Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a question

Options
  • 08-03-2013 11:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14

Hi all, If I buy say, a guitar, from a foreign website, am I supposed to pay import duty on it? I just mean privately, I'm not talking about buying a container load to sell....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

If it's from outside the EU then yes, yes you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 martingibson

Ravelleman wrote: »
    If it's from outside the EU then yes, yes you will.

Thanks Ravellman. Feck that so, they have one in music minds in town 30euro cheaper than thomann.
    (Sorry mr taxman, I wasn't trying to dodge anything, lol!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I THINK that you only pay import duty from outside the EU, free trade and all thet.

certainly here in the North, I've bought stuff from Spain at over £300 a time and never had any issues, but £20 from the US and I get caught......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,684 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah it's free trade within the EU, but if you were to buy something from the States or China etc, it'd be subject to 13% customs duty and the VAT on top of that.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Yeah it's free trade within the EU, but if you were to buy something from the States or China etc, it'd be subject to 13% customs duty and the VAT on top of that.

Thanks for the info guys, like I say, I found one in a shop cheaper anyway, and it's less hassle all round. Rather spend my cash in this country too tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I THINK that you only pay import duty from outside the EU, free trade and all thet.

certainly here in the North, I've bought stuff from Spain at over £300 a time and never had any issues, but £20 from the US and I get caught......

Yep, the European Union Customs Union applies equally to the UK. It's not quite free trade as items from outside the Union are taxed.

No tax from Spain; tax from America.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 rickian325

It's a wonder the government haven't slapped on some equivalent of vrt onto other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

rickian325 wrote: »
    It's a wonder the government haven't slapped on some equivalent of vrt onto other stuff.

Don't be givin them feckers any ideas :D

Don't be givin them feckers any ideas :D

I'm sure they're more than capable of coming up with their own bad ideas, haha! In all seriousness though, a bit more buyimg from Irish businesses rather than sending all our cash abroad would probably be a very good thing in the current climate, i.m.o.

Advertisement