Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

krudler wrote: »
    This is hilarious, people do nothing but complain that politics is an old boy's club and now that a young woman wants in they're whinging, and nothing but remarks about her looks, christ no wonder women are put off getting into politics.

Yes getting in young people in is needed. But it should be the right calibre of young people. Not just any young person for the sake of being young.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well at least she's not trying to play off her father's name and is certainly not basing her entire campaign on manipulation and pity.
    Oh wait, she it.

Sarky wrote: »
    Young woman with university level knowledge of economics wants to help run country. This is a problem... how?

Young woman who with knowledge of economics rather works for Dad than going out to get a job in the marketplace.

Going out into the marketplace and getting a job where she would only succeed by working hard is a quality that too many of our represntatives do not have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

people do nothing but complain that politics is an old boy's club and now that a young woman wants in they're whinging .

Duh, this is a classic example of the "old boys' club" that everyone complains about, even if she is a chick. Also, I'm not criticising her clothes because she's a woman, (I'd say the same about some bogger in a tweed suit) but she's dressed like Mary O'Rourke circa 1986.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

From school to college and into the dail/civil service/RTE

No experience in the harsh real world,thats why we have such p1ss poor government and media in this country

Do you ACTUALLY know this??

She went from school to college (DCU - a degree - i think) to working and then back to college (Griffith College - post grad in journalism) and then into a job as her fathers assistant - because the timing suited

So she is educated and she does have some real world experience - i'm not saying she's the one for the job but just putting those facts straight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Honestly I dont know if even the money would tempt me, the absolute **** you have to put up with as a TD wouldnt be worth it at that age IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly what i was thinking, now a young girl wants to become a TD the begrudgers find a new angle to complain from

She's a woman, not an 8 year old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not just farming, a lot of businesses are carried on by the next generation.

That's a fair point, your child of the deceased will have first worked Saturdays as a school kid in the back store and then evenings rising from sweeper upper to shelf stacker to cashier and purveyor of death sticks to possibly even signing off deliveries from the wholesaler, not losing the paperwork and doing some adding up. At which point they are ready to run the local DIY shop.

Successfully representing tens of thousands of people and overseeing legislation and cross examining public bodies and private corporations should require more than your da dropping dead and an endorsement from the party leader (who would be happy for a turd to be elected if it was for his party).

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    Young woman who with knowledge of economics rather works for Dad than going out to get a job in the marketplace.

Going out into the marketplace and getting a job where she would only succeed by working hard is a quality that too many of our represntatives do not have.

Why wouldn't she work for her father. I think the vast majority of people would work for their Father/Mother or other relation given the opportunity. I know I would for sure.

What about all the people who work in a family business, its not that different apart from the fact the business is politics rather than something else.

rambutman wrote: »
    Do you ACTUALLY know this??

She went from school to college (DCU - a degree - i think) to working and then back to college (Griffith College - post grad in journalism) and then into a job as her fathers assistant - because the timing suited

So she is educated and she does have some real world experience - i'm not saying she's the one for the job but just putting those facts straight.

What did she work at between going to college and doing the post grad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

latenia wrote: »
    Duh, this is a classic example of the "old boys' club" that everyone complains about, even if she is a chick. Also, I'm not criticising her clothes because she's a woman, (I'd say the same about some bogger in a tweed suit) but she's dressed like Mary O'Rourke circa 1986.

Ah now, steady on there !
    No need for that sort of abuse.
    Uncalled for.
    The sort of thing that gives us all a bad name.
    Grotesque, unbelievable , bizarre and unprecedented.
    Way more like 1982. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    This woman has obviously had political intentions from an early age, and I'm always wary of those types. I don't like the "jobs for the lads" either but she is one of "the lads"

We need more in tuned young people in the Dail to represent us. Not young ambitious politicians.

Should we be voting in people who don't want to be elected instead? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Gambas wrote: »
    We have arguably the best qualified person in the country in charge of the Department of Health.

Not from a political dynasty? Check
    Medical professional? Check.
    Political background - head of IMO, experience of negotiating major agreements between medical representative bodies and government, check.
    Intelligent? Check.

And he is having a nightmare.

Simon Coveney -
    Inherited his seat
    Never farmed a day in his life
    Political background - blueblood FG insider

And arguably the best performing minster over the past 2 years.

So it doesn't work that way.

If you want a government where 'real world experience' is paramount, then we should dispense with the need to put elected politicians in ministerial positions. In fact the provision is already there, aside from Justice and Finance afaik, but it isn't ever done. IMO, you'll end up with a bunch of George Lee's in cabinet. Worse - unelected George Lee's.

Well the follow on question would be why did their experience in the field not make sure they performed better and did it help in any way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

If I voted, I'd give her 1 :)

mike65 wrote: »
    That's a fair point, your child of the deceased will have first worked Saturdays as a school kid in the back store and then evenings rising from sweeper upper to shelf stacker to cashier and purveyor of death sticks to possibly even signing off deliveries from the wholesaler, not losing the paperwork and doing some adding up. At which point they are ready to run the local DIY shop.

Successfully representing tens of thousands of people and overseeing legislation and cross examining public bodies and private corporations should require more than your da dropping dead and an endorsement from the party leader (who would be happy for a turd to be elected if it was for his party).

Well she has worked for 2 years in an official capacity as well has having a very relevant degree and I'm sure she has been involved in her fathers political life from a young age so quite similar to the above.

Also not all people who take over a business have to work up through all the ranks like that especially if the job involves going to University to get a qualification for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FCUKING SAD PIANO! :mad:

Ah wait now its even FCUKINGER UPBEAT JIVE! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Gambas wrote: »
    Simon Coveney -
    Inherited his seat
    Never farmed a day in his life
    Political background - blueblood FG insider

And arguably the best performing minster over the past 2 years.

Actually, wasn't Simon Coveney only 26 following his father's equally untimely death subsequent to which Simon took his seat? I don't recall anyone calling him a 'boy'.

bluewolf wrote: »
    She's a woman, not an 8 year old

In fairness, that one was in direct contrast to 'old boys' in the previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Exactly! Would anyone refer to a 26-year-old man as a 'boy'? I highly doubt it. This 'girl' nonsense gets on my hole. It's sexist and patronising.

As I recall, dylan haskins was getting that all the time last election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

That video is cringe...It's supposed to be an introduction about why you should vote for her , She gives her name then after 10 seconds starts talking about all the things her father did ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Should we be voting in people who don't want to be elected instead? :confused:[/Quopte]

Well Politics shouldn't be an initial career choice. People in school or college saying they want to be politicians sets off alarm bells!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That video is cringe...It's supposed to be an introduction about why you should vote for her , She gives her name then after 10 seconds starts talking about all the things her father did ?

With the sad, slow music, the wobbly lip and the extreme close up. Then....she looks to the future, the tempo of the music becomes more upbeat, she smiles....there is hope, but it lies in Fine Gael.

Pilotdude5 wrote: »

Well Politics shouldn't be an initial career choice. People in school or college saying they want to be politicians sets off alarm bells!

Why on earth not? In many countries you need a degree in politics to even be considered as a candidate. Not everyone who does those degrees ends up a cabinet minister but still, it would be a bit strange if none of them did.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aoraki

I have absolutely nothing against her gender or her age. In my opinion we need more women in politics and different age profiles as well. Ms McEntee has both, but that is not the only things we should be looking for in our politicians.

Working in the Dail is like working in a bubble, it is completely removed from the cut and thrust of life in the real world. The average working person doesn't get allowances for things like going to work every day, not to mention the rest of the renumeration package and benefits that politians get. The vast majority of career politicians have no idea what it's like to be a struggling small business owner, or a businessman trying to keep their company afloat, or an average family with one or two PAYE workers that have a big mortgage to pay, kids to feed, and a job in a crumbling economy to hold down. In my opinion we need more people that are like the examples I have mentioned above, because they are the ones who fund the whole sorry system and are more likely to want to change it. Career politicians have absolutely no interest in changing it, because it's a complete and utter gravy train for them.

Parachuting this woman onto the ticket for the by-election on the basis that her deceased father was the previous holder of the seat in question is classic cynical olde-worlde political practice in this country. It's right out of the FF/FG/Lab political playbook. She has built up no politcal collateral of her own, she hasn't run for election in any local elections, her previous experience working as a parliamentary assistant was off the back of her father, she didn't have to compete for that job. It appears she hasn't run any businesses and has never worked for a employer that wasn't "the State". Electing Ms. McEntee is not a breath of fresh air, it's more of the bloody same of the sh1tty cronyism that has completely f&cked up this country. You only need to ask one question - would this woman be a viable credible candidate for this seat if she wasn't the daughter of Shane McEntee? Unless you're incredibly naive, we all know the answer to that.

I'm all for electing 26 year old women, but not this one unfortunately for the reasons stated above. I also think that she will more than likely get elected, knowing how immature this country is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

This is hilarious, people do nothing but complain that politics is an old boy's club and now that a young woman wants in they're whinging, and nothing but remarks about her looks, christ no wonder women are put off getting into politics.

When people complain that it's an old boy's club they don't actually mean there are too many old males and you'll find that a small percentage of the objections had anything to do with her appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

why didn't she run for election prior to her fathers death ? ...

did she have any interest in politics ? or is she simply being pushed by someone else...or motivated by the payout ?

personally I think its sick that FG resort to hunting for a seat off the back of the death of the lady's father .... do they not have any other suitable candidates in that area or do they firmly believe that parish politics is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    Yes getting in young people in is needed. But it should be the right calibre of young people. Not just any young person for the sake of being young.

What's "the right calibre"? she's educated, if she walked out of a McDonalds or unskilled background and said she wanted to become a TD people would be complaining about that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Young people and women actually getting involved in politics for once and we're supposed to be against it?

I'm all for that, but this is a family legacy seat thing that's being pulled here and that has never worked out well for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

don't care about her lack of life or work experience, her gender or her age.

I think parachuting her onlo the ticket because of her father is gombeen politics. It's nearly as bad as FG finding someone else called Shane McEntee to enter the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've read through this thread and watched the arguing back and forth but no one has mentioned the 3 words that REALLY matter here...

Party Whip System

It doesn't matter who she is (although my own thoughts is that the child of a TD running on nothing more than name recognition and sympathy has no place in our national parliament), as long as we have that System in place they will ALL tow the line or face sanctions and expulsion.

This country is ran not by a coalition, or even a party. It's run by the handful that make up the cabinet.

Advertisement