Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

MadsL wrote: »
    What is her masters in again? Ah yes, communication.

There was nothing wrong with that tweet, nothing whatsoever.

You really need to let it go, there's so many things that you could be giving out about, things that matter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

She hasn't posted anything new on Twitter since her outrageous communication about chilling out. After the vile campaign of abuse to which her father was subjected on the internet and reading the reaction to the tweet from some people here I'd say she should stay well away from social media.

Anyone here said anything that offensive? I mean I didn't see anyone call her a whore or a waste of human cells or a nazi or anything. People have said she has no experience and that the first tweet she posted after winning an election maybe should have been something work related rather that "Whheeee I'm taking a day off"

It's really a low shot comparing that to internet bullying. Maybe you probably think I'm bullying you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Are people moaning that the new TD isn't in the office?

Are you for real?

No, but I think our newly elected TD (nationally, I'm not in her constituency) should have a bit more cop on that bragging about chillaxing and surfing 2 days into her new job - which IMO she's only gotten because of the sympathy vote and name recognition.. certainly not on experience, track record or apparent cop on.

If she's choosing to spend her weekend dossing that's certainly her business (me I'd probably be preparing for my first day of work especially given what the job supposedly involves and responsibility attached to it), but she should know enough not to be plastering it all over the Internet - especially with her Masters in Communication!

But then this IS a 26 year old with no real world experience and who's just been handed a massive salary with no targets to adhere to. No wonder she thinks it's acceptable to brag about taking it easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    No, but I think our newly elected TD (nationally, I'm not in her constituency) should have a bit more cop on that bragging about chillaxing and surfing 2 days into her new job - which IMO she's only gotten because of the sympathy vote and name recognition.. certainly not on experience, track record or apparent cop on.

If she's choosing to spend her weekend dossing that's certainly her business (me I'd probably be preparing for my first day of work especially given what the job supposedly involves and responsibility attached to it), but she should know enough not to be plastering it all over the Internet - especially with her Masters in Communication!

But then this IS a 26 year old with no real world experience and who's just been handed a massive salary with no targets to adhere to. No wonder she thinks it's acceptable to brag about taking it easy!

Ah here, it's a bank holiday weekend. She is still a person with a life. She also didn't set the wage so banding that around really is beside the point.

If it were me I would not passing apologies on what I do in my spare time esp if it were something normal.

By the by, how do you know how much life experience she has? Do you know her?

It's a Saturday of a bank holiday weekend. Most people will be doing things not related to work.

Anyone who has a problem with that is a moron, plain and simple.

I've rarely seen such an issue made out of a complete non-issue.

• Advertisement

Ah here, it's a bank holiday weekend. She is still a person with a life. She also didn't set the wage so banding that around really is beside the point.

If it were me I would not passing apologies on what I do in my spare time esp if it were something normal.

By the by, how do you know how much life experience she has? Do you know her?

Clearly she doesn't have enough to realise that when you've just been handed a job and massive salary because of who your father was (even her own biography posted above goes on and on about him rather than her own ability) in a country where many would be lucky to make even half that salary (if you still have a job at all that is) and a great many are working all day regardless of what it says on the calendar, that you should at least say nothing rather than boasting about it on the Internet.

Her right to a "normal" life and tweets like this ended the day she decided to run.. and as others have posted, there ARE other TDs who are also actually working too.

EDIT: For what it's worth my team are working today and tomorrow till well into the night (quarter end period), and while I'm off myself I'm still keeping an eye on things just in case - because that's part of the job and I take it seriously. If she wanted a regular 9-5 she shouldn't have put herself forward.

Clearly she doesn't have enough to realise that when you've just been handed a job and massive salary because of who your father was (even her own biography posted above goes on and on about how him) in a country where many would be lucky to make even half that salary (if you still have a job at all that is) and a great many are working all day regardless of what it says on the calendar, that you should at least say nothing rather than boasting about it on the Internet.

Her right to a "normal" life and tweets like this ended the day she decided to run.. and as others have posted, there ARE other TDs who are also actually working too.

She wasn't handed the job. She was voted in by the people of her constituency.

A Daughter speaking about her Father, not seeing a problem there if I am honest and surprised you are.

Again she was vote in as part of a democratic process. She tweets it's time to chill out after a tense few weeks, Not seeing a problem there either.

I am actually finding it hard to see how you and others can be so offended by this.

She wasn't handed the job. She was voted in by the people of her constituency.

A Daughter speaking about her Father, not seeing a problem there if I am honest and surprised you are.

Again she was vote in as part of a democratic process. She tweets it's time to chill out after a tense few weeks, Not seeing a problem there either.

I am actually finding it hard to see how you and others can be so offended by this.

You're still not getting the point...

Regardless of whether she should or shouldn't be working today, she's an elected official being paid an amount of money that most in this country could only dream of (without any track record I might add besides working in her dad's office), and she should have the cop on to at least not be plastering her chillaxing all over the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I can't see how anyone could begrudge the woman a few hours off on a bank holiday Saturday the weekend after winning a parliamentary election. I imagine it's been a bit of a hectic three months for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Regardless of whether she should or shouldn't be working today, she's an elected official being paid an amount of money that most in this country could only dream of (without any track record I might add besides working in her dad's office), and she should have the cop on to at least not be plastering her chillaxing all over the Internet.

So what - she can have a break, as long as she doesn't tell people about it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

She is young and has a lot to learn but give her a chance, she has only just got elected and is on a high. The government will be relying on her to get people her age interested in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Life in this country would be so much better if we didn't have so many 'curtain twitchers' who insist on commenting and interfering with how people live their private lives.

I can't see how anyone could begrudge the woman a few hours off on a bank holiday Saturday the weekend after winning a parliamentary election. I imagine it's been a bit of a hectic three months for her.

OK let me put it in another context for you...

Remember the days of CJH buying himself very expensive suits and a lavish lifestyle while much of the country was on the breadline?

It's the same principle - by all means take your day off Helen, but you should have the cop on (certainly with a Masters in Communication) to realise that when you've just been given a massive salary with no track record to vouch for it, it's probably best to just keep quiet while you're on the doss.. (especially when many of the people you supposedly represent are working today to keep a roof over their heads - if they have a job at all)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

HondaSami wrote: »
    She is young and has a lot to learn but give her a chance

Yeah, shur we are giving her 92k a year, so what's a chance on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

LizT wrote: »
    So what - she can have a break, as long as she doesn't tell people about it? :confused:

She's now a public representative. The day Enda became Taoiseach was the day he stopped using Twitter. Im not saying thats the way every politician should handle it, but its hardly surprising. Like it or not, they have to consider everything they do and say when it comes to the public domain. Hence spin doctors etc....

On a Bank Holiday Saturday?

She's more than entitled to do whatever she pleases.

I get the point alright, a lot of jealousy and bitterness that a 26 year old is making a lot more then themselves. Begrudgery it's called. You and others try to justify it by saying or hinting she got in on her Dads vote.

Democratic process.

And your point about your working hours is completely irrelevant here. No doubt this TD will put in long hours, but you will never hear about it.

mikom wrote: »
    Yeah, shur we are giving her 92k a year, so what's a chance on top of that.

She has not even started the job yet, lets see how she gets on before we write her off.
    I'm ignoring the salary thing, it annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

P_1 wrote: »
    Life in this country would be so much better if we didn't have so many 'curtain twitchers' who insist on commenting and interfering with how people live their private lives.

By that you mean people speaking on a discussion forum about a newly elected member of the dail putting her private life into the public domain ?

Agricola wrote: »
    She's now a public representative. The day Enda became Taoiseach was the day he stopped using Twitter. Im not saying thats the way every politician should handle it, but its hardly surprising. Like it or not, they have to consider everything they do and say when it comes to the public domain. Hence spin doctors etc....

Id imagine she will use twitter in the same ways she always did, it's good PR for the government.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »

There's loads of TDs that use twitter, it's a great tool that can be brilliant for communicating with their constituents. Obviously it can and has been abused.

I genuinely don't understand why people are so offended that she tweeted about taking a break after what was probably the most stressful few months of her life.

I get the point alright, a lot of jealousy and bitterness that a 26 year old is making a lot more then themselves. Begrudgery it's called. You and others try to justify it by saying or hinting she got in on her Dads vote.

Democratic process.

And your point about your working hours is completely irrelevant here. No doubt this TD will put in long hours, but you will never hear about it.

Actually we do when we're told that they're off in constituent offices toiling away as explanation for all the empty seats in the Dail

I have no problem with her (or anyone else) earning 100k IF they have earned it based on performance and merit - neither of which this woman has to show thus far. Maybe in a few years she will.

If you really think that the puff piece biography linked to above doesn't contain all those references to her dad solely to generate name recognition and thus sympathy then you might want to have another read.. Where's the bit about her ability, track record etc that would warrant her being elected?

By that you mean people speaking on a discussion forum about a newly elected member of the dail putting her private life into the public domain ?

Well yes tbh. A few examples:

Newly elected TD, hasn't even started the new job decides to have a surf on a Saturday presumably paid for from her own money and puts a photo up on twitter, mind your bloody business.

Joe bloggs, aced a job interview on the Thursday, hasn't even started the new job decides to have a surf on a Saturday presumably paid for from his own money and puts a photo up on twitter, mind your bloody business.

Said TD goes for a surf when she's meant to be working and posts up a photo on twitter, then its time to comment.

Joe goes for a surf when he's meant to be working and posts up a photo on twitter, then its time to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ah here, it's a bank holiday weekend. She is still a person with a life.
    So what? Her constituents dont need help on bank holidays ?I have to work all weekend, paying tax so her and her ilk can enjoy their obscenely unwarranted salaries, and i certainly dont get 92k of tax payers money either. I will repeat my earlier post - everyone deserves downtime but probably not 2 days into a highly paid public position. And tweeting about it in that manner was naive.
    Is this a massive deal? No. Is it a bad start? Yes? In her election manifesto, when not talking about her lamented father,she finds time to mention how focused and hard working she is- not before a bit of chillaxing though . Peace out dudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Congratulations to Miss McEtee on being elected to Dáil Éireann.
    Just for once , can we wish this young lady some respect and wish her well in her new role.?
    Irrespective of Political background I am sure she will be in touch with many of the issues which concern her twenty something friends and wider population.
    Is it not a good thing to have a young person in the Dail assisting in reducing the average age of our TD's?
    Perhaps we need some more young people to enter this position of high office who are in tune with the daily pressures faced by our young people.
    Young people are our future
    Best wishes to Miss Mcetee and all Ireland's twenty-somethings!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Democratic process.

Glad to see that you're blanketing everyone who disagrees with you by calling them mean nasty people. Shows the spirit of debate is alive an well. Have you considered a career in politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

P_1 wrote: »
    Well yes tbh. A few examples:

Newly elected TD, hasn't even started the new job decides to have a surf on a Saturday presumably paid for from her own money and puts a photo up on twitter, mind your bloody business.

This would be on the twitter account that contains the label "minister of state" in the background?
    Best wishes to Miss Mcetee and all Ireland's twenty-somethings!

Whichever country they may be in.

mikom wrote: »
    This would be on the twitter account that contains the label "minister of state" in the background?

Well I would have thought that most people would have had the intelligence to differentiate between what somebody does in a personal or a professional capacity but maybe I'm overestimating the intelligence of the general population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

LizT wrote: »
    There's loads of TDs that use twitter, it's a great tool that can be brilliant for communicating with their constituents. Obviously it can and has been abused.

I genuinely don't understand why people are so offended that she tweeted about taking a break after what was probably the most stressful few months of her life.

Its been explained plenty why people have an issue with it. That stressful few months was a campaign to be elected to Dail Eireann with promises of hard work and getting stuff done. She's elected, now where the hard work ?

Now perhaps its not that big a deal in itself to have some downtime on the weekend. But we've got the short end of the stick in regards politicians and you know that, as does everyone else in here. Her election wasnt without a bit of controversy either as she was elected to her fathers seat after working as his assistant for a number of years. She is where she is through nepotism.

So when she's hitting the surf and lets the entire country know via twitter after getting her ticket for a free ride I dont think it beyond reason that some people are gonna take issue with it.

• Advertisement

Its been explained plenty why people have an issue with it. That stressful few months was a campaign to be elected to Dail Eireann with promises of hard work and getting stuff done. She's elected, now where the hard work ?

Now perhaps its not that big a deal in itself to have some downtime on the weekend. But we've got the short end of the stick in regards politicians and you know that, as does everyone else in here. Her election wasnt without a bit of controversy either as she was elected to her fathers seat after working as his assistant for a number of years. She is where she is through nepotism.

So when she's hitting the surf and lets the entire country know via twitter after getting her ticket for a free ride I dont think it beyond reason that some people are gonna take issue with it.

She's not even in office a week yet. Give her a bloody chance!

Advertisement