Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax and Broadcast charge combination

Options
  • 08-03-2013 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/broadcast-charge-to-hit-all-homes-even-those-with-no-tv-29096806.html

Communications Minister Pat Rabbitte confirmed in the Dail that it was his intention to get every household to pay the new broadcasting charge, even if they did not own a "device".
    The next letter people will be opening will be the broadcast charge for people who do not watch TV or have a computer. I do not understand why they do not combined the broadcast charge with the property tax under the same system. It will save on the cost of having TV inspectors and unnecessary letters and cost of producing them. It will be an unnecessary expense to have TV inspectors and a separate system since each household will have to pay that broadcast charge too and a separate legal department/system in punishment of those who fail to pay the broadcast charge and they probably be also punished by the Revenue for failing to pay the property Tax.

Change the whole TV licence system to have revenues collect it along with the property Tax. It will be the same people who can afford either Tax or charge and having separate expensive hearing and punishment in the Irish courts wasting more Tax payers money.

What view does people have on the Government ideas to reduce bureaucracy and costs to the Taxpayers and Charge payers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

why should a landlord pay for a tenants broadcasting charge ? thats what your essentially proposing.

Tenants are currently responsible for the tv licence if they are in a property, and whatever Rabbitte decides to do the status quo should remain in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

D3PO wrote: »
    why should a landlord pay for a tenants broadcasting charge ? thats what your essentially proposing.

Tenants are currently responsible for the tv licence if they are in a property, and whatever Rabbitte decides to do the status quo should remain in that regard.

Ireland is a welfare state. A significant portion of the population genuinely believe the landlord should cook them breakfast, cut the grass, buy them a television and at the end of the tenancy not be too bothered by the damage in the apartment.

Irish landlord = surrogate Irish mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

dissed doc wrote: »
    Ireland is a welfare state. A significant portion of the population genuinely believe the landlord should cook them breakfast, cut the grass, buy them a television and at the end of the tenancy not be too bothered by the damage in the apartment.

Its unreal. Was talking to a landlord I know last night. They got a call Saturday morning last week from a tenant. Leak coming into the sitting room.

Tenant proceded to say they think its coming from the apartment upstairs. Buts its ok they had put a bucket stopping the drops there the night before.

Landlord asked the tenant have you called upstairs to speak to the other tenant and see if something was left on. Tenant said no i thought you could call down and do it .... :eek:

I mean WTF

As it turns out the upstairs tenant ha left a tap on dripping and it overflowed and leaked downstairs.

Some people just have no cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

D3PO wrote: »
    Its unreal. Was talking to a landlord I know last night. They got a call Saturday morning last week from a tenant. Leak coming into the sitting room.

Tenant proceded to say they think its coming from the apartment upstairs. Buts its ok they had put a bucket stopping the drops there the night before.

Landlord asked the tenant have you called upstairs to speak to the other tenant and see if something was left on. Tenant said no i thought you could call down and do it .... :eek:

I mean WTF

As it turns out the upstairs tenant ha left a tap on dripping and it overflowed and leaked downstairs.

Some people just have no cop on.

True.

I think we should have a thread on positive LL/T relationships.
    I've never had a negative tenancy but we don't hear the positive stories. Only the complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

limklad wrote: »
    The next letter people will be opening will be the broadcast charge for people who do not watch TV or have a computer. I do not understand why they do not combined the broadcast charge with the property tax under the same system. It will save on the cost of having TV inspectors and unnecessary letters and cost of producing them. It will be an unnecessary expense to have TV inspectors and a separate system since each household will have to pay that broadcast charge too and a separate legal department/system in punishment of those who fail to pay the broadcast charge and they probably be also punished by the Revenue for failing to pay the property Tax.

Change the whole TV licence system to have revenues collect it along with the property Tax. It will be the same people who can afford either Tax or charge and having separate expensive hearing and punishment in the Irish courts wasting more Tax payers money.

What view does people have on the Government ideas to reduce bureaucracy and costs to the Taxpayers and Charge payers?

the gov will not get rid of the inspectors, imagne the unions take on it

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

dissed doc wrote: »

That is a lot to do with the culture of renting also. It's seen as a stop-gap to buying in this country.

I wish it was the standard to have unfurnished apartments and houses. I'd much prefer to buy my own quality stuff than the cheap cardboard crap most landlords buy (and then wonder why it doesn't last over a decade.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

That is a lot to do with the culture of renting also. It's seen as a stop-gap to buying in this country.

I wish it was the standard to have unfurnished apartments and houses. I'd much prefer to buy my own quality stuff than the cheap cardboard crap most landlords buy (and then wonder why it doesn't last over a decade.)
    Because tenents detroy good furniture. No much point in a pedosit if the damage they casue costs more.

OP

The simple answer is the household charge should be on the household not the LL. The tenent should pay both ;)

The tenant has always been responsible for the TV licence no matter who owned the TV.

All should pay it as it also regulates the frequencies that we all use i.e ambulance, air traffic control etc...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Because tenents detroy good furniture. No much point in a pedosit if the damage they casue costs more.

Not all tenants do. That's what I mean about being unfurnishished should be the norm.

I've had good landlords that are professional and know the rules, but there are an awful lot of amateurs that really have no business being a landlord. Some landlords forget their tenants are their customers.

Advertisement