Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

In fairness, that one was in direct contrast to 'old boys' in the previous post.

Indeed, mea culpa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Young people and women actually getting involved in politics for once and we're supposed to be against it?

I think its nepotism that would annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

What's the problem? She's an adult, she should be free to run if she wants. It's up to the people whether she gets in or not. A bit of younger fresher thinking couldn't hurt if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Corkbah wrote: »
    did she have any interest in politics ? or is she simply being pushed by someone else...or motivated by the payout ?

personally I think its sick that FG resort to hunting for a seat off the back of the death of the lady's father .... do they not have any other suitable candidates in that area or do they firmly believe that parish politics is alive and well.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/mcentees-daughter-urges-voters-to-look-beyond-name-as-she-runs-for-dads-seat-29116915.html
    She highlighted her own education, a degree in economics, politics and law in Dublin City University (DCU) and a master's in journalism and media communications, all before she worked as a parliamentary assistant for her father.

She has experience and qualifications and does seem to want a carerr in politics but all the spin drs wanted to show was her sad face, sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've read through this thread and watched the arguing back and forth but no one has mentioned the 3 words that REALLY matter here...

Party Whip System

It doesn't matter who she is (although my own thoughts is that the child of a TD running on nothing more than name recognition and sympathy has no place in our national parliament), as long as we have that System in place they will ALL tow the line or face sanctions and expulsion.

This country is ran not by a coalition, or even a party. It's run by the handful that make up the cabinet.

Good argument for voting for the Workers Party candidate then. He won't have any whips to answer to if he get elected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Do you honestly not see a problem with family dynasties in politics?
    Young and female is good, but just because of her fathers standing in politics?
    This is the reason for much of Ireland's problems.
    People who have never held down a job and their only claim into politics is that mammy or daddy was a politician is a joke.
    She'll prob get it too.
    Its a joke in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I wonder if she will have the same distaste for carer's as her late father.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stples

Regardless of her age or lack of experience the last thing this country needs at the moment is another FG T.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Well at least she's not trying to play off her father's name and is certainly not basing her entire campaign on manipulation and pity.
    Oh wait, she it.

Good to see no manipulation there alright! There was one stage where she was nearly even tears in.
    Of course she'd be upset over the death of her father as its still quite recent but nobody should be basing votes on this thing.

Thread title is ridiculous by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I wonder if she's pro choice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Cobb: What do you want?
    Saito: Inception. Is it possible?
    Arthur: Of course not.
    Saito: If you can steal an idea, why can't you plant one there instead?
    Arthur: Okay, this is me, planting an idea in your mind. I say: don't think about elephants. What are you thinking about?
    Saito: Elephants?
    Arthur: Right, but it's not your idea.

McEntee: Don't think about my name. Look beyond it. What are you thinking about?
    Public: Your name.

Sail in on a sympathy vote, alter the male:female demographic a smidgen.

MEH.

Also is this quote not a bit peculiar:

She highlighted her own education, a degree in economics, politics and law in Dublin City University (DCU) and a master's in journalism and media communications, all before she worked as a parliamentary assistant for her father.

"I inevitably began working with dad............."

Why bother with all that education if you're "inevitably" going to walk into a job with the oul' lad?

MEH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

oh god
    26 years old
    why dont they start letting 14-15 year olds become TD's hell they couldnt make the country any worse then it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

wasn't lucinda creighton 27 when she was elected?

whatever your views on political dynasties, more younger people are needed in the Dáil.

Although in Lucinda Cretin's case, I'm willing to make an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Beverly Flynn wasn't much older when she first ran for DE. Of course she really shook things up and ushered in a new era of politics when she got in....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    What did she work at between going to college and doing the post grad?

thats not the question I was answering - i was referring to this bit

"No experience in the harsh real world"

How do you define that? Going to work, getting a wage, paying your taxes, rent and bills - supporting yourself on your own.

Is that not what you call harsh real world experience?

If so, she definitely has that - if that's not what you call real world experience - are you saying that the people who only manage to do this don't have any?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given that the Government parties have given Revenue the power to enter and inspect a person's home to check they are in compliance with the home tax, whatever other attributes that woman has takes second place to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Manach wrote: »
    Given that the Government parties have given Revenue the power to enter and inspect a person's home to check they are in compliance with the home tax, whatever other attributes that woman has takes second place to that.

There is a CAHWT candidate standing. People who consider the HHC / LPT the most important issue can vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BizzyC wrote: »
    Career politicians are a plague.

People who don't have any experience outside of the public sector cannot hope to understand the needs and concerns of their constituents.
    Career politics? As opposed to someone who becomes a TD cos he fixed Johnnys tractor, and is well liked in Bally O Backwards cos he has a big farm?

Perhaps our country wouldn't be so fcuked if the people running it actually knew how to run it themselves, and not having to depend on expensive quangos to tell them how to think?

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Have to start somewhere. Don't see the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Enda's 'new politics' has a very distinct bang of the 'old politics' doesn't it?
    Not that we should be surprised, his daddy's coat-tails and unfortunate demise were exactly how Enda ended up in the Dail, where he sat for a few unremarkable decades until, like the last turkey in the shop at christmas his metioric rise to mediocraty made him the default-taoiseach of the day, so we could be looking a a future taoiseach here folks, as long as she keeps her head down and doesn't rock any bots anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If we don't want family members of TDs getting elected to the Dail, we should stop voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

sfwcork wrote: »
    she has her fathers nose anyways

FYP
    If we don't want family members of TDs getting elected to the Dail, we should stop voting for them.

I'd actually love to see a ban on family members getting elected, far too many cosy family relationships (Mammy O'Rourke and the Lendahands come to mind) ruined the country.

Recite after me.... "In the National Interest".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm all for young people entering the Dail, i would like to see a lot more of them both women and men.

But she is hardly breaking the mould. If she had no connection to a previously sitting TD it would do more for politics in this country. This jus strikes me as typical family dynasty politics. And we have had enough of them.
    LittleBook wrote: »
    She's a woman, not a girl. And frankly she's no less qualified and a lot better educated than a lot of TDs.

It will be good to have someone outside the usual mould entering politics for a change.

This is the political reform I would like to see. Has this candidate worked in the field of economics or did she leave university to work for her father? She sounds like an ideal candidate if she had some experience working in the field she was educated in.

Alas we see very few if any business people enter the Dail. They all seem to be career politicians.
    Politicians should have to be qualified for whatever department they intend to serve in , ie. Finance Minister or Junior Finance Minister must have a background in Economics, Accountancy , their own business etc

And they should have to declare the area they intend to work in before they get elected.

It can't be a situation where we've got Mary/Mike being given the role as Minister for Justice/Health because he pulled the wrong job out of the hat.

This woman is no different. She seems to have the education but no experience in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Ah for ****s sake.

She has studied politics. She gets a job in politics.

How many people here, studied a profession, and then got a job in that profession?
    How many people here support a sports team, simply because their father/mother supported the same team?

If she does a **** job, get rid of her. If she does a good job, we keep her on. Do people still not understand how this works yet?

Politics is like any other career. It's exactly that. A career.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Her age isn't the problem here. Regardless of being younger than most other TDs in the Dail, she's anything but a breath of fresh air. Simply there to tow the party line and make up the numbers for FG.

Yeah, as pointed out the current Minister for Health disproves that theory. Should the CEO of Aer Lingus need to know how to fly a plane?

The health service has never been run correctly in this country. I'm not a fan of O'Reilly but he was handed a rotten apple with the Health Portfolio.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Would she have any sort of chance if she wasn't his daughter?

Appears that if she is elected, it'll be on the basis of who she knows and who she was related to. What exactly is new about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

shanered wrote: »
    Do you honestly not see a problem with family dynasties in politics?
    Young and female is good, but just because of her fathers standing in politics?
    This is the reason for much of Ireland's problems.
    People who have never held down a job and their only claim into politics is that mammy or daddy was a politician is a joke.
    She'll prob get it too.
    Its a joke in my opinion.

Depends on the voter. I'd vote for her purely based on the basis of trying to get some younger voices in politics myself. When you have the people who make the laws in our country talking about regulating the Internet because of "Fraping, where you RAPE someone on Facebook", you start to despair about how utterly out of touch our politicians are with today's generation. About time someone stood up for or values as opposed to letting all these aul' fellas and wand hold us back.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the_syco wrote: »
    Career politics? As opposed to someone who becomes a TD cos he fixed Johnnys tractor, and is well liked in Bally O Backwards cos he has a big farm?

Perhaps our country wouldn't be so fcuked if the people running it actually knew how to run it themselves, and not having to depend on expensive quangos to tell them how to think?

or someone like the Healy Raes, who have nothing but their own publican interests at heart in their policies, and are voted in by idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,065 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Have to have a head start somewhere. Don't see the problem.

fyp

Advertisement