Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

P_1 wrote: »
    Well yes tbh. A few examples:

Newly elected TD, hasn't even started the new job decides to have a surf on a Saturday presumably paid for from her own money and puts a photo up on twitter, mind your bloody business.

Joe bloggs, aced a job interview on the Thursday, hasn't even started the new job decides to have a surf on a Saturday presumably paid for from his own money and puts a photo up on twitter, mind your bloody business.

Said TD goes for a surf when she's meant to be working and posts up a photo on twitter, then its time to comment.

Joe goes for a surf when he's meant to be working and posts up a photo on twitter, then its time to comment.

She's taken a position in the public eye by being elected to Dail Eireann. She put herself there and she made the details of her life public information herself.

So how are people nosey curtain twitchers by commenting on it on a discussion forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Its been explained plenty why people have an issue with it. That stressful few months was a campaign to be elected to Dail Eireann with promises of hard work and getting stuff done. She's elected, now where the hard work ?

Now perhaps its not that big a deal in itself to have some downtime on the weekend. But we've got the short end of the stick in regards politicians and you know that, as does everyone else in here. Her election wasnt without a bit of controversy either as she was elected to her fathers seat after working as his assistant for a number of years. She is where she is through nepotism.

So when she's hitting the surf and lets the entire country know via twitter after getting her ticket for a free ride I dont think it beyond reason that some people are gonna take issue with it.

I do. She's more than entitled to take a couple of hours out to relax.

I don't think anybody in any job works for 2 or 3 days without taking some sort of break.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Congratulations to Miss McEtee on being elected to Dáil Éireann.
    Just for once , can we wish this young lady some respect and wish her well in her new role.?
    Irrespective of Political background I am sure she will be in touch with many of the issues which concern her twenty something friends and wider population.
    Is it not a good thing to have a young person in the Dail assisting in reducing the average age of our TD's?
    Perhaps we need some more young people to enter this position of high office who are in tune with the daily pressures faced by our young people.
    Young people are our future
    Best wishes to Miss Mcetee and all Ireland's twenty-somethings!

See here's the thing...

As far as I recall reading (as I said I'm not in her constituency myself), the family are publicans and she's done nothing so far but go to college and work in her late father's office.

That doesn't sound like the "issues" your average college grad faces these days.. she obviously doesn't have to worry about unemployment, emigration, living at home because she can't afford her own place etc

If she had started in Dad's office and worked her way up over the next few years, rather than "inheriting" the seat because of the sympathy vote - which again is why it was mentioned at every turn that she's Shane McEntee's daughter - or better yet had a proven track record in private enterprise, then I don't think anyone would have a problem with this.

Just because this person is young and female doesn't automatically make her the natural choice to be "in touch" with the issues her peers (or the rest of her constituents) face, nor the right choice to be elected to her national parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

She's taken a position in the public eye by being elected to Dail Eireann. She put herself there and she made the details of her life public information herself.

So how are people nosey curtain twitchers by commenting on it on a discussion forum ?

Does it cause you any harm what she chooses to do in her own time?
    Does it cause you any harm what I choose to do in my own time?
    Does it cause me any harm what you choose to do in your own time?

I define a nosey curtain twitcher as somebody who insists on commenting on what people choose to do in their own time when that activity causes said curtain twitcher no harm.

Does it cause you any harm what she chooses to do in her own time?
    Does it cause you any harm what people on here talk about ?
    Does it cause you any harm what I choose to do in my own time?
    Does it cause me any harm what you choose to do in your own time?
    I define a nosey curtain twitcher as somebody who insists on commenting on what people choose to do in their own time when that activity causes said curtain twitcher no harm.

Then what are you ? In here offended about what I choose to talk about ?

• Advertisement

Then what are you ? In here offended about what I choose to talk about ?

Last time I checked, causing offense or being offended isn't a crime. I've long given up caring what other people think of me but I do enjoy pointing out when people are talking through their rectums.

Last time I checked, causing offense or being offended isn't a crime. I've long given up caring what other people think of me but I do enjoy pointing out when people are talking through their rectums.

Basically you're a hypocrite then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Just because this person is young and female doesn't automatically make her the natural choice to be "in touch" with the issues her peers (or the rest of her constituents) face, nor the right choice to be elected to her national parliament.

Agree completely and said as much in a post the other day. Im no Fianna Fail fan, but it must be gutting for Thomas Byrne to come runner up to a complete political novice like this. At least the guy has some sort of coherent opinion on specific issues and has a track record in the senate.
    This kind of nepotism sickens me tbh, and only belongs in the dark ages with monarchies. But as someone said, its the (deeply flawed, imo) democratic process, so what can you do.

Basically you're a hypocrite then.

Like I said there's no point giving a schit about what other people think of you as there's only really one person who you're answerable to at the end of the day.

I don't give a schit of what you think of me and similarly I trust that you don't give a schit of what I think of you.

Reputations are too overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Does this include family reputations?

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Does this include family reputations?

Yes it does. What any relative of yours has done has no bearing on yourself.

Like I said there's no point giving a schit about what other people think of you as there's only really one person who you're answerable to at the end of the day.

I don't give a schit of what you think of me and similarly I trust that you don't give a schit of what I think of you.

This isnt about how much of a shít we give about each other. Its about you commenting on what I'm doing with my time to state the fact you despise people commenting on what others do with their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agricola wrote: »
    Agree completely and said as much in a post the other day. Im no Fianna Fail fan, but it must be gutting for Thomas Byrne to come runner up to a complete political novice like this. At least the guy has some sort of coherent opinion on specific issues and has a track record in the senate.
    This kind of nepotism sickens me tbh, and only belongs in the dark ages with monarchies. But as someone said, its the (deeply flawed, imo) democratic process, so what can you do.

Well see that last bit is where I disagree :)

We as an electorate need to start accepting responsibility for our own role in the process and taking it seriously... that means turning up in the first place to vote and making our choices based on more than who fixed the road, got our planning application through, who our parents voted for, who the candidate is related to....

We complain about the system and how it never changes.. and then we flip back and forth between FG and FF again! (I fully expect FF to be back in government next time incidentally). I was actually a little heartened to see SF and DDI get a respectable vote considering - at least they offer something different to the "big two".

I'm not having a go at you personally AC, but we need to realise that we CAN (and should/NEED to) do something!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Agricola wrote: »

His previous endorsement by Bertie Ahern probably worked against Byrne.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/deleted-video-shows-bertie-ahern-urging-thomas-byrne-support-29131820.html

This isnt about how much of a shít we give about each other. Its about you commenting on what I'm doing with my time to state the fact you despise people commenting on what others do with their time.

To be fair, you're saying that I'm talking bollox and I'm saying that you're talking bollox.

Each of us commenting on what the other does in their free time can only attempt to cause offense to the other one. One of us might cause the other offense and the other might just shrug it off at the end of the day.

To be fair, you're saying that I'm talking bollox and I'm saying that you're talking bollox.

Each of us commenting on what the other does in their free time can only attempt to cause offense to the other one. One of us might cause the other offense and the other might just shrug it off at the end of the day.

No I'm discussing a tweet from a public figure. You're taking issue with that when you really havent a leg to stand on in taking that position as you can only be a hypocrite to make the point.

This is going nowhere anyway. But as long as this thread is open I am entitled to discuss the topic of this thread. If you dont like it go elsewhere.

No I'm discussing a tweet from a public figure. You're taking issue with that when you really havent a leg to stand on in taking that position as you can only be a hypocrite to make the point.

Which was made during her own time. We seem to be going around in circles here so to save the mods any unneeded hassle of a Saturday evening I shall now take my leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

But as someone said, its the (deeply flawed, imo) democratic process, so what can you do.

When you spot nepotism, cronyism etc comment on it and say its not a very good thing for a modern fair and equal democracy. Doesnt need to take very long or be involved, just say you see what is happening and you think its wrong.

You will probably get some flak from people with vested interest in the status quo, but thats just the way change works

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mickelos

Disgraceful,how the hell did she get out of the kitchen in the first place!!! Sure why wouldn't she follow her father onto the graveytrain ,better money and security then most jobs,she's set up for life in this job

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

When you spot nepotism, cronyism etc comment on it and say its not a very good thing for a modern fair and equal democracy. Doesnt need to take very long or be involved, just say you see what is happening and you think its wrong.

You will probably get some flak from people with vested interest in the status quo, but thats just the way change works

This thread is 38 pages long. Over half of that is people saying we shouldn't complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

mickelos wrote: »
    Disgraceful,how the hell did she get out of the kitchen in the first place!!! Sure why wouldn't she follow her father onto the graveytrain ,better money and security then most jobs,she's set up for life in this job

Banned for trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Nothing wrong with complaining but it's the way in which it's done that makes a difference. A well-thought-out, considered argument is always great to read IMO, whether I agree or not, but it rarely applies to the government-bashing bandwagon, which consists of little more than "They're a shower of bastards, feck 'em" and absolutely zero alternatives offered, and zero insight into the processes that need to be followed (Not a FG voter btw).
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    OK let me put it in another context for you...

Remember the days of CJH buying himself very expensive suits and a lavish lifestyle while much of the country was on the breadline?

It's the same principle - by all means take your day off Helen, but you should have the cop on (certainly with a Masters in Communication) to realise that when you've just been given a massive salary with no track record to vouch for it, it's probably best to just keep quiet while you're on the doss.. (especially when many of the people you supposedly represent are working today to keep a roof over their heads - if they have a job at all)
    "On the doss"? Surely that phrase only refers to people who are supposed to be working/at work and or arsing around or skiving off.
    As opposed to someone being off on the Saturday of an Easter/bank holiday weekend, which is of course something completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Should the status quo be changed to debar political parties from selecting a relation of a politician to be their candidate in an election? Or barring such persons from standing as independents? So as to prevent people unable to spot nepotism and cronyism voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Henlars67 wrote: »
    It's a Saturday of a bank holiday weekend. Most people will be doing things not related to work.

Anyone who has a problem with that is a moron, plain and simple.

I've rarely seen such an issue made out of a complete non-issue.

Nice to see your side of the argument has no need for insults :rolleyes:
    Well yes tbh. A few examples:

Newly elected TD, hasn't even started the new job decides to have a surf on a Saturday presumably paid for from her own money and puts a photo up on twitter, mind your bloody business.

Sure, why would we expect her to be getting up to speed with legislation before the Dáil. She can wait til next week and be told how to vote.
    Joe bloggs, aced a job interview on the Thursday, hasn't even started the new job decides to have a surf on a Saturday presumably paid for from his own money and puts a photo up on twitter, mind your bloody business.
    He's not representing the people now is he?
    Said TD goes for a surf when she's meant to be working and posts up a photo on twitter, then its time to comment.

When does she start work in your view? When she is sworn in? Or when she is elected?
    Madam_X wrote: »
    "On the doss"? Surely that phrase only refers to people who are supposed to be working/at work and or arsing around or skiving off.
    As opposed to someone being off on the Saturday of an Easter/bank holiday weekend, which is of course something completely different.

How would you feel if you had an urgent matter and tried to contact your TD and were told "Sorry, I don't work Bank Holiday weekends, call me Tuesday"

MadsL wrote: »
    How would you feel if you had an urgent matter and tried to contact your TD and were told "Sorry, I don't work Bank Holiday weekends, call me Tuesday"
    I'd feel grand about it - the same as I'd feel about any service provider that's not open on (bank holiday) weekends. :confused:
    If part of their job spec is to be on call at weekends though, and it was a genuine emergency, then they'd comply - because they're on call.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sort of sums up politics in Ireland, girl gets the job for no other reason than it was her da's seat.

Yeah, that makes her qualified.

But then again, when you see the party that wrecked this country for generations to come going back up in the polls after a couple of years, you have got to despair about how Irish people vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'd feel grand about it - the same as I'd feel about any service provider that's not open on (bank holiday) weekends. :confused:
    If part of their job spec is to be on call at weekends though, and it was a genuine emergency, then they'd comply - because they're on call.

Do you think TDs should work set hours, 40 a week, 5 weeks off, not available weekends, bank holidays. That is kind of what you are arguing for. That and having them tweet how much they are Chillaxing in the sunny Algave.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Do you think TDs should work set hours, 40 a week, 5 weeks off, not available weekends, bank holidays. That is kind of what you are arguing for. That and having them tweet how much they are Chillaxing in the sunny Algave.

Hyperbole central in here tonight.

Sure, why would we expect her to be getting up to speed with legislation before the Dáil. She can wait til next week and be told how to vote.
    TBH seeing as she has a degree in politics I'd imagine she already knows how to do that. Hell I have one and I know how that gig works.

He's not representing the people now is he?
    And that means? You're not representing anything 24/7

When does she start work in your view? When she is sworn in? Or when she is elected?
    Like any job, when you're on the clock you do the gig.

I highly doubt that happened now do you?

• Advertisement

Do you think TDs should work set hours, 40 a week, 5 weeks off, not available weekends, bank holidays. That is kind of what you are arguing for.
    It is? No, I think they should be on call - within reason. They're obviously entitled to breaks to though - as you know.

What emergency could a TD look after on a bank holiday weekend?
    That and having them tweet how much they are Chillaxing in the sunny Algave.
    Not much issue with that if they're on holidays - everyone gets holiday leave. It's not advisable for a politician though - looks naff.

Advertisement