Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROPOSED WIND FARMS

Options
  • 08-03-2013 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Application with the relevant planning authorities for the erection of these massive wind turbines may take place by end of this year.Just wondering are the rural residents in Westmeath and surrounding counties concerned about this? I certainly am.I sense great lack of concern and awareness of what is comming down the tracks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

a lot of apathy out there alright

the companies involved are being very clever by alienating the various people involved

the IFA also are being very shortsighted

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Chloe Pink

Application with the relevant planning authorities for the erection of these massive wind turbines may take place by end of this year.Just wondering are the rural residents in Westmeath and surrounding counties concerned about this? I certainly am.

"Plans to build 2,300 wind turbines across the midlands to supply electricity to the UK"

That's reason for grave concern - I posted a new thread on the Midlands forum although it doesn't seem well visited so glad you posted here.

Although conceived years ago, this matter is hitting the news now and has serious implications for many.

The McGlinchey situation - "planning approval to operate without noise constraint" - 5.59mins into video

http://ruralprotectiongroup.com/inde...r-a-wind-farm/

Kept awake by turbines 2-3 nights of the week (5.20mins into video)
    14 turbines, closest 1700 metres from house
    34 operational
    Will soon be 111 in total within 4 mile radius

Mclincheys also in this article
    http://www.tyronecon.co.uk/articles/...rmation-event/

Some wind turbine Information group links for starters but first steps are to mobilise your community and gather information on which land is now under contract for potential wind development.

http://lwig.net/index.html
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lakelands-Windfarm-Information-Group/441901932538961
    https://twitter.com/lwig2012
    http://connemaraagainstwindfarms.com/wp/

There's also been a long thread on it in the After Hours forum on it with lots about the noise issues.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=83387695

Recent press articles

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...329371495.html
    "Mr Duncan said the British government “appears to be delighted that Irish people seem less aware of the noise and visual pollution associated with wind turbines [and] don’t actually understand the scale of them”."

"A number of companies are seeking to erect up to 2,300 wind turbines, each some 185m high, across five midland counties. The power they generated would be exported to Britain via the electricity interconnector with Wales."

"Richard Tol, economics professor at University of Sussex and formerly of the Economic and Social Research Institute, said it was a “good deal” from the British perspective, but for Ireland, it would amount to “giving away the family silver”."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/55b02510-6...#ixzz2Mw2ZTLDr
    "But the proposal to build multiple wind farms in Ireland to supply UK customers has prompted opposition among environmentalists in Ireland. Wind farm information groups have sprung up in parts of the country, expressing concern about the scale of the proposals."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...330792044.html
    Plans to build 2,300 wind turbines across the midlands to supply electricity to the UK were described last night at a public meeting as an “outrage”. Local people in the Co Laois village of Ballyroan called for a moratorium on Government proposals to locate wind turbines in five midland counties until proper environmental assessments take place"

"Mr Duncan said such turbines had only been seen at sea before and were “monsters”.
    “It’s been planned for a long time back. You’ve got to get up and get angry,” he said.
    “It is going to railroaded through the people of the midlands unless we rise up.”
    Engineer Pat Swords, who is taking a case to the High Court in relation to the European Union’s attitude to renewable energy targets, said local people were entitled under the terms of the Aarhus convention to be consulted about the proposals."

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    a lot of apathy out there alright

the companies involved are being very clever by alienating the various people involved

the IFA also are being very shortsighted

Well at the moment (might change if wind developers start voting if they haven't already), the poll here shows that 45% of voters do not you welcome the announcement of plans to export wind energy to Britain?
    10% abstain
    http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-wind-e...67015-Jan2013/
    So that's a good start

I agree re the IFA, I wouldn't rely on the IFAs advice re signing a contract for my land (not that I would sign a contract with any wind developer)

I also wouldn't trust any research or testing into the harmful affects of windfarms

Most of those studies are funding by, or influenced by the wind power industry

I heard these windfarms are part of the terms of the multi-billion inter-governmental loan that the UK gave to Ireland a few years back to dig us out of a hole?

I also wouldn't trust any research or testing into the harmful affects of windfarms

Most of those studies are funding by, or influenced by the wind power industry

I heard these windfarms are part of the terms of the multi-billion inter-governmental loan that the UK gave to Ireland a few years back to dig us out of a hole?

You're spot on there - the energy barons have infiltrated many corners of the planet (that's big business for you) and you have to search out those truly independent research diamonds - they do exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Initially I would have said wind power was the way forward but reading various comments here and elsewhere from those opposed to the idea it seems it isn't just nimbi-ism but that there are genuine concerns and I now wouldn't be in quite such a hurry to support this industry.

Are there any merits to wind farms as an alternative power source?

Also, have any locations been suggested yet for these farms? I live close to a peat processing plant and suspect that as soon as their bog runs out of peat or the EU tells them to stop that the area will be designated suitable for wind turbines which may be a bit too close for comfort!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 27 paidinanthony

I think most people would agree that wind power has merits.However the sheer size of these turbines is alarming.If some one told me they were looking to erect a structure 184 metres high ,I would have said the were crazy to even apply for permission. This is exactly what these wind energy developers are planning and hundreds of them. Lots of land owners have already signed secret deals for turbines to be erected on their lands if planning goes ahead.Untill the planning application is lodged it is not certain the proposed sites.This will divide communities.Land owners are being very short sighted and seem to have little concern for their neighbours quality of life,health, or property values.All they see is quick euros and to hell with anyone who lives beside them.

Hermy wrote: »
    Also, have any locations been suggested yet for these farms? I live close to a peat processing plant and suspect that as soon as their bog runs out of peat or the EU tells them to stop that the area will be designated suitable for wind turbines which may be a bit too close for comfort!
    They'll go where they can find compliant landowners http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83607138&postcount=622
    Kildare, Meath, Westmeath, Offaly and Laois
    http://www.greenwire.ie/greenwire-pr...arm-locations/
    Don't know about Mainstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Chloe Pink wrote: »
    Well at the moment (might change if wind developers start voting if they haven't already), the poll here shows that 45% of voters do not you welcome the announcement of plans to export wind energy to Britain?
    10% abstain
    http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-wind-e...67015-Jan2013/
    So that's a good start

I agree re the IFA, I wouldn't rely on the IFAs advice re signing a contract for my land (not that I would sign a contract with any wind developer)

Where did you get the idea IFA were promoting wind turbines, nobody is being advised to sign up anyway. I'd say most members are against them

rancher wrote: »
    Where did you get the idea IFA were promoting wind turbines, nobody is being advised to sign up anyway. I'd say most members are against them

Here http://www.greenwire.ie/media/ireland/articles/ifa-and-element-agree-wind-farm-package/ unless Element Power (Greenwire) are abusing the IFA's name.

If people don't sign up, or don't sign up in sufficient numbers, the project can't go ahead.
    I do know some landowners (in relation to another project) who were told that thye might as well sign up as their land would be compulsory purchased anyway - complete bull and appalling that the developers tried such tactics.

• Advertisement

Chloe Pink wrote: »
    Here http://www.greenwire.ie/media/ireland/articles/ifa-and-element-agree-wind-farm-package/ unless Element Power (Greenwire) are abusing the IFA's name.

If people don't sign up, or don't sign up in sufficient numbers, the project can't go ahead.
    I do know some landowners (in relation to another project) who were told that thye might as well sign up as their land would be compulsory purchased anyway - complete bull and appalling that the developers tried such tactics.

I doubt if John bryan has the backing of all the members on that, I know that farmers signed up to a poor deal at the beginning and IFA got involved to try to improve the deal,
    I hear that some of the Gaybrook objectors have been approached to take a turbine, even a politician......interesting times ahead!!!

The IFA have been heavily backing this project

they see it as easy money for the farmers for the next 20 years
    especially those not living near where the turbines will be built

many of them have got totally different payments compared to others. some have signed for pitifully small sums
    you are not allowed divulge how much you get! breach of contract. And the contract is supposedly over 100 pages long!

landowners are being played off each other to get them to sign up eg 'sure both John and Tom down the road have signed up'
    then they go to John and say that 'arra sure Paul and Tom have signed up'

animals in close proximity to these huge structures do not put on weight compared to other sites due to stress
    the humming noise off the turbines will be insufferable.
    who will remove the concrete bases after the 20 years??
    where will any jobs come from?? the turbines will be built in China or Germany, and once built monitored from an office most likely in Dublin.
    the list goes on

I am not even living in an area where any turbines will be built

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

A meeting that was held in bloomfield before christmas also the two meetings that were held in Tullamore and Portlaoise by the IFA before christmas and also might i point out to you the IFA news section in the farmers journal were prominent members of the IFA had there pictures taken with members of both Mainstream and Greenwire directors.So how is that you say the IFA is not promoting windfarms when IFA members have been photographed with windfarm developers?

Marooned75 wrote: »
    A meeting that was held in bloomfield before christmas also the two meetings that were held in Tullamore and Portlaoise by the IFA before christmas and also might i point out to you the IFA news section in the farmers journal were prominent members of the IFA had there pictures taken with members of both Mainstream and Greenwire directors.So how is that you say the IFA is not promoting windfarms when IFA members have been photographed with windfarm developers?

Like I said before they had to help the farmers renegotiate the terms and conditions of the option agreement, the same as they negotiated the roads deal or do you think they were promoting destroying all those farms with motorways. I'm a member of IFA I certainly don't want them near me

animals in close proximity to these huge structures do not put on weight compared to other sites due to stress

Where's the study that makes this claim?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Like I said before they had to help the farmers renegotiate the terms and conditions of the option agreement, the same as they negotiated the roads deal or do you think they were promoting destroying all those farms with motorways. I'm a member of IFA I certainly don't want them near me
    When these firms tried to get farmers in England to sign the NFU told its members not to sign up yet our boys urge people to sign up to the best deal on your land you ll get.Has the IFA looked at the changes in taxation on farms ie.agricultural to commercial taxation,changes to planning for sons or daughters for houses basically signing over your land and its uses for up to 35 years and have no say in it.I have seen one of these contracts,you would need to be an expert in lease laws at over 1/2thick there is plenty in the small print to tie people in knots when they realise to late to what they signed.Advise I don't think so.

Hermy wrote: »
    Where's the study that makes this claim?

ask any farmer who has animals in the vicinity of them

When these firms tried to get farmers in England to sign the NFU told its members not to sign up yet our boys urge people to sign up to the best deal on your land you ll get.Has the IFA looked at the changes in taxation on farms ie.agricultural to commercial taxation,changes to planning for sons or daughters for houses basically signing over your land and its uses for up to 35 years and have no say in it.I have seen one of these contracts,you would need to be an expert in lease laws at over 1/2thick there is plenty in the small print to tie people in knots when they realise to late to what they signed.Advise I don't think so.

Farmers asked for help, especially those who had already signed, had they not responded, you'd be up here with a different criticism or more of your usual rubbish and lies, had you been at those meetings you would have heard farmers being warned of all the implications you have highlighted, you would have heard farmers being told to consult their solicitors and accountants, but instead you have to spew out this rubbish. You would have heard the top table say they were not for or against wind turbines, but of course you weren't there or you weren't listening

Farmers asked for help, especially those who had already signed, had they not responded, you'd be up here with a different criticism or more of your usual rubbish and lies, had you been at those meetings you would have heard farmers being warned of all the implications you have highlighted, you would have heard farmers being told to consult their solicitors and accountants, but instead you have to spew out this rubbish. You would have heard the top table say they were not for or against wind turbines, but of course you weren't there or you weren't listening
    Not for or against get a grip will ya if that was the case why are certain members of the IFA getting there photos taken with members of said companies and sign deals with them as per IFA news letter in the farmers journal.If that is what you call neither for or against them your vision of the truth is certainly far removed from reality.I was there and basically the top table could not have been more in favour of them.

Not for or against get a grip will ya if that was the case why are certain members of the IFA getting there photos taken with members of said companies and sign deals with them as per IFA news letter in the farmers journal.If that is what you call neither for or against them your vision of the truth is certainly far removed from reality.I was there and basically the top table could not have been more in favour of them.
    Wrong again, there was no deal sgned by IFA, they improved the terms of the option agreement and put it before the farmers and it was up to them whether they want to sign up to it.
    I'm sure I could find pictures from the journal of myself with the national roads authority, but it didn't mean I wanted the motorway through my farm.....in fact the opposite

• Advertisement

ask any farmer who has animals in the vicinity of them
    I'll need something better than this to convince me one way or the other.

By the way, was anyone at the public meeting in Rathowen last night?
    I wasn't able to attend and just wondered how it went?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Wrong again, there was no deal sgned by IFA, they improved the terms of the option agreement and put it before the farmers and it was up to them whether they want to sign up to it.
    I'm sure I could find pictures from the journal of myself with the national roads authority, but it didn't mean I wanted the motorway through my farm.....in fact the opposite
    Not wrong and you know it was at the meetings heard all what was said and by the way the NRA decisions were mostly by compulsory orders so how would you find pictures in the journal.What was the pictures of then in the journal of members with these companies after signing deals?A meet and greet your argument about putting to us farmers wether we wanted them or not does nt hold much water when these pictures appear of ye hob nobbing with these companies.If as you say ye are neither for or against them surely the correct course would be not to be seen with these companies in the intrests of balance.So as you say no deal was signed how does all this PR appear to you then?

"different criticism or more of your usual rubbish and lies," what a reply would not expect anythind less from you.I certainly didnt write rubbish or lies.

d and by the way the NRA decisions were mostly by compulsory orders so how would you find pictures in the journal.?

For your information

http://www.ifa.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=QZ4BLHfkeRI%3D&tabid=807

This deal was negotiated in 2001, the landowner involved could either avail of this deal or the original CPO terms, I can assure you 90% went with the IFA deal

For your information

http://www.ifa.ie/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=QZ4BLHfkeRI%3D&tabid=807

This deal was negotiated in 2001, the landowner involved could either avail of this deal or the original CPO terms, I can assure you 90% went with the IFA deal
    Fair enough.So can you put up the deal the IFA has signed with the wind energy companies.At least then it should clear up the confusion surrounding what is printed in the Farmers Journal.

Fair enough.So can you put up the deal the IFA has signed with the wind energy companies.At least then it should clear up the confusion surrounding what is printed in the Farmers Journal.
    No deal signed as far as i know, The original option agreement was heavily weighted in favour of the wind company, IFA got the farmers to stop signing up until the companies negotiated a fairer agreement, they then came back to the farmers with what was offered and it was left to the farmers themselves to decide if it was good enough and as far as I know, farmers still have the option to sign up to the original agreement or the improved one

farmers should be encouraged to farm by the IFA, not allow giant turbines be built on their land

Land, which they are only holding in trust before the next generation use it

Article in Irish Examiner:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...or-225867.html

Summary:
    'A group of families in a north Cork village are suing a wind farm operator in a landmark case; the seven families from Banteer claim they have been severely impacted, particularly through noise pollution, since the turbines began operating in Nov 2011.'

'The case in the UK of (Jane & Julian Davis) was settled out of court and included a confidentiality clause.'

'A couple living near Roscommon town were forced to leave their home because of the effect a nearby turbine was having on their health.'

"Last year, the Noise and Health journal published results from a US survey which compared sleeping patterns between a group living within a mile of a wind farm, and another beyond that distance.

The study suggested that the former group’s sleeping was directly impacted by the operation of the turbines. It is believed to be the first study to show a relationship between the wind farms and what the journal calls the “important clinical indicators of health, including sleep quality, daytime sleepiness, and mental health”.

"So far, no legislation has been passed in relation to wind turbines [in Ireland]."

"The guidelines are being reviewed by the Department of the Environment, which is expected to report in the coming months."

'Major development in the Midlands for 2,000 turbines has caused uproar in some quarters' with public meetings called across the Midlands by residents'

Also another turbine collapses in Maas, between the Co Donegal villages of Glenties and Ardara.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29151242.html
    "An investigation is under way after a €1.5m wind turbine collapsed during a storm just yards from a popular cycling route"

there's a fundraising table quiz for the windfarms group this evening in Bloomfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Greensleeves

The role of the IFA in the wind turbine saga is harshly criticized by Senator John Whelan in this article from the Sunday Independent (7 April 2013).

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/community-groups-whip-up-a-wind-farm-storm-29179102.html

Speaking to the Sunday Independent, Mr Whelan claimed "the IFA have abandoned rural communities with their unbridled backing for giant wind farms across large tracts of the West and the Midlands".

Advertisement