Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Tutorial;multiple games consoles on open NAT and set up bridge mode

• 08-03-2013 12:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I did not come up with this but after literally hundreds of phone calls to UPC they directed me to the premium support line and the guy told me this trick.

-
    Short Version
    Setup bridge mode and connect the consoles to the UPC router (wifi still works)
    Connect everything else to the new router.

-
    Step by step

1.Buy a new router it can pretty much be anything as long as it has a WAN port so the UPC router can connect to it.
    wan.jpg

other things to consider
    Depending on your speed you will probably want N wireless and Gigabit Lan ports. Make sure it has good wifi range and any other features you want but remember the new router wont affect the games consoles so it can be cheap or high end.

2.Disconnect every device from the UPC router and make sure nothing is set to automatically connect via wifi (DONT FORGET PHONES AND RARELY USED HANDHELD GAMES CONSOLES).

3.I now suggest holding in the reset button on the back of the UPC router for about 15 seconds and give it 5 minutes to boot back up..
    4. Turn on the new router and connect an ethernet cable from its Wan port to one of the UPC routers LAN ports.Then connect 1 pc to the UPC router with an ethernet cable.

5. On the pc open a web browser and go to 192.168.1.1 leave the login blank (unless you already set a password and didnt do step 3) go to administration and change router mode to bridge mode in the drop down menu then click apply to save the setting.

6. The device will begin to restart so immediately disconnect the pc,s ethernet cable but make sure you leave the new routers cable connected.

7.Setup your new routers wifi ETC (remember you connect your pc to the new router DONT connect anything to the UPC router besides the new router)

8. Ok so all your computers etc are setup to use your brand new shiny secondary router and your happy with it and proud of yourself...lets get to the xbox,s and PS3,S .. now for this example im going with 2 xbox 360,s cause thats what I use but PS3,s should also work the same.

I am using 2 xbox,s connected to my UPC router via wifi but if you want them wired then connect them via ethernet to the UPC router
    On the xbox set network config settings to automatic and test your connection
    If it doesnt connect first time dont have a heart attack it is requesting an IP address give it 1 minute and test again. If it doesnt work after a few tests turn off the UPC router and go again. Repeat for xbox 2.

They should both have open nats and work fantastically perfect
    I tested both my xboxs separately and at the same time both say open in COD/GOW and get host in GOW 2.

NOTES;

Why this works- You need more than 1 set of ports because both xbox,s send/receive through port 3074 etc UPC only supply 1 exterior IP address but bridge mode unlocks multiple IP addresses as extra routers need 1.So when bridge mode is on each device connected to the UPC router has its own exterior ip address and set of ports.

I only have this 2 days so dont know how many ip,s you get.. it might be 3 so 2 consoles and new router.. might be 50 I dont know.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You get 3 public IP addresses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

You get 3 public IP addresses.

thought it was 3 but hadnt fully checked it yet

There's nothing new here really, this is just bog standard bridge mode. The new router is still only using one IP address and port forwarding to each device. I'd say that it's just because the new router is better quality than the Cisco.

Karsini wrote: »
    There's nothing new here really, this is just bog standard bridge mode. The new router is still only using one IP address and port forwarding to each device. I'd say that it's just because the new router is better quality than the Cisco.

You didnt read it all

It is the cisco that gives both consoles open nat
    You can use any router as a secondary

This is completely about the upc router having a public ip for each console nothing to do with the new routers abilities.

Ah ok, I see what you mean now. It's not something I'd do, but I guess it works.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Ah ok, I see what you mean now. It's not something I'd do, but I guess it works.

well its just easier to get whatever router you want and know it definitely works.

Even if you get xbox certified routers which ive heard dont even work with UPC bridged they are all outdated.

Would this solution work if you have 3 or more xboxs?
    I have 3 and potentially getting a 4th. Kids cant access some of the multiplayer games.

Would this solution work if you have 3 or more xboxs?
    I have 3 and potentially getting a 4th. Kids cant access some of the multiplayer games.

If you connected 1 to the secondary router you could use 3

For 4 xbox,s you would require a router capable of running multiple xbox,s
    I hear the DIR-655 can but cant be sure as I have not tested

Advertisement