Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl 26 looking to become a TD- WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

rambutman wrote: »
    How do you know this? Or how did you manage to jump to this conclusion?

Do you think she lived at home with mammy and daddy until now? I had plenty of time wondering where the next meal was coming from when i was in college and the fact my mother and father had plenty of cash back home had no effect on my situation.

Everyones entitled to their opinions but at least get the facts straight.

Like everyone else she did work through college, and she worked through her post grad and would go home to Nobber plenty to work in the family bar - unpaid.

I know this because i know her well - she's a dear friend and a lovely person. I can't vouch for her credentials as i don't know politics or what she knows (politically).

Would you vote for her/recommend her to become a TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

good to see nepotism alive and well in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Do you think she lived at home with mammy and daddy until now? I had plenty of time wondering where the next meal was coming from when i was in college and the fact my mother and father had plenty of cash back home had no effect on my situation.

Like everyone else she did work through college, and she worked through her post grad and would go home to Nobber plenty to work in the family bar - unpaid.

I know this because i know her well - she's a dear friend and a lovely person. I can't vouch for her credentials as i don't know politics or what she knows (politically).

Well, isn't this a disgrace, she probably put you up to this as well. ;)

Look, the McEntee's are known around Meath as a very well off background and so she's been in his shadow since she was born. I have no doubt she is a 'lovely person', but so are many other people and that's not good enough to be elected as a member to run the country!

Fine Gael are bad for even putting her up for nomination in the hope she can ride the wave of the sympathy vote - but she is worse for accepting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Grayson wrote: »
    That's true, she's from a very privlidged background. It's not like she's ever had to wonder where the next meal was coming from or had to work two jobs whilst in college.

Well why dont some of these people from the 'real' world run against her then. If their salt of the earth experience and knowledge is so valubale they will surely walk it. This real world, worrying about where the next meal is coming from claptrap bugs me. If someone does not have the wherewithal to feed themselves in modern ireland well I dont want them in parliament.

It is obvious that this young lady, given what she has studied has always fancied a career in politics. Circumstances have conspired to create a situation that she is running for her high office possibly before she had planned (just a guess on my part), but I am sure the electorate can make a sensible decision based upon hearig what she has to say. This jumping to conlusions that she is incapable just because she has not been on skid row in her late teens is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone who saw Fidelma Healy Eames' performance and is keeping an eye on the very real threat of this government tampering with internet freedom because they don't understand it should very easily see why we need young people in the Dail to stick up for our values and concerns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

dirtyden wrote: »
    Well why dont some of these people from the 'real' world run against her then. If their salt of the earth experience and knowledge is so valubale they will surely walk it. This real world, worrying about where the next meal is coming from claptrap bugs me. If someone does not have the wherewithal to feed themselves in modern ireland well I dont want them in parliament.

It is obvious that this young lady, given what she has studied has always fancied a career in politics. Circumstances have conspired to create a situation that she is running for her high office possibly before she had planned (just a guess on my part), but I am sure the electorate can make a sensible decision based upon hearig what she has to say. This jumping to conlusions that she is incapable just because she has not been on skid row in her late teens is ridiculous.

Its voters like you which Fine Gael are appealing to in this election.

Unfortunately, there are enough to ensure she wins the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Anyone who saw Fidelma Healy Eames' performance and is keeping an eye on the very real threat of this government tampering with internet freedom because they don't understand it should very easily see why we need young people in the Dail to stick up for our values and concerns.

Young people like Seán Searlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

It has little to do with whether or not the person comes from a privileged background. The problem is that people should, but don't seem to have an aversion to political dynasties. If she is elected, it won't be because of good work done at a local level, as with people like Ming Flanagan. But will be wholly related to who she is and her family tragedy. We have more than enough people like that propping up party leaders in the Dail as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

hehe. You said nobber.

Great she's got a lovely personality. wait, sorry, don't they all have lovely personalities.

So wait, she had to work her way through college, but worked unpaid as well? Which is it? Cos I'm working full time and doing third year in college. And I can tell you, I wouldn't have time to do another job unpaid.

So, can you suggest any reason at all, why she should be taken as a serious candidate or just as a joke one? As someone who knows more than we do, and is willing to jump to her defense, there has to be something you can say.

I always love that response. You are not allowed criticise someone because you're not trying to do it yourself. Feck off with that bollocks.

She's trying to inherit daddy's job. She's from a family that's loaded and has absolutely no experience whatsoever to bring to the table. I'm not even saying it has to be political experience. Just having to hold down a full time job and support herself would have been nice to see. But there's no experience. It's an empty CV. absolutely nothing on it.

Let's all vote for the inanimate carbon rod instead. At least it's won the best employee award.

And it's the height of entitlement to believe that people should vote for her when the only things she has going for her is who her dad is.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Young people like Seán Searlock?

:confused: He's 40?

???
    Is that old?

I always love that response. You are not allowed criticise someone because you're not trying to do it yourself. Feck off with that bollocks.

She's trying to inherit daddy's job. She's from a family that's loaded and has absolutely no experience whatsoever to bring to the table. I'm not even saying it has to be political experience. Just having to hold down a full time job and support herself would have been nice to see. But there's no experience. It's an empty CV. absolutely nothing on it.

Let's all vote for the inanimate carbon rod instead. At least it's won the best employee award.

And it's the height of entitlement to believe that people should vote for her when the only things she has going for her is who her dad is.

That is exactly the response I was expecting from you. Holding down a job that barely makes ends meet is the qualification required for political office, not accquiring an extensive education in economics and politics?

What you are suggesting is more akin to voting for the inanimate carbon rod.

Its voters like you which Fine Gael are appealing to in this election.

Unfortunately, there are enough to ensure she wins the election.

What had my post got to do with Fine Gael? How do you know how I vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

good to see nepotism alive and well in this country

She has an Honours degree in Economics, Politics and Law from DCU and a Masters in Journalism and Media Communications from Griffith College and she also has an in-depth and personal knowledge of how politics works. She's arguably far more qualified than most people in the Dail currently

That is exactly the response I was expecting from you. Holding down a job that barely makes ends meet is the qualification required for political office, not accquiring an extensive education in economics and politics?

What you are suggesting is more akin to voting for the inanimate carbon rod.

Holding down ANY job. That's ANY job. Anything at all that wasn't a job given to her by her dad.

I'm not saying it has to be part time in burgerking or CEO of a company. It can be any job at all. Her CV is completly devoid of experience doing anything.

She's applying for a job that involves running the country and the only reference she can supply is her dad's.

Seriously, am I the only person that expects a candidate to be able to provide evidence of their ability to do a job?

BOHtox wrote: »
    She has an Honours degree in Economics, Politics and Law from DCU and a Masters in Journalism and Media Communications from Griffith College and she also has an in-depth and personal knowledge of how politics works. She's arguably far more qualified than most people in the Dail currently

I agree. And as I said in an earlier post, in 10 years i might consider voting for her. But I'd like to see her get some actual experience doing something first.

Holding down ANY job. That's ANY job. Anything at all that wasn't a job given to her by her dad.

I'm not saying it has to be part time in burgerking or CEO of a company. It can be any job at all. Her CV is completly devoid of experience doing anything.

She's applying for a job that involves running the country and the only reference she can supply is her dad's.

Seriously, am I the only person that expects a candidate to be able to provide evidence of their ability to do a job?

So she has worked in politics and has a series of qualifications in economics and politics, but to be a politician she would have been better of holding down any other job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He looks like either snap crackle or pop.. thats young enough

Allyall wrote: »
    ???
    Is that old?

Not "old", but not Gen Y either, and since it's Gen Y that's grown up with the technology we have today, in my view they're better placed to decide how to regulate it.
    People in their mid twenties now have grown up with social media and understand how it works. People like Sherlock and Healy Eames did not and that probably contributes to the utterly asinine policies they pursue towards it.

Is it non PC to admit that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

It isn't like a TD giving family members a job at taxpayers expense. She still has to face an electorate.
    If the people of Meath-East elect her then so be it, it most certainly won't be nepotism.

She is highly qualified and the dail needs more young voices. Anyone who says she's too young is an idiot.

There are many many reasons why people shouldn't vote for her. Her age definitely isn't one of them, neither is the fact that her father was a TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can the thread title be changed from girl to woman?

Not "old", but not Gen Y either, and since it's Gen Y that's grown up with the technology we have today, in my view they're better placed to decide how to regulate it.
    People in their mid twenties now have grown up with social media and understand how it works. People like Sherlock and Healy Eames did not and that probably contributes to the utterly asinine policies they pursue towards it.

Is it non PC to admit that?

I wouldn't necessarily agree.. My older brother is 40 (Maybe 41..) And his generation all grew up with technology. I would say Gen Y are after. (I'm Gen Y).

Maybe the Social Media part, and that is quite important for politics, but that's about it. Okay smartphones etc.. But i would say age isn't much to do with it. a 40 year old could know a lot more than a 21 year old or 25 year old, and vice versa.

Sean Sherlock however, studied Politics in Galway, and is minister for research and innovation.. Possibly the single worst matching of a person to a position ever.

She is 26 and may know a lot less about technology than Enda Kenny. (I doubt it, but it's possible)

Seems she has been waiting for this opening, given what she chose to do in college (I don't mean the loss of her father), She probably assumed she was entitled to it. But given that she hasn't actually done anything or worked anywhere, I wouldn't vote for her. She has probably leap-frogged over a few other people that are more qualified and have been waiting for a long time. She should get a life, job, experience and come back in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Allyall wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily agree.. My older brother is 40 (Maybe 41..) And his generation all grew up with technology. I would say Gen Y are after. (I'm Gen Y).

Maybe the Social Media part, and that is quite important for politics, but that's about it. Okay smartphones etc.. But i would say age isn't much to do with it. a 40 year old could know a lot more than a 21 year old or 25 year old, and vice versa.

Sean Sherlock however, studied Politics in Galway, and is minister for research and innovation.. Possibly the single worst matching of a person to a position ever.

She is 26 and may know a lot less about technology than Enda Kenny. (I doubt it, but it's possible)

Seems she has been waiting for this opening, given what she chose to do in college (I don't mean the loss of her father), She probably assumed she was entitled to it. But given that she hasn't actually done anything or worked anywhere, I wouldn't vote for her. She has probably leap-frogged over a few other people that are more qualified and have been waiting for a long time. She should get a life, job, experience and come back in 5 years.

Why? what is wrong with her wanting a career in politics from a young age?

If she waits 5 years then the chance might never present itself.

In politics one has to take the opportunities when they come.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    It isn't like a TD giving family members a job at taxpayers expense. She still has to face an electorate.
    If the people of Meath-East elect her then so be it, it most certainly won't be nepotism.

She is highly qualified and the dail needs more young voices. Anyone who says she's too young is an idiot.

There are many many reasons why people shouldn't vote for her. Her age definitely isn't one of them, neither is the fact that her father was a TD.
    So she has worked in politics and has a series of qualifications in economics and politics, but to be a politician she would have been better of holding down any other job.

So, who paid for her job as her fathers assistant?

And you're missing my point. College qualifications are great. And I've even said that she probably knows more about economics than most politicians. But she's asking us, the electorate, to vote for her when she's gotton no experience. She's expecting to be hired into a high level job with no experience on her CV at all.
    Nothing, just a job for her dad with him as a reference. And of course she has his name. But that's it.

Because elections are a once in a lifetime event. It's not like we have them every, say, 5 years?

And it's not like we have single seat constituencies.

(are you posting these things deliberately?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Because gombeen career politicans with no life experience who got where they are purely based on family connections are a blight on Irish public life. The only job she ever had was one handed to her by her father.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I think people are being a tad discriminatory on age dismissing her because she's 26.

In politics one has to take the opportunities when they come.

Nothing is wrong with her wanting a career in politics at any age. But to step up without any life experiences shows how little she knows and how much she thinks she is entitled to it.

If she was made a TD what office could she be appointed to? What experience does she have in anything? What decisions is she qualified to make? How would she decide on her decisions, especially if she had to make them quickly?
    If she was made Minister tomorrow for an office that oversees your profession, would you be happy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

P_1 wrote: »
    I think people are being a tad discriminatory on age dismissing her because she's 26.
    Nobody is doing that.

Advertisement