first tweet as a TD after the obligatory congrats and thanks is about her chilling out.

She has a MASTERS in media communication. Masterfully just painted herself as a slacker surfer dudess.

Doesn't bode well.

Surfing on a Saturday, what an absolute monster. She's supposed to be holed up in her grimy office, surrounded by beeping fax machines and frantically typing figures into her print-out calculator. :mad:

She's just been elected to the dail. I'm sure there are many thing she could be doing or preparing to do. She chose to go surfing, so its clear to see how seriously she's taking her new job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Madam_X wrote: »
    She should be working 15 hours a day 365 days a year. Well ok, a half day Christmas day.

Who do you think she is.

A barrister or QC on a tribunal?

Senior Counsel for the Moriarty Tribunal were paid a combination of brief fees (effectively lump sums payments) and daily rates. they were paid a fixed daily rate; payable whether the Tribunal was actually sitting or not

it was a

true “daily” rate and one that was not linked in any way to actual public sittings or appearances.

The daily rate paid was for many years €2,500 per day for Jerry Healy SC and John Coughlan SC- this was not for every day that the Tribunal sat; it was for every day that they turned up to work.

Tribunal Counsel were not required to actually attend at the Tribunal’s Offices at Dublin Castle in order to claim an actual “day”.

lack of proper oversight or accountability in relation to fees claimed by the Moriarty Tribunal’s legal team:

“6.52 A record of the attendance of Tribunal legal team members is kept by the Tribunal. It does not take account of arrival and deparature times, work performed by the legal team outside of the office or at weekends

Jerry Healy SC, John Coughlan SC and Jacqui O’Brien SC also negotiated a “concluding brief fee” of €30,000- a form of golden handshake payable when the Tribunal wrapped up its activities.

She's just been elected to the dail. I'm sure there are many thing she could be doing or preparing to do. She chose to go surfing, so its clear to see how seriously she's taking her new job.

She's hardly going to be surfing all day in fairness.

Madam_X wrote: »
    She may be a public representative now but she also has a personal life - just how is a tweet and some chill-out time at EASTER after an extremely busy campaign indicative of someone who warrants judging as a slacker? :confused:

Anyone on €92,000 gets a bit of down time - they wouldn't be much good if they never got a break.

Blatant scraping the bottom of the barrel for something to find fault with...

Most people get a break after they have done some work. ;)

• Advertisement

She's been a TD for two days. Forgive me if I am sceptical of someone who claims to want to "work as hard as her father" but then her first tweet as a TD after the obligatory congrats and thanks is about her chilling out.

She has a MASTERS in media communication. Masterfully just painted herself as a slacker surfer dudess.

Doesn't bode well.

She could've gone out for an hour or two for all we know. You'd swear it's all she's been doing.

Advertisement