Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Apart from the DDI guy the people of East Meath will also have a CAHWT candidate to vote for in the guise of the Workers Party candidate. So we will see how they get on.

http://www.workerspartyireland.net/id809.html

To answer previous speculation about my political connections, I have none. And I never voted number 1 for any Fine Gael candidate in any election. AH opinion is actually very biased towards Sinn Fein but I would never claim that their volunteers posting on these threads are being paid by the party.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=21357

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MadsL
    Exiled

Adverts | Friends
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bullseye1
    How is my bolded quote attributing blame for our problems on those who rented? It is commentary on people who continuously blame those who have bought for the problem by those who did not buy. Maybe you should read it again.

Perhaps you can explain to me how those who did not buy are at fault? If you are complaining that those attribute the fault to those whose bought, then they must also be at fault, please explain how they contributed.

This does not make any kind of sense.
    You are blaming people for buying houses to live in. People need houses to live in. Not everyone can rent because there would not have been enough
    houses and they would have been at the mercy of owners who set the rent.

The developers, bankers and government set the trend by deciding prices, interest rates, stamp duty etc. That had nothing to do with the buyers who were at their mercy and who were bombarded with offers particularly from the bankers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

You are blaming people for buying houses to live in. People need houses to live in. Not everyone can rent because there would not have been enough houses and they would have been at the mercy of owners who set the rent.

I'm not blaming people for buying houses, I'm taking issue with those who whinge about being able to afford a property tax when they own a house, and usually negative equity is trotted out too. I guess as well as not seeing the crash, they also didn't see the inevitability of property taxes in Ireland.
    The developers, bankers and government set the trend by deciding prices, interest rates, stamp duty etc. That had nothing to do with the buyers who were at their mercy and who were bombarded with offers particularly from the bankers.

I have been bombarded with cash 4 gold offers, at the 'mercy' of their rates. I'd be an idiot to sell it though at those rates.

No-one was at the mercy of anyone when buying property, they simply bought into the hype and failed to do a simple calculation about the true value of property.

MadsL wrote: »
    I'm not blaming people for buying houses, I'm taking issue with those who whinge about being able to afford a property tax when they own a house, and usually negative equity is trotted out too. I guess as well as not seeing the crash, they also didn't see the inevitability of property taxes in Ireland.

I have been bombarded with cash 4 gold offers, at the 'mercy' of their rates. I'd be an idiot to sell it though at those rates.

No-one was at the mercy of anyone when buying property, they simply bought into the hype and failed to do a simple calculation about the true value of property.

I was bombarded with offers of additions and top-ups to my mortgage, money to build extensions, car loans etc. I could paper a wall with them. The old "money will never be this cheap again" argument was constantly spouted by these people. The Government played a big part in it too.
    I didn't bite but I can see how many less shrewd people did. Remember the 100% loans?
    These people brainwashed young couples and remind me of the Moonies.

Whether you took up their offers or not you would end up paying anyway as the burden after the crash fell on the same people. Your money either contributed to the Banks then or you ended up bailing them out later anyway.
    The very same people.

Now they are being asked, sorry told, yet again to pay up with these new taxes. Nothing changes in Ireland.

I was bombarded with offers of additions and top-ups to my mortgage, money to build extensions, car loans etc. I could paper a wall with them. The old "money will never be this cheap again" argument was constantly spouted by these people. The Government played a big part in it too.
    I didn't bite but I can see how many less shrewd people did. Remember the 100% loans?
    These people brainwashed young couples and remind me of the Moonies.

Whether you took up their offers or not you would end up paying anyway as the burden after the crash fell on the same people. Your money either contributed to the Banks then or you ended up bailing them out later anyway.
    The very same people.

No-one was forced to take out a mortgage. Not one person.
    Now they are being asked, sorry told, yet again to pay up with these new taxes. Nothing changes in Ireland.

What have you done to try to bring change? Did you attempt to stop the bank guarantee? Did you email TDs? Protest on the streets?

Bit late to be complaining now, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

What Tayto said.

As the govt say though, that inherited the whole thing from the last govt, and that 'they're merely cleaning up their mess'

What they continually forget to mention though, is that they stood on the sidelines, complaining that FF/greens etc weren't spending enough!

To sum it up, if they'd have been in power during the boom, its likely a bigger mess we'd now be in.

For the record, I hold both parties in equal contempt, and am looking forward to a representative from either party to call to my front door.

Just a quick aside to note that...
    SamHall wrote:
    Vote for Ben Gilroy in the east Meath buy election.

Ben seems to have let his Freeman peddling website domain lapse.

www.peopleforeconomicjustice.com

Expired yesterday. Not the sharpest tool in the shed then.

No-one was forced to take out a mortgage. Not one person.

What have you done to try to bring change? Did you attempt to stop the bank guarantee? Did you email TDs? Protest on the streets?

I have explained how I feel about the whole sorry mess.
    I did indeed protest locally and through e-mail. I attended protests too.
    It is never too late to complain and I will continue to complain on my own behalf, my children's behalf and my grandchildren's behalf none of whom took part in the ruination of the country but who will be expected to pay the 56k that each of them apparently owe for the doings of the people you seem to be standing up for.

You come across to me as being a bit arrogant, sorry if i'm wrong.

Just a quick aside to note that...

Ben seems to have let his Freeman peddling website domain lapse.

www.peopleforeconomicjustice.com

Expired yesterday. Not the sharpest tool in the shed then.

Maybe he missed a payment and the HP company took it back?

Where did you get the link posted? How is that site connected to him?

SamHall wrote: »
    Maybe he missed a payment and the HP company took it back?

Where did you get the link posted? How is that site connected to him?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9uHKCyUNJuAJ:https://peopleforeconomicjustice.com/+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

As I suspected, even though you live there (some weird right to have an opinion based on your address in your view) and have listed a whole bunch of grievances - you actually haven't even sent one email to try and change things have you?? And yet you expect change. :(

Do you intend ever coming back?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Do you intend ever coming back?

What has that to do with anything? However, I don't particularly want to come back and pay off a debt I had no hand in creating.

All you seem to have done is run away crying its not your fault.

Posting to yourself, is a sign of madness

All you seem to have done is run away crying its not your fault.

Run away? Are you having a laugh, do you think leaving a teenage daughter behind was a decision taken lightly. My wife spent 18 months and made over 500 job applications, we would have gone broke had we stayed. I only trust that I can get her a US passport and a better life than paying off the previous generations fuckups.

Posting to yourself, is a sign of madness

Cheap shot, poor effort.

Run away? Are you having a laugh, do you think leaving a teenage daughter behind was a decision taken lightly. My wife spent 18 months and made over 500 job applications, we would have gone broke had we stayed. I only trust that I can get her a US passport and a better life than paying off the previous generations fuckups.

Cheap shot, poor effort.

You are the one blaming everyone else. Simple as that. Plenty who bought homes are not to blame. And are still here.

You come across to me as being a bit arrogant, sorry if i'm wrong.

I dont think you are. We bought a home, so it is all our fault he had to leave.

You are the one blaming everyone else. Simple as that. Plenty who bought homes are not to blame. And are still here.
    I dont think you are. We bought a home, so it is all our fault he had to leave.

The property bubble caused the crash to be much worse in Ireland, are you suggesting that people who bought during the boom at unaffordable, unrealistic prices, who are now facing repossession did not contribute to the mess?

That your stance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Apart from the DDI guy the people of East Meath will also have a CAHWT candidate to vote for in the guise of the Workers Party candidate. So we will see how they get on.

http://www.workerspartyireland.net/id809.html

To answer previous speculation about my political connections, I have none. And I never voted number 1 for any Fine Gael candidate in any election. AH opinion is actually very biased towards Sinn Fein but I would never claim that their volunteers posting on these threads are being paid by the party.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=21357

The upcoming bye election in meath it remains to be seen whether we will see a vote against current government policy or a vote for sympathy in voting for helen mcentee-the youtube video promoting her as the fine gael canditate she mentions her father more then anything else-she might as well have said in honour of my fathers memory vote for me which is very cynical and manipulative-one recent week in politics show when discussing the meath bye election helen was mentioned most more so then any other canditate.

The property bubble caused the crash to be much worse in Ireland, are you suggesting that people who bought during the boom at unaffordable, unrealistic prices, who are now facing repossession did not contribute to the mess?

That your stance?

My stance is, there are plenty not to blame in this, not just you. Most dont seem to have a large chip on their shoulder, probably to an anger level, against people who payed to much for homes.

Since you ask this type of question so often, what did you do to save the country from individuals buying an over priced home?

Did you try to advise the government, who clearly could have done something? Or did you do as you are doing now, nothing except point the finger at everyone else?

Or is it only in hindsight that you realise that paying to much for something would cause you to need to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

you'd need a tractor to get me off her. Not an ould massey on its last legs but a brand new John Deere on tracks.

That your stance?

What was affordable to a couple, pre boom, on combined decent salary, may now not be affordable due to job loss/salary reductions.

You left Ireland die to your job loss, and 'not wanting to pay back the debts of others'

Yet, you support a property tax, 'apparently demanded' by the troika (though they say otherwise) which will go towards paying back the cost of the bailout?

You sir, are a hypocrite.

You need to either get the head examined, or get some salt/vinegar to put on that chip on the shoulder.;)

I suspect you're simply winding folk up in this thread though. Might as well come out and say it.

Kichote wrote: »
    you'd need a tractor to get me off her. Not an ould massey on its last legs but a brand new John Deere on tracks.

Wut?

Wut?

A few to many there id say:)

Am Chile wrote: »
    The upcoming bye election in meath it remains to be seen whether we will see a vote against current government policy or a vote for sympathy in voting for helen mcentee-the youtube video promoting her as the fine gael canditate she mentions her father more then anything else-she might as well have said in honour of my fathers memory vote for me which is very cynical and manipulative-one recent week in politics show when discussing the meath bye election helen was mentioned most more so then any other canditate.

Very poor candidate. Poor speaker too.

What was affordable to a couple, pre boom, on combined decent salary, may now not be affordable due to job loss/salary reductions.

Did the word stress-test mean anything at the time? I personally warned two people now in massive NE not to buy. Laughed at.
    You left Ireland die to your job loss, and 'not wanting to pay back the debts of others'

Yet, you support a property tax, 'apparently demanded' by the troika (though they say otherwise) which will go towards paying back the cost of the bailout?
    It is not my debt, I didn't participate in the property speculation.

It seems entirely apt that some extra portion of the payback fall on those who thought the only way was up. The fact that those self-same people now cannot emigrate and escape that debt as they are in NE is ironic don't you think.
    You sir, are a hypocrite.
    Who should pay this debt? The next generation? A smug tax on those who rented?
    You need to either get the head examined, or get some salt/vinegar to put on that chip on the shoulder.;)
    You can insult me, doesn't change the fact that those who indulged are now paying a additional price for it. That seems fair to me. I have paid my personal price, and it probably cost us 20 years worth of this tax to emigrate. Think I should pay more?
    I suspect you're simply winding folk up in this thread though. Might as well come out and say it.

If home (pun intended) truths upset you, you should stop asking questions.

• Advertisement

admit it though, you wouldnt turn down a tear off her. I hope she doesnt get in for her own sake, so many female politicians turn into bitter ould risk averse 'think of the children' authoritarians

Am Chile wrote: »

Not ten words out of her mouth before "father" was mentioned.

Did the word stress-test mean anything at the time? I personally warned two people now in massive NE not to buy. Laughed at.

It is not my debt, I didn't participate in the property speculation.

It seems entirely apt that some extra portion of the payback fall on those who thought the only way was up. The fact that those self-same people now cannot emigrate and escape that debt as they are in NE is ironic don't you think.

Who should pay this debt? The next generation? A smug tax on those who rented?

You can insult me, doesn't change the fact that those who indulged are now paying a additional price for it. That seems fair to me. I have paid my personal price, and it probably cost us 20 years worth of this tax to emigrate. Think I should pay more?

If home (pun intended) truths upset you, you should stop asking questions.

Yawn, pile of horse manure in fairness.

What about the folk who didn't purchase property either in the boom, or at all?

Struggling family, in the family home, been there years now.

They'll have to pay this tax, they contributed to the boom too I suppose?

Hope America is good to you btw.

Yawn, pile of horse manure in fairness.

What about the folk who didn't purchase property either in the boom, or at all?

Struggling family, in the family home, been there years now.

Been there years you say, so mortgage-free eh?
    They'll have to pay this tax, they contributed to the boom too I suppose?

Sell up and rent if it is that onerous. However, I wonder if we should get a grip about a €30 a month tax on someone who owns the house outright or with a small mortgage. Unless of course the new kitchen, decking, hot tub and new car got added to the mortgage.
    Hope America is good to you btw.

It is. Shocking property taxes though, $2500 this year, and would be $5,000 if we lived in the next county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It is. Shocking property taxes though, $2500 this year, and would be $5,000 if we lived in the next county.

Now tell me what you get for that.......... and the standard rate of income tax over there.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Now tell me what you get for that.......... and the standard rate of income tax over there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States#Federal_income_tax_rates

Roughly 25% Federal Income Tax
    Plus local State Payroll taxes; Wage base is $22,400 for 2012 and $22,900 for 2013. Rates range from 0.06% to 5.40%.
    Plus Property Taxes. $600-$ lots

Been there years you say, so mortgage-free eh?

Sell up and rent if it is that onerous. However, I wonder if we should get a grip about a 30 a month tax on someone who owns the house outright or with a small mortgage. Unless of course the new kitchen, decking, hot tub and new car got added to the mortgage.

Great as long as you can stay employed, such a punitive level of property tax is sure to keep the plebs and poor people away. Otherwise, good luck trying to pay 2,500 a year out of your non existent dole

Great as long as you can stay employed, such a punitive level of property tax is sure to keep the plebs and poor people away.
    Actually the police department we pay for out of those taxes keep the more violent plebs away.

Should I mention however the fact that Americans will not stand being dicked around by the banks so mortgages are fixed for 30 years at the prevailing interest rate, so today you know what your repayments will be in 29 and 11 months time.

Otherwise, good luck trying to pay 2,500 a year out of your non existent dole
    Ireland's property taxes and welfare safety net now looking more appealing to you I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States#Federal_income_tax_rates

Roughly 25% Federal Income Tax
    Plus local State Payroll taxes; Wage base is $22,400 for 2012 and $22,900 for 2013. Rates range from 0.06% to 5.40%.
    Plus Property Taxes. $600-$ lots

Madsl.

Two things.

One is that your property taxes in the US go to things like schools and public parks and services. Not a black hole in the banks.

Secondly, if you don't like the taxes you are paying you can move to a cheaper district.

Hell if you dont like the state taxes you are paying you can even move to a state that doesn't have state taxes.

And the Irish are paying E 1. 62 per litre at the pump.

Neither of these things apply to Ireland.

Madsl.

Two things.

One is that your property taxes in the US go to things like schools and public parks and services. Not a black hole in the banks.

Wait. I thought this was a Local Property Tax.
    Secondly, if you don't like the taxes you are paying you can move to a cheaper district.

Hell if you dont like the state taxes you are paying you can even move to a state that doesn't have state taxes.

So can you. A cheaper EU state, or here, or Oz.

My nearest big city apart from the one I live in is an hour away. The next ones are 400 miles plus. Last year i made a 1000 mile round trip to pick someone up at an airport.

Factor in distances driven and you get a very similar rate.

Actually they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Got a builder calling? Ask him for a cash rate.
    Mechanic? Same thing.
    If you're close enough proximity to the north, do any possible purchasing there you can, lower vat rate, and lower excise duties on most products.
    If you're not a paye worker, simply skim the value of the property tax off your declarations to revenue.
    Do a few jobs that pay cash yourself also.
    I supposedly live in a free country, but when govt instruct revenue to dip into my pocket and forcibly take my hard earned cash to repay debts that are not, were not, and never were mine, well then I'll find ways to recoup that money, they can bet their houses on that one.
    More than one way to skin a cat don't you know.
    You sir, are a hypocrite.You need to either get the head examined, or get some salt/vinegar to put on that chip on the shoulder.;)
    I truly despair when you call someone a hypocrite who happens to very articulately disagree with your point of view, and what's more Sam, you and the other schemers, see nothing wrong with this and spend endless days and hours scheming, plotting and inciting further tax evasion as per your post #290 above, on top of inciting mass non compliance, for a tax that IMO should have been introduced way back.

Where are all these mouthy citizens of the community when it comes to supporting local community and environmental affairs, or keeping an eye on dodgy planning irregularities and/or sub standard housing developments in their towns? I know I stand, and have stood alone in my town.

Wait. I thought this was a Local Property Tax.

So can you. A cheaper EU state, or here, or Oz.

My nearest big city apart from the one I live in is an hour away. The next ones are 400 miles plus. Last year i made a 1000 mile round trip to pick someone up at an airport.

Actually they do.

Madls,

You are not paying anywhere near 1.62 a litre at the pump. FActor in distances? What the hell? Nonsense.

Secondly your property taxes are paying for schools and public services, not so in Ireland.

Thirdly the property taxes in Ireland are an adhoc guessing game mess.

And yes people are moving to cheaper places to live, dont blame them and this will be another reason to leave. Last one out turn off the lights.

Madsl.

Two things.

It's actually going to pay for Child Benefit. So the black hole filling material will have to be got from elsewhere.

It's actually going to pay for Child Benefit. So the black hole filling material will have to be got from elsewhere.

They couldnt just phase out child benefit? It seems silly to collect it every week and then pay it back to them

Good news for all the people that put Fianna Fail in power before. They're defintely on the way back. And Labour are down to 9%. Soon no more Property Tax wohooo.

http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.301.344/7007/0/

• Advertisement

Actually the police department we pay for out of those taxes keep the more violent plebs away.

Should I mention however the fact that Americans will not stand being dicked around by the banks so mortgages are fixed for 30 years at the prevailing interest rate, so today you know what your repayments will be in 29 and 11 months time.

Ireland's property taxes and welfare safety net now looking more appealing to you I see.

Out the frying pan into the fire. They held off the european banker elite for only a few centuries but eventually they got their way and America is now at the mercy of the banks and fractional reserve lending and a massive national debt. You might know your repayments in 29 years time but feck it the banks are running the show there. Isnt America where the 'too big to fail' phrase came from?

FG+Lab got complacent when they started their austerity campaign and broke their promises, not realising there are hordes of people who might have voted FG because they were angry at FF but will use any excuse to return to the familiar FF teat and vote like their fathers. "Ah sure they're all the same, might as well vote FF to keep the father happy"

Madls,

You are not paying anywhere near 1.62 a litre at the pump. FActor in distances? What the hell? Nonsense.

When was the last time you drove 1000 miles on a road trip? You run out of land after 200! Gas prices have to be low, the US could not sustain EU prices.

Out the frying pan into the fire. They held off the european banker elite for only a few centuries but eventually they got their way and America is now at the mercy of the banks and fractional reserve lending and a massive national debt. You might know your repayments in 29 years time but feck it the banks are running the show there. Isnt America where the 'too big to fail' phrase came from?

Each of the 50 states can decide to levy taxes on private property and at present all 50 have it. There are lots of CAHWT and Freeman type campaigns against it but none have succeeded in abolition.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/North-Dakota-property-vote/2012/06/13/id/442155

Too big to fail must be correct since the term has been around for decades. Anyway their national debt is only mickey mouse compared to ours.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

When was the last time you drove 1000 miles on a road trip? You run out of land after 200! Gas prices have to be low, the US could not sustain EU prices.

I would hate to think what it would cost me to drive 1000 miles in Ireland.

The point is the disparity in what it costs a one hour trip to work in the morning for people in the US vs Ireland.

I am suprised to hear someone forced to emigrate defending the actions of this country which will force even more people to emigrate.

Right now their ad hoc chaotic taxes are all around 100-200 a year, but I suspect taht is just to get people to register, so they can get information like a doomsday book. Give it a few years and you will see serious taxes, but will see you improvements in education and public parks and services. NYET!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

What Tayto said.

As the govt say though, that inherited the whole thing from the last govt, and that 'they're merely cleaning up their mess'

What they continually forget to mention though, is that they stood on the sidelines, complaining that FF/greens etc weren't spending enough!

To sum it up, if they'd have been in power during the boom, its likely a bigger mess we'd now be in.

For the record, I hold both parties in equal contempt, and am looking forward to a representative from either party to call to my front door.

Afraid you’ll be a long time waiting for them to come to your front door. At best you may get some silly leaflets pushed through the letterbox as the poor buggers hurry to get out of site before they get hounded once again.

There will be no anarchy and normal service will resume, except of course for the people who lose their homes, who have to decide between buying food or fuel etc. A General Election will come and Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Labour and The Greens will blame each other for the mess, make beautiful promises about how they are going to fix it all and everything will be rosy in the garden. Some poor souls will actually believe the lies and bull***t and others won’t but will probably vote for them anyway, rationalising that there is no credible alternative.

A week later the boys will be back in the Dail bar without a political argument in site. They will raise their glasses of subsidised drink to salute each other and sit back in the soft seats while they have a good laugh at the expense of the idiots who once again fell for the load of horse manure, as they always do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Ah come on now – she’s a lot better looking than Boring Enda or Horrible Hogan.

I never heard the girl speaking but if we have to put a bunch of losers into the big place in Kildare Street, could we not at least choose them according to looks rather than speaking ability. I think they have gone some way down this road already in Italy.

: And the Irish are paying E 1. 62 per litre at the pump.

Lol tbh.

I'm curious madsl, this job you left/lost in Ireland....

Were you a goalpost shifter by Any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

So you bought? Or are you renting and paying a property tax?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Your past time appears to consist of writing and complaining along with whining.

Freeman mumbo jumbo. Debunked over and over.

Thousands of expats will love you for that, but then you lose your right to vote even leaving for your holiday. Astonishingly the Irish people accept it.

I'm sure you will feel the same when you too emigrate. :rolleyes:

What have you done about it?

Post up a copy of the email you wrote to the Minister about it.

You mean you were operating under the incorrect tax basis?

Did you complain to RTE? Post up the email you sent.

On the contrary, I am very aware of such things, and even from here have been pointing out such things as DCC's waste of money, and more importantly actually DOING something about it rather than objecting to someone's location on an internet forum. Here is an example of ACTION rather than the usual passivity when it comes to small yet wasteful issues in Ireland.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056878726

Why on earth would I do that? Try not to let your hatred for those of us forced to emigrate blind make you paranoid.

A hire purchase agreement is the motor equivalent of a mortgage, renting a car is different.
    You just proved my point.
    You pay the motor tax when you take a HP agreement and purchase the vehicle, just like a mortgage and the Property Tax. You do not pay motor tax when hiring for the day, week etc - just like renting a house.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement