Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country.

• 08-03-2013 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭

Revenue have began to bare their teeth,and issue a threat to every eligible homeowner on the island that 'they'll get you'.
    The Irish Times - Friday, March 8, 2013

Revenue to track down property tax evaders

ARTHUR BEESLEY, Political News Editor

Revenue has warned that it will deduct the property tax directly from the salary, pension or bank accounts of evaders who do not co-operate with the taxation authority.

“People can only judge for themselves Revenue’s record for pursuing people. We have a very extensive register. We have very extensive data. We will pursue. We’ve done it in the past,” said Revenue chairwoman Josephine Feehily.

Asked whether Revenue would be able to ferret out a landlord notionally named “Mick” who might seek to evade payment of the tax, Ms Feehily expressed confidence that such individuals will be tracked down.

Finding Mick

“We are compiling this data base from all Revenue sources – and stamp duty and property purchase records – so we will find Mick,” she said.

“We mightn’t find him in this output if he’s really too far under the radar but I assure you before the end of year we’ll have found Mick.”

Ms Feehily said she would be disappointed if Revenue did not achieve a compliance level of “several percentage points north of 80 per cent” by the end of the year.

Deferred payments

She was unable to provide any precise figure beyond the €250 million budget target for collection this year because Revenue did not know what proportion of owners would opt to defer payment.

Setting out how the new collection system will operate, Ms Feehily acknowledged yesterday that correspondence may be sent in error to some individuals as Revenue writes to the owners of some 1.66 million properties in the next four weeks. “This is a new tax. The first thing we have to do is deal with ordinary situations and get the ordinary situation managed and in the process before we worry about the outliers and then we’ll get to the outliers,” she told reporters at a briefing.

Revenue letters

“If a person gets a letter and they are not the owners, they should contact Revenue immediately to tell us who the owner is so that we can correct the register. If they don’t, we will continue to connect them to that property.”

The package sent to most property owners will include a personalised letter, a tax return form and an official guide to the new tax.

Revenue will set out in this correspondence an estimate for the tax due on the property in question. However, this is a general estimate only. The owner can displace the Revenue figure once the estimate self-assessed by the owner is based on an honest and realistic reflection of market value.

Revenue will tell property owners to consult its website – revenue.ie– which will provide access from next weekend to an online valuation guide which maps every area in the State.

The estimates in this guide will be set out according to the type of property, whether a detached or semi-detached house or apartment, for example, in each local electoral district and the date of construction.

The indicative valuations set out in this guide are based on information gleaned from the stamp duty paid on more than 34,000 property transactions in the past three years and advice from professional valuers and the National Asset Management Agency.

Let's hope there is anarchy on the streets!

I'll not be paying this, and if they forcibly take it from me, I'll have to resort to doing a lot of black market work to recoup it.

I own my house, I worked hard to provide it, payed all costs associated with building improvements to it, I have soley maintained it, and paid tens of thousands in stamp duty already on it.

In short, revenue can go and shíte. :mad:

I hope their are thousands beside me in the queue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

SamHall wrote: »
    R

Pull the other one, the last time i saw anarchy on the street's was due to Sorrentos' Take Away running out of curry sauce ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

sniggering behind your back more like it, i'm off to the pub to give out were it really matters :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

davet82 wrote: »
    sniggering behind your back more like it, i'm off to the pub to give out were it really matters :D

Drink one for me too.

Make it a double!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

thinly veiled "I have an expensive house" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Aw. I read the title as 'treat'. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Its quite funny how yesterday when she was on the radio she was saying how fast they will turn it all around

When I rang them 3 wks ago to tell them they owe me cash I had to send off email proof..when then takes 6-8 weeks to be seen and then further time to be acted upon

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Revenue issuing tax demands? How dare they!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With sensational and factually deficient thread titles like that OP, I see a big future for you with the Daily Mail, or even the Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

sfwcork wrote: »
    Its quite funny how yesterday when she was on the radio she was saying how fast they will turn it all around

When I rang them 3 wks ago to tell them they owe me cash I had to send off email proof..when then takes 6-8 weeks to be seen and then further time to be acted upon

they work very quckly when you owe them money

seamus wrote: »
    With sensational and factually deficient thread titles like that OP, I see a big future for you with the Daily Mail, or even the Indo.

Where?

• Advertisement

They actually work very quickly when they owe you money. Last two tax returns we were due a refund and I had the cheque in my hand in less than two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Revenue have began to bare their teeth,and issue a threat to every eligible homeowner on the island that 'they'll get you'.

I'll not be paying this, and if they forcibly take it from me, I'll have to resort to doing a lot of black market work to recoup it.

I own my house, I worked hard to provide it, payed all costs associated with building improvements to it, I have soley maintained it, and paid tens of thousands in stamp duty already on it.

Good to see there is plenty of work out there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

i think they have all the I,s dotted and T,s crossed on this one. but im right behind you on your thinking and hopefully someone out there will find a loophole to stall this .
    how about when revenue finally catch up with the houseowner [after repeated sending back letters "return to sender " ] that you appeal the decision of what revenue want you to pay [basic rights ] and when they reply saying you are not eligable for a deferment then appeal that aswell .
    if a hundred thousand homeowner done this then it would throw a spanner in the works ,and mess thing up .these forms they are sending out are still a information gathering excercise.
    stall and mess them about at every chance .

wrote:
    seamus
    They actually work very quickly when they owe you money. Last two tax returns we were due a refund and I had the cheque in my hand in less than two weeks.

you must be a very special boy so because with mine its going to take at least 2-3 months

I even asked a relation who is a mamaner with the revenue can she ensure that my email is moved up and she couldnt as the boys at the top have stopped it and every email has to be done by date

Good to see there is plenty of work out there for you.

There is thank goodness.

For which I pay many thousands in income tax, vat and prsi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

which island?

i hope it's achill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Where?
    They haven't threatened every homeowner on the island, just the ones who won't pay their tax in the republic, but that wouldn't make such a good headline.
    Much as I'd love to see it, I don't think they will be going after Willie Frazer for property tax.

i think they have all the I,s dotted and T,s crossed on this one. but im right behind you on your thinking and hopefully someone out there will find a loophole to stall this .
    how about when revenue finally catch up with the houseowner [after repeated sending back letters "return to sender " ] that you appeal the decision of what revenue want you to pay [basic rights ] and when they reply saying you are not eligable for a deferment then appeal that aswell .
    if a hundred thousand homeowner done this then it would throw a spanner in the works ,and mess thing up .these forms they are sending out are still a information gathering excercise.
    stall and mess them about at every chance .

You can look for a loophole here.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2012/10812/b10812d.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Since this is after hours i really should not be typing a serious reply.
    its a fair tax i.m.o., and lower so far than some other european countries, can be paid in bits and pieces and the REAL GEM is that if you really dont have the dough your house can owe the tax.
    listened to Josephine Fehilly on the PK Show, she was excellent, wonder are there many more like her in govt employ/

Regards,

p.s. in my home townthere are some "anarchists" who are anti house tax. THEY TRAVELLED TO dUBLIN TO ATTEND A RALLY TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO WITHOLD THE TAX. COSTING MONEY TO TRAVEL.
    WHY NOT JUST NOT PAY THEIR OWN TAX. OOPS CAPITALS

I can understand someone wanting to not pay a tax, but why on earth do they want to convince others to not pay it.!!

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    They haven't threatened every homeowner on the island, just the ones who won't pay their tax in the republic, but that wouldn't make such a good headline.
    Much as I'd love to see it, I don't think they will be going after Willie Frazer for property tax.

The threat is applicable to every eligible homeowner in Ireland.

That's like saying the speed limit on the m50 only applies to the people who break it.

• Advertisement

What threat?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You don't own a part of Ireland, you're effectively renting it. Why should you not have to pay rent for the bit of Ireland you're using if it ensures the most efficient use of the land?

How would you feel if 1 person bought half the property in the country and just left lying there doing nothing with it? Is that fair or should they be charged (via property tax) for this privilege? That's how if happens in every other EU country with the exception of Malta. That's without going into the free services you get from your local authority. If you want to take this uber-liberal attitude to property then pay for the roads outside your house, your water pipes, your street lighting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Gardai issue threat to every motorist in Ireland, to issue fines if they break the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Nobody will be threatening me.

I pay my taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If i was a PAYE worker i would drag it out to the end but no self employed person is stupid enough to open a can of worms with revenue over a small amount like this

There will soon be an opportunity for the people of East Meath to do something about this. One of the Trotskyite big noises in CAHWT is standing in the bye election. So if there is such a big opposition to the tax this will surely be reflected in the result.

Gardai issue threat to every motorist in Ireland, to issue fines if they break the speed limit.

The threat stands over every motorist though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

That's like saying the speed limit on the m50 only applies to the people who break it.
    No it's like saying the cops will go after everyone who breaks the speed limit. the first line clearly calls out the "evaders".
    Also much as some people would like, the revenue do not have jurisdiction over people in the Northern Ireland part of the island, so the title is, factually, incorrect.

The threat stands over every motorist though?

I know. It's outrageous isn't it? Let's start a thread about that as well.

• Advertisement

Yet they cant find a prosecute the 15% of houses evading the the TV license :pac:

Yet they cant find a prosecute the 15% of houses evading the the TV license :pac:

The Revenue don't collect that. And unpaid licence fees aren't a charge on the title of a house.

Im not paying my TV license.Have yet to do so

sfwcork wrote: »
    Im not paying my TV license.Have yet to do so

This is why the proposed Broadcasting Tax would be fairer. If it is collected by some system like the LPT evasion will be much more difficult and compliant people won't have to make up the shortfall caused by evasion. It is not a victimless crime.

the government cant even tell us where the broadcasting tax is going to

FFS the internet in this country is laughable.

This is why the proposed Broadcasting Tax would be fairer. If it is collected by some system like the LPT evasion will be much more difficult and compliant people won't have to make up the shortfall caused by evasion. It is not a victimless crime.

How you reckon it would be fairer is beyond me.

Hard to believe their are many in Ireland without a TV/radio in their homes.

I know a pensioner (relation of mine) whose daily news and entertainment come from the newspaper he buys each day. Or the farmers journal he gets from time to time.

Should he pay this broadcasting charge too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I awoke this morning to find someone had smashed the windows of my car, and kidnapped my cat, Bigglesworth. In the driver's seat of the car they had left a card with the initial RC printed on it, and a note saying, "Pay your taxes, or we'll break your legs with a golf club".

Is there no end to the absolute tyranny of this government?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

Where To wrote: »
    Nobody will be threatening me.

I pay my taxes.

dont you drive a taxi !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am sure their will be people comparing this to the council tax in England, my self included. When that was first launched, there was protests, and people refusing to pay as well. Now its pretty much normal, councils came down hard with persecutions if it was not paid up.

Be thankful though its not the exact same as it. Once you live in the house, you pay it, weather you live there as the owner, or as a tenent.

"Break the law and there will be consequences"

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE. HOW DARE THE GOVERNMENT THREATEN ME!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

dont you drive a taxi !
    Sorry I should rephrase then;

My customers will pay my taxes.:pac:

• Advertisement

"Break the law and there will be consequences"

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE. HOW DARE THE GOVERNMENT THREATEN ME!

This law is a sham law though.

It doesn't take stamp duty already paid into consideration, nor does it take individual circumstances/ability to pay into consideration.

It has the potential to turn many thousands of law abiding, tax compliant citizens into tax evading criminals, especially in people who are already struggling due to job loss or vast salary reductions.

I foresee FF (who, I'm by no means a fan of btw, but the most popular political party atm) scrapping this if they get into power again.

Let's face it, they'd do anything to be back in the driving seat again. They've already 'opposed' it, which probably helped to propel them in the opinion polls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Its legalised mugging. I wouldnt mind if they done away with the USC and it covered the water charge .

This law is a sham law though.
    In your opinion.

That doesn't make it any more of a "threat" than the "threat" than you will have your car taken for not paying motor tax or the "threat" that you will go to jail for selling drugs.

It's the law. You don't comply with the law, there are consequences. That's not a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It has the potential to turn many thousands of law abiding, tax compliant citizens into tax evading criminals, especially in people who are already struggling due to job loss or vast salary reductions.

Don't assume that everyone else will turn to crime just because you're already planning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

"The revolution is coming" - Deputy Joe Higgins

In your opinion.

Which is shared by many, many thousands.

That doesn't make it any more of a "threat" than the "threat" than you will have your car taken for not paying motor tax or the "threat" that you will go to jail for selling drugs.

It's the law. You don't comply with the law, there are consequences.
    That's not a threat.

Until the next party, wishing to get into govt promise to scrap both the tax, and penalties associated with it.

I'll hold out, thanks very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

times coming...even if some of the 450.000 unemployed storm the dail and oust these cnuts then demand that we have a gov from brussells run us temporarily at top salary of 45.000 thou ..gets rid of the leeches in gov.that we dont need who are killing the country ..

Until the next party, wishing to get into govt promise to scrap both the tax, and penalties associated with it.

You'll be waiting. There is nobody at the moment who will scrap the property tax if they get elected. They'll see the financial figures and quietly just leave the property tax there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Which is shared by many, many thousands.

How does that work if they take the money at source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The next parties can promise all they want to remove them, when they see how much it brings in, do you honestly think they'll think, "D'ya know, we don't need all this money to pay back bills."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement