Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

MadsL wrote: »

You missed out the image.

Feels like I'm reading the FB of some young one, rather than someone entrusted with the future of the nation.

If that is the Govt you want, so be it.

I'm done.

I saw the image. Was she crowing in the image?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

I can see how people can take issue with it, I can also see how people think its a thing of nothing. But from both sides I dont think it needs this level of an argument. You either shrug off the fact that it might irk some people or you tut and shake your head at the fact she did it and move on.

Personally I'll tut and shake my head (I've posted my disapproval) but this thread is overkill on both ends I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I saw the image. Was she crowing in the image?

You're really not getting his/my/others points on this are you?

For someone who has been elected to our national parliament without any track-record or experience to offer to be tweeting like a schoolkid about "Chillout time" 2 days after she gets the job (and the 92k salary that in my opinion she doesn't deserve at this point in her career) is poor taste at best and idiocy at worst - especially from someone supposedly schooled in "Communication"

She gave up the right to be a "normal 26 year old" when she put her name on the ballot paper and the first thing she should have learned (or been told) is politics is about perception even moreso than reality a lot of the time - and I think she's already behind on that one based on this. It certainly wouldn't inspire me with confidence in how serious she'll take the job if this is her attitude so far.

If she wants to go off surfing and "chilling out" rather than prepping for her new job then that's her choice - but she should at least have the cop on to not be on about it on Twitter while many of her constituents are working for far less (if they have jobs at all thanks to her party's insistence on continuing the failed policies of their predecessors and masters) just to put food on the table and a roof over their heads .. 2 things this girl will never have to worry about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    You're really not getting his/my/others points on this are you?

For someone who has been elected to our national parliament without any track-record or experience to offer to be tweeting like a schoolkid about "Chillout time" 2 days after she gets the job (and the 92k salary that in my opinion she doesn't deserve at this point in her career) is poor taste at best and idiocy at worst - especially from someone supposedly schooled in "Communication"

She gave up the right to be a "normal 26 year old" when she put her name on the ballot paper and the first thing she should have learned (or been told) is politics is about perception even moreso than reality a lot of the time - and I think she's already behind on that one based on this. It certainly wouldn't inspire me with confidence in how serious she'll take the job if this is her attitude so far.

If she wants to go off surfing and "chilling out" rather than prepping for her new job then that's her choice - but she should at least have the cop on to not be on about it on Twitter while many of her constituents are working for far less (if they have jobs at all thanks to her party's insistence on continuing the failed policies of their predecessors and masters) just to put food on the table and a roof over their heads .. 2 things this girl will never have to worry about anyway.

Maybe I'm being silly and idealistic but whatever job you do shouldn't mean that you give up the right to live whatever life you want

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

P_1 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being silly and idealistic but whatever job you do shouldn't mean that you give up the right to live whatever life you want

Well there's the Gardai for one who are never truly "off duty" as an obvious example. Celebrities being chased endlessly by the press is another.

The reality is that we ALL make sacrifices and compromises when we accept a job - whether that's longer hours, commuting, less time at home etc.

In this case it means she should be aware of the fact that everything she now says or tweets or whatever will be no longer just between herself and her mates, but her constituents and the rest of the population.

For someone who has worked in politics and who has a Masters in Communication this should be a given - the fact she doesn't seem to have grasped that though is a concern as to her ability for the job just as her lack of experience or track record is.

And let's not forget we the taxpayer are paying her new inflated salary. We have every right to ensure we're getting the right person for the job.

• Advertisement

I can see how people can take issue with it, I can also see how people think its a thing of nothing. But from both sides I dont think it needs this level of an argument. You either shrug off the fact that it might irk some people or you tut and shake your head at the fact she did it and move on.

Personally I'll tut and shake my head (I've posted my disapproval) but this thread is overkill on both ends I think.

OK to return to what I consider the kernel of the issue so. Should political parties be outlawed from choosing relatives of politicians as candidates for an election? Or be made to choose people only above a certain age or with relative experience?

In my opinion they can select whoever they like and I leave it to the good sense of the voters to exercise their franchise as they see fit. If this produces "dynasties" then that is democracy in action.

How can the democratic process be changed to eliminate this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

OK to return to what I consider the kernel of the issue so. Should political parties be outlawed from choosing relatives of politicians as candidates for an election? Or be made to choose people only above a certain age or with relative experience?

In my opinion they can select whoever they like and I leave it to the good sense of the voters to exercise their franchise as they see fit. If this produces "dynasties" then that is democracy in action.

How can the democratic process be changed to eliminate this?

Thats certainly not the kernal of any issue I have. Parties can choose who they want to run and people will vote for whoever they want for whatever rasons they want. But that dosnt mean people cannot disapprove of them, the situation or their conduct. Which is what this seems to be about. However flimsy you see the disapproval thats all it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

Lecturers, who educated themselves to doctoral level, and earn far, far less than this 26 year old, are mostly working this weekend trying to get things done and will soon be told again that they are not worth even the lower salary than TDs that they do receive. Very bad taste to post this photo. On the other had, it lets us all know how *hard* TDs work for their money. It will be used against her at a later date when she starts claiming that teachers, doctors, guards, lecturers, don't deserve their (relatively) meager salaries...

smeedyova wrote: »
    Lecturers, who educated themselves to doctoral level, and earn far, far less than this 26 year old, are mostly working this weekend trying to get things done and will soon be told again that they are not worth even the lower salary than TDs that they do receive. Very bad taste to post this photo. On the other had, it lets us all know how *hard* TDs work for their money. It will be used against her at a later date when she starts claiming that teachers, doctors, guards, lecturers, don't deserve their (relatively) meager salaries...

Meagre relative to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭robbiezero

My hole, most lecturers are working this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Pull the other one.

Lecturers in Ireland spend their time waffling and giving themselves ego massages. I'd say the average lecturer puts in about a 13 hour week on average. That's during the year. They barely check their emails in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Pull the other one.

Lecturers in Ireland spend their time waffling and giving themselves ego massages. I'd say the average lecturer puts in about a 13 hour week on average. That's during the year. They barely check their emails in the summer months.

Bollox. I know that my lecturers are now taking tutorials as well as lectures. That's because of cutbacks. They have to correct assignments and exams. Plus they have to make their own contributions to journals etc..they have very little free time during the college year.

As opposed to a TD. 90k a year and **** all experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Grayson wrote: »
    Bollox. I know that my lecturers are now taking tutorials as well as lectures. That's because of cutbacks. They have to correct assignments and exams. Plus they have to make their own contributions to journals etc..they have very little free time during the college year.

As opposed to a TD. 90k a year and **** all experience.

Lecturer's struggling to get by! Ha!

They must be working in an IT or something. There are no lecturers in universities struggling in this country. That's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Lecturer's struggling to get by! Ha!

They must be working in an IT or something. There are no lecturers in universities struggling in this country. That's a fact.

I never said that they were struggling to get by. You're just trolling now.

I said that they worked hard. And that it wasn't the same as a TD wage. A junior lecturer in an NUI college starts at 40k-ish a year. Which is still half the amount a TD is on. They work hard and have a far higher level of qualification.

Meagre relative to what?

To TDs salaries.

All lecturers that I know, and that is many, are working this weekend, as with most every other weekend.

To TDs salaries.

All lecturers that I know, and that is many, are working this weekend, as with most every other weekend.

Do you want teachers, doctors, Garda and lecturers wages benchmarked against those of TD's There are only 166 TD's. Some salaries for teachers etc may be meagre relative to a TD but many other workers salaries are meagre relative to them.

Do you want teachers, doctors, Garda and lecturers wages benchmarked against those of TD's There are only 166 TD's. Some salaries for teachers etc may be meagre relative to a TD but many other workers salaries are meagre relative to them.

Given that one needs to be qualified to PhD level in order to be considered for an entry level position on 30-something thousand a year, it makes no sense that a TD, who does not need any qualifications, should earn more than three times that amount, does it?

But yes, if TDs are going to call for paycuts for people who have far more qualifications than them and who work far longer hours (most lecturers work a 70 hour, at least ), why not benchmark those salaries against their own? All of these people are working for the public sector, so why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Given that one needs to be qualified to PhD level in order to be considered for an entry level position on 30-something thousand a year, it makes no sense that a TD, who does not need any qualifications, should earn more than three times that amount, does it?

But yes, if TDs are going to call for paycuts for people who have far more qualifications than them and who work far longer hours (most lecturers work a 70 hour, at least ), why not benchmark those salaries against their own? All of these people are working for the public sector, so why not?

The first thing this Government did when they got into power was to cut their own salaries and pension entitlements. A lecturer tends to be in a permanent job, and not one where they find themselves out of a job after an election. They also tend to live close to where they work, and don't have to travel from Dublin to their constituencies.

I believe there is lots of appalling TD's (especially in the opposition ranks). I also believe that it is a very difficult job and that politicians are subject to unprecedented levels of abuse and scrutiny (one of which is perfectly acceptable to be under) for doing their job. Continuously blaming politicians for everything is an easy way of having to avoid self-scrutiny.

Sergeant wrote: »
    The first thing this Government did when they got into power was to cut their own salaries and pension entitlements. A lecturer tends to be in a permanent job, and not one where they find themselves out of a job after an election. They also tend to live close to where they work, and don't have to travel from Dublin to their constituencies.

I believe there is lots of appalling TD's (especially in the opposition ranks). I also believe that it is a very difficult job and that politicians are subject to unprecedented levels of abuse and scrutiny (one of which is perfectly acceptable to be under) for doing their job. Continuously blaming politicians for everything is an easy way of having to avoid self-scrutiny.

Few lecturers have permanent positions, most get 2-3 year contracts, if anything. Most, in Dublin, anyway, do not live anywhere near their jobs as the cost of housing is beyond the reach of anybody on a lecturer's salary. As such, most that I know have long commutes morning and evening, and no travel expenses.

Who has a job that is not difficult for whatever reason? Do you think that being a TD is more difficult and more demanding than being a junior doctor, for example? I think that being a refuse collector must be an awful job and society would fall apart very quickly if they didn't do their job, but I don't see anybody paying them 92k a year with great perks and pensions.

Lecturers are paid on a sliding scale depending on their experience. How much do you think the TD in question would be worth then?

Advertisement