Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Valetta wrote: »
    What's this "real world" that people keep talking about?

Is Meath not part of it?
    It's a place where the top of your wage statement has a harp with bunreacht na hEireann or such written under it,and boy do those letters keep coming,even after you've left, tis great

sincerely

Bortie O Horn

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    That's not much of a recommendation. A good opposition candidate should beat her if there is such a thing.

From interviews I've heard Ciara Conway has always been involved in politics so I don't know why that should go against her, this woman the same. (I've no affiliation to either party). Either way people have a vote they can decide for themselves. Id rather some younger candidates than the same old boys mens club.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Surely they could have found some GAA sportsman who's coming to the end of his career, he'd be far more suitable, knowing how to kick a ball and all?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think there's a definite need for more younger people in politics. Wasn't their a debate in the oireachtas recently, where the meaning of "frape" was understood to mean using Facebook to find targets to rape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Blisterman wrote: »
    I think there's a definite need for more younger people in politics. Wasn't their a debate in the oireachtas recently, where the meaning of "frape" was understood to mean using Facebook to find targets to rape?

We need less idiots in politics.

• Advertisement

Young people can be idiots too, if fact,it's almost a rite of passage. I prefer my elected oaf's to be old

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Nothing like dynasty politicians continuing the party politics of their parents to make you realise how little things are going to change...

Pots and pans clanging on the side of a donkey and living off food you've grown in the ruins of the old world, please come sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

She's 26. Not 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

kraggy wrote: »
    Riding the wave of the sympathy vote is not the same as someone who is bright, resourceful and politically minded in their own right.

I absolutely agree with you ... except that it appears the OP is less offended by the background to her nomination and the fact that she comes from a political dynasty than by the fact that she is a 26-year-old "girl".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Surely they could have found some GAA sportsman who's coming to the end of his career, he'd be far more suitable, knowing how to kick a ball and all?:confused:
    Well I'm sure if her uncle had been interested and available they'd have put him on the ticket. But he already has a distinguished career.

However, FG did try your suggestion in Meath with Graham Geraghty in 2007 - it didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

LittleBook wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with you ... except that it appears the OP is less offended by the background to her nomination and the fact that she comes from a political dynasty than by the fact that she is a 26-year-old "girl".
    +1

Looking at her education one would suspect this was her intended destination from the off. God knows we have enough career politicians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

This woman has obviously had political intentions from an early age, and I'm always wary of those types. I don't like the "jobs for the lads" either but she is one of "the lads"

We need more in tuned young people in the Dail to represent us. Not young ambitious politicians.

baalthor wrote: »
    Well I'm sure if her uncle had been interested and available they'd have put him on the ticket. But he already has a distinguished career.

However, FG did try your suggestion in Meath with Graham Geraghty in 2007 - it didn't work.

They hit the jackpot in North Kerry years ago, with Jimmy Deenihan being GAA and a teacher. He still gets elected now, although no-one seems to know what he's been doing for thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

LittleBook wrote: »

Her father was a TD. If she gets elected it might be the start of a future dynasty. But I don't think it can be called a dynasty at present.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dynasty

They hit the jackpot in North Kerry years ago, with Jimmy Deenihan being GAA and a teacher. He still gets elected now, although no-one seems to know what he's been doing for thirty years.

Funerals,who says the dead don't vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Brian Cowen was one of these badly needed young politicians when he got elected in '84. The fact that shes young and female doesnt automatically make her a breath of fresh air.
    She might be great for all I know. But if I had to choose between someone whos a little older, who has had some life experience and joined politics for the reason of actually trying to change something or a person of 26 who looks to be doing the party a favour by taking over their parent's seat, I know who'd get my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'd say the good people of meath would vote Billy Mcentee, the beloved pet goat of their late TD, into office if FG ran him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

They already tried with Graham Geraghty.

It was not a sucess.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    So that is a girl who when finished college rather go out and look for a job was given one by her Dad. We have all been lamenting politicians over the last few years who have employed family members in there constituencies. Anther example of cronyism.

The fact that people have being lamenting something means nothing. Yes, there is an issue with political dynasties, but most people who criticise them still don't grasp what the business of politics entails.

Equating it with cronyism is a classic example. Our public representatives are elected by the people, not appointed. You or I may not like who people elect, but that doesn't amount to cronyism.

There are two aspects to the continuation of dynasties - first there is 'the name'. Undoubtedly it has an effect. Why? Because if people think your relation was worth voting for they may believe that you have a higher than average chance of having similar traits that make you a decent politician. The problem here is what people think a decent politician is, and not the tendency to associate traits with family members.

The second aspect is what is usually ignored. Politics is a really, really tough gig. Smiling while swallowing a turd as Bill Clinton said. For all the talk about high pay etc.. the vast majority of people wouldn't want the job even if they were offered it. (IMO the demands of the job mean that we aren't getting the best public representatives, but that is for another thread). The public are demanding more and more from their 'privileged', 'useless', 'lazy' politicians, and one group of people best equipped to deal with these demands are those that grew up in that environment. People used to having their privacy invaded, people calling to your home for all sorts of stuff, endless meaningless public engagements designed to keep some interest group happy, the funerals, the canvassing, the local power struggles etc... The suggestion that a TD's family is 'molly-coddled' is about as far off the mark as it gets. They are battlehardened in a way that most other people cannot be, and more than the name, that is the advantage they hold when it comes to getting elected. Classic case is Áine Brady in Kildare. Not native to the constituency, no family name, yet she joined her two brothers in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Politicians should have to be qualified for whatever department they intend to serve in , ie. Finance Minister or Junior Finance Minister must have a background in Economics, Accountancy , their own business etc

And they should have to declare the area they intend to work in before they get elected.

It can't be a situation where we've got Mary/Mike being given the role as Minister for Justice/Health because he pulled the wrong job out of the hat.

This woman is no different. She seems to have the education but no experience in anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

Gambas wrote: »
    The fact that people have being lamenting something means nothing. Yes, there is an issue with political dynasties, but most people who criticise them still don't grasp what the business of politics entails.

Equating it with cronyism is an example. Our public representatives are elected by the people, not appointed. You or I may not like who people elect, but that doesn't amount to cronyism.

Yes TD's are elected but parliamentary assistants are not and that is what I was referring to in that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The second aspect is what is usually ignored. Politics is a really, really tough gig. Smiling while swallowing a turd as Bill Clinton said. For all the talk about high pay etc.. the vast majority of people wouldn't want the job even if they were offered it. (IMO the demands of the job mean that we aren't getting the best public representatives, but that is for another thread). The public are demanding more and more from their 'privileged', 'useless', 'lazy' politicians, and one group of people best equipped to deal with these demands are those that grew up in that environment. People used to having their privacy invaded, people calling to your home for all sorts of stuff, endless meaningless public engagements designed to keep some interest group happy, the funerals, the canvassing, the local power struggles etc... The suggestion that a TD's family is 'molly-coddled' is about as far off the mark as it gets. They are battlehardened in a way that most other people cannot be, and more than the name, that is the advantage they hold when it comes to getting elected. Classic case is Áine Brady in Kildare. Not native to the constituency, no family name, yet she joined her two brothers in the Dáil.
    It's a good point but, while what you describe would be intolerable for some, it would be quite agreeable for others. People who like the attention and notoriety, social climbers who would be quite at home fighting a local power struggle, people who enjoy the feeling of importance attending meaningless public engagements.

There's no doubt that one or two "dynasty" politicians are good at their jobs, but at the same there have been a lot of complete bell-ends supposedly representing people.

humbert wrote: »
    It's a good point but, while what you describe would be intolerable for some, it would be quite agreeable for others. People who like the attention and notoriety, social climbers who would be quite at home fighting a local power struggle, people who enjoy the feeling of importance attending meaningless public engagements.

Hence my point about us making demands on public representatives that is counterproductive if you want the most suitable people as public representatives. Off topic here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Current Wicklow TD Simon Harris was 24 when elected in 2011.Enda became a TD at 24.Bertie was 25.
    Im sure there are more.

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    Yes TD's are elected but parliamentary assistants are not and that is what I was referring to in that point.

Ok, point taken.

Equating it with cronyism is an example. Our public representatives are elected by the people, not appointed. You or I may not like who people elect, but that doesn't amount to cronyism.

There are two aspects to the continuation of dynasties - first there is 'the name'. Undoubtedly it has an effect. Why? Because if people think your relation was worth voting for they may believe that you have a higher than average chance of having similar traits that make you a decent politician. The problem here is what people think a decent politician is, and not the tendency to associate traits with family members.

The second aspect is what is usually ignored. Politics is a really, really tough gig. Smiling while swallowing a turd as Bill Clinton said. For all the talk about high pay etc.. the vast majority of people wouldn't want the job even if they were offered it. (IMO the demands of the job mean that we aren't getting the best public representatives, but that is for another thread). The public are demanding more and more from their 'privileged', 'useless', 'lazy' politicians, and one group of people best equipped to deal with these demands are those that grew up in that environment. People used to having their privacy invaded, people calling to your home for all sorts of stuff, endless meaningless public engagements designed to keep some interest group happy, the funerals, the canvassing, the local power struggles etc... The suggestion that a TD's family is 'molly-coddled' is about as far off the mark as it gets. They are battlehardened in a way that most other people cannot be, and more than the name, that is the advantage they hold when it comes to getting elected. Classic case is the Kitts and Áine Brady in Kildare in particular. Not native to the constituency, no family name, yet she joined her two brothers in the Dáil, having had a father as a TD. Quite simply, the family knows how to do the job of a politician, irrespective of constituency.

Tough gig? Probably, but no other than any other job, thats why most of them have to be forced out( election time ), very few choose to leave willingly, and boy,when they go they go with a bang,the bang being a stable pension that joe soap would have to work 100+ hours a week to match.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This woman is no different. She seems to have the education but no experience in anything.

Sorry but being a Parliamentary Assistant IS experience

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Crowbars 'Listowel' into long-winded speeches, mainly, from what I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Better than voting for a traitor from FF (Fiddle and Fraud) anyday. Thomas Byrne the FF candidate has become embroiled in controversy today as he denies removing a Bertie Ahern video. This guy represents everything that FF are about and shame on the people who will give him a vote.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ff-candidate-denies-taking-bertie-video-off-youtube-29116912.html

The McEntee girl hopefully can win it and so long as a Fianna Fail candidate does not win then it is a victory for honest people everywhere.

Advertisement