Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Not sure what all this 'real life experience' people keep talking about is all about. Look at the world of business, many of the top drivers of change are young people who have an idea and what to make it happen and aren't afraid of change.

Should only people who has lived in real poverty run, what about people who have been unemployed at some stage, surely only they know what it is like.

Rubbish, great leaders don't need to actually have lived the problem, they just need to be able to understand and drive others to make the changes necessary. Being a teacher doesn't mean your not able to be a TD, but being a person without any clear ideals or ideas does. We have loads of these middle aged men (and some women) who seem more intent and not rocking the boat. TD's of all parties seem to be able to tell us all the reasons why something can't be done. We can see from young people like Zuckerberg, Jobs (obviously when he was in his younger days) Gates etc completely changed the world. IBM wanted the world to be a certain way and these guys said 'no' lets try something different.

That's what we need. Now is a change to reset Ireland, to try things in a different way. Electing the same people won't deliver that change.

So Helen McEntee is the new Steve Jobs of politics. Meh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Not sure what all this 'real life experience' people keep talking about is all about. Look at the world of business, many of the top drivers of change are young people who have an idea and what to make it happen and aren't afraid of change.

Should only people who has lived in real poverty run, what about people who have been unemployed at some stage, surely only they know what it is like.

Rubbish, great leaders don't need to actually have lived the problem, they just need to be able to understand and drive others to make the changes necessary. Being a teacher doesn't mean your not able to be a TD, but being a person without any clear ideals or ideas does. We have loads of these middle aged men (and some women) who seem more intent and not rocking the boat. TD's of all parties seem to be able to tell us all the reasons why something can't be done. We can see from young people like Zuckerberg, Jobs (obviously when he was in his younger days) Gates etc completely changed the world. IBM wanted the world to be a certain way and these guys said 'no' lets try something different.

That's what we need. Now is a change to reset Ireland, to try things in a different way. Electing the same people won't deliver that change.

To be honest what we really need are new parties, the current set have too much baggage and owe too many favours to too many interest groups. With the current set up all we will do is repeat the cycle of boom and bust that has plagued Ireland for the past century.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What?

I mean, what?

Just because somebody has a degree in no way implies they are competent on the subject. There are many people out there with degrees in history who have no analytical skills whatsoever but merely relied on rota memory techniques to get them through the exams. Economics is very much an art in this regard, and what does it mean to say you have a 'degree in politics', like a 'degree in how to manipulate people/propaganda', nah, the overall point is that don't prostrate yourself to somebody just because they have a degree in it.

Some papers I've read have said she has 'degrees in politics, economics and law'...see the manipulation from 'degree' to 'degrees' - way overrated and probably just another mindless goon who has no critical or logical skills to impart on real life dilemmas. This probably explains the fact she decided to work as a secretary for her father which shows she mustn't be that keen on her so-called 'degrees'.

She might be in it for completely altruistic and well-meaning reasons. The fact that she wants to continue in her father's footsteps is no reason to paint her as selfish or maliciously minded. There's no reason to make it about her at all really. She still faces the same democratic process as everyone else.

FG are blatantly using her for the party's gain, not that they're any stranger of that.. they're not putting the best person forward and the whole thing reeks of desperation.

Kenny and Co. will be back in the Dail next week.. no doubt accusing others of populism, blind as they are to irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What?

I mean, what?

Just because somebody has a degree in no way implies they are competent on the subject. There are many people out there with degrees in history who have no analytical skills whatsoever but merely relied on rota memory techniques to get them through the exams. Economics is very much an art in this regard, and what does it mean to say you have a 'degree in politics', like a 'degree in how to manipulate people/propaganda', nah, the overall point is that don't prostrate yourself to somebody just because they have a degree in it.

Some papers I've read have said she has 'degrees in politics, economics and law'...see the manipulation from 'degree' to 'degrees' - way overrated and probably just another mindless goon who has no critical or logical skills to impart on real life dilemmas. This probably explains the fact she decided to work as a secretary for her father which shows she mustn't be that keen on her so-called 'degrees'.

So you missed the fact that I was taking a swipe at 90% of our politicians?

take a deep breath.

90% of our politicians have absolutely no experience that would qualify them to rule a country. I said our politicians are useless publicans and teachers. A girl fresh out of college is more competent than all of them.

Did I say I'd vote for her? No. I specifically said I wouldn't. I said I might after she got some life experience. But that would be assessing her at that point.

So, Fidelma, maybe you should read a post before going off on a dumbass rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

No mention of Barry Cowen yet. Great fella. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Getting the vote because of her family,just like Mary Coughlan did when her father passed away.

This country will never learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So has she done a terrible job as a TD yet or is all the naysaying still insubstantial complaining for the sake of complaining?

Getting the vote because of her family,just like Mary Coughlan did when her father passed away.

This country will never learn.

Like I said this is due to how the likes of FF, FG, Labour and SF seem to work. Set up an alternative party to these with the right money and marketing backup and we might be able to do something different. I'd love to do it but I don't have the money to put into such a venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Her age shouldn't be held against her. If her ideas and suggested policies are good enough, then people in her constituency should vote for her, whether she's 26 or 86

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Vox pouli vox Dei

The people of Meath east will decide if she's capable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Politicians should have to be qualified for whatever department they intend to serve in , ie. Finance Minister or Junior Finance Minister must have a background in Economics, Accountancy , their own business etc

And they should have to declare the area they intend to work in before they get elected.

It can't be a situation where we've got Mary/Mike being given the role as Minister for Justice/Health because he pulled the wrong job out of the hat.

Funny that you mention Justice and Health as Reilly and Shatter are well qualified for those areas and yet they are the worst ministers around!

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Funny that you mention Justice and Health as Reilly and Shatter are well qualified for those areas and yet they are the worst ministers around!

Scarily they're probably better than most of the backbenchers.

Thing is you don't really need to have experience in the particular area that you're managing. The Minister for defense doesn't have to be an ex soldier. And the minister for health doesn't need to be a radiographer/doctor. Finance does need to have some experience and or qualification in economics.

The difference is that the minister for health is not expected to treat people or apply any practical knowledge of medicine. But a numerically illiterate minister of finance who couldn't tell the difference between the Dow and nasdaq would be just incompetent.

I'd actually prefer for all ministers to have some basic knowledge of administration and finance. It might help them running their departments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

P_1 wrote: »
    Well to be honest, it is people of that age who are really being shat on from a great height by the current shower so why should they not be able to get elected to help to reduce some of this

IMO, there is one certainty in the debate about this latest case of attempted political nepotism and that's that Helen McEntee will not in several million years ever "reduce some of this" (the ****ting from a height)

I am so certain of this, I can call the above statement a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭pipie

Most of the politicians in the Dail already behave like they are aged between 4 and 14 years old;

A 26 year old might bring some wisdom to the table.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    IMO, there is one certainty in the debate about this latest case of attempted political nepotism and that's that Helen McEntee will not in several million years ever "reduce some of this" (the ****ting from a height)

That's true, she's from a very privlidged background. It's not like she's ever had to wonder where the next meal was coming from or had to work two jobs whilst in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Gambas wrote: »
    The fact that people have being lamenting something means nothing. Yes, there is an issue with political dynasties, but most people who criticise them still don't grasp what the business of politics entails.

Equating it with cronyism is a classic example. Our public representatives are elected by the people, not appointed. You or I may not like who people elect, but that doesn't amount to cronyism.
    This woman has been nominated uncontested, simply because of who her farther was. If she had declined to run under the FG brand, there were other contenders to the position. So is she really the best candidate for the position. This is classic cronyism.
    There are two aspects to the continuation of dynasties - first there is 'the name'.... The problem here is what people think a decent politician is, and not the tendency to associate traits with family members.
    Why is that a problem?
    The second aspect is what is usually ignored. Politics is a really, really tough gig. Smiling while swallowing a turd as Bill Clinton said. For all the talk about high pay etc.. the vast majority of people wouldn't want the job even if they were offered it. (IMO the demands of the job mean that we aren't getting the best public representatives, but that is for another thread). The public are demanding more and more from their 'privileged', 'useless', 'lazy' politicians, and one group of people best equipped to deal with these demands are those that grew up in that environment. People used to having their privacy invaded, people calling to your home for all sorts of stuff, endless meaningless public engagements designed to keep some interest group happy, the funerals, the canvassing, the local power struggles etc...
    If your chosen profession involves talking large ammounts of sh*te, you have to accept the risk of having to swallow some of it occasionally.
    The suggestion that a TD's family is 'molly-coddled' is about as far off the mark as it gets. They are battlehardened in a way that most other people cannot be, and more than the name, that is the advantage they hold when it comes to getting elected. Classic case is Áine Brady in Kildare. Not native to the constituency, no family name, yet she joined her two brothers in the Dáil.
    Áine Brady being parachuted in out the ether, to join her two brothers in the Dáil, is another example of none cronyism?

Has this young woman meantioned any of these "fresh new ideas", she is going to bring to the Dáil. All I've heard is she wants to continue her farther's great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

RayCon wrote: »
    Cash in on the sympathy vote ... she'll walk it - watch.:mad:

^ Agreed, its Fine Gael making sure they keep the seat
    sfwcork wrote: »
    she might actually now what the internet is

she should start as a senator

I am also hoping she will be able to spell know ;)
    pc7 wrote: »
    At 26 I think you'll find she is a woman rather than a girl, Ciara Conway was in her 20's when elected as a TD.

And Ciara Conway has done a great job in selling out her own constituency, If Ciara is the shining light as to why we should have young people in the Dail, then God help us all.
    Would you prefer yet another school teacher?

No, but someone with some life, work or business experience would be a help.
    kraggy wrote: »
    Riding the wave of the sympathy vote is not the same as someone who is bright, resourceful and politically minded in their own right.

If she gets in then it will show that Ireland has not changed one bit and the people deserve everything they get.

The above sentiment does not negate my sympathies for her family for their loss. However, the good of the nation is more important than sorting Shane's daughter out with a seat and a salary or the Fine Gael party with a guarantee of holding on to Mr. McEntee's seat.

I agree 100% with the last sentiment, we were promised change, what we got was the same ol same ol. The more we watch and listen the more we see just how the minds of these people work. Point in fact is the use of Miss McEntee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

mikemac1 wrote: »

Also its funny how the whole spetre of Reilly pulling a stroke for hospitals in his constitunecy has disappeared off the radar and other question in relation to his "investments"
    Also just before Mr Shatter was confirmed as Minister of Justice, his wife was charged with drunk driving, as a follow up, was she convicted and if so how long did she get put off the road for, and more importantly, did she serve the full term of the ban.
    By the way, this is not a pop at Fine Gael, whether it be FF, FG or Lab, they are all the same. Its just when these type of politicians spout "a new era of transparent and open politics" then they should remain transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ben Gilroy would be nice to see in D.E.

Be nice to see him use his Dail privileges to name and shame the corruption around without fear of prosecution.

Cant believe the greens still have a party together that was capable of producing a candidate tbh.

R.I.P to her father and all, but a recognisable name, and being female are not enough to deserve votes imo.

Classic case is Áine Brady in Kildare. Not native to the constituency, no family name, yet she joined her two brothers in the Dáil.

This would be Aine Brady that has her constituancy office in Maynooth (which is in Kildare) in BRADY's auctioneers. And joined her two brothers? And worked in celbridge for 20 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Áine_Brady
    She was a teacher at Scoil na Mainistreach in Celbridge for 22 years. She was an unsuccessful candidate for Dáil Éireann at the Kildare North by-election in 2005, but won the seat at the 2007 general election.[4]

Brady is the sister of former Fianna Fáil chief whip Tom Kitt and of former Minister of State Michael P. Kitt, and the daughter of former TD Michael F. Kitt. She is married to former TD Gerry Brady, they have four children.

• Advertisement

LittleBook wrote: »
    She's a woman, not a girl. And frankly she's no less qualified and a lot better educated than a lot of TDs.

It will be good to have someone outside the usual mould entering politics for a change.

I agree. I for one am fed up with all these politicians who have feck all real world experience. Especially all the haugheys, Lenihans, Healy-raes etc.. They almost expect to get a job because of who their fathers were.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Christ another big moan thread!

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Without a shadow of a doubt. Politicians are paid too much and are too high up in the pile in this country to realise the issues that the majority of us who would be towards the bottom of the pile face

Grayson wrote: »
    That's true, she's from a very privlidged background. It's not like she's ever had to wonder where the next meal was coming from or had to work two jobs whilst in college.

There are a good few comments like this and I dont get it. Why do people have had to go through hardship to be any good. Most people don't ever have to worry where the next meal is coming from or have to work two jobs to get through college.

There are a good few comments like this and I dont get it. Why do people have had to go through hardship to be any good. Most people don't ever have to worry where the next meal is coming from or have to work two jobs to get through college.

I was responding to a post which was responding to this
    P_1 wrote: »
    Well to be honest, it is people of that age who are really being shat on from a great height by the current shower so why should they not be able to get elected to help to reduce some of this

She isn't being shat on from a great height. She's not experienced any of the difficulties most students would have to go through or even the crap non-students have to go through.
    I can't really see what a girl who's had a privileged upbringing and only one job (that her dad gave her) could offer as a TD. I'd expect some experience. If I was interviewing her for a job at a company she'd be lucky to get an entry level position starting at 20k a year.

I was responding to a post which was responding to this

She isn't being shat on from a great height. She's not experienced any of the difficulties most students would have to go through or even the crap non-students have to go through.
    I can't really see what a girl who's had a privileged upbringing and only one job (that her dad gave her) could offer as a TD. I'd expect some experience. If I was interviewing her for a job at a company she'd be lucky to get an entry level position starting at 20k a year.

By the very same logic our current crop of politicians don't seem to be doing too well for all their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I think everyone should vote for her because of her pretty clothes, not because of who her father was.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think the point being made is that someone who has likely never had to do without or sacrifice something to do something else, is unlikely to grasp the real hardships a lot of people in this country are going through every day - especially in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭rambutman

How do you know this? Or how did you manage to jump to this conclusion?

Do you think she lived at home with mammy and daddy until now? I had plenty of time wondering where the next meal was coming from when i was in college and the fact my mother and father had plenty of cash back home had no effect on my situation.

Everyones entitled to their opinions but at least get the facts straight.

Like everyone else she did work through college, and she worked through her post grad and would go home to Nobber plenty to work in the family bar - unpaid.

I know this because i know her well - she's a dear friend and a lovely person. I can't vouch for her credentials as i don't know politics or what she knows (politically).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Love the psychology she's employing already. Pre-empting the criticism head on by saying she recognises she'll get the sympathy vote and her name gives her a head start straight off BUT to look beyond all this and to see that she can do sterling work for the constituency in her own right WHILE staying true to the values of her late father.

She's got it alright! :D

Advertisement