Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

MadsL wrote: »
    When was the last time you drove 1000 miles on a road trip? You run out of land after 200!

79,000 miles on my car, and not once have I drove into the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A common misunderstanding is that in other countries their local and property taxes pay for all local services. Taking England as an example (and they have separate charges for water and sewerage) the Council Tax only pays for 25% of services. The rest comes from commercial rates and central government grants.

http://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/guides/council-tax/understanding-council-tax/

Our new set up will be roughly similar.

Lots of people unhappy in England, listen from 1 min for about 6 mins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r91qr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's actually going to pay for Child Benefit. So the black hole filling material will have to be got from elsewhere.

bet he's not paying a USC or a PRSI which gets you absolutely zilch.

Good news for all the people that put Fianna Fail in power before. They're defintely on the way back. And Labour are down to 9%. Soon no more Property Tax wohooo.

http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.301.344/7007/0/

Fine Gael's Property Tax is the cause of that as right.
    Imagine being lower than that shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Big Bottom

Ha ha, fools who bought realy expensive houses to impress others are now feeling the squeeze and rightly so!

• Advertisement

Am I the only poster who thinks that MadsL is not abroad at all.
    I think he's right here in Ireland and follows a party in power.
    We have quite a few of them on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I thought he was a bloke alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

I don’t know how to break this to you and I promised not to tell but ….

He’s is really here in Ireland and is Phil Hogan’s mammy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

SamHall wrote: »
    Revenue have began to bare their teeth,and issue a threat to every eligible homeowner on the island that 'they'll get you'.

Let's hope there is anarchy on the streets!

I think the fact that they know there wont be anarchy in the streets is one of the reasons they keep screwing us with more taxes and charges

solas111 wrote: »
    I don’t know how to break this to you and I promised not to tell but ….

He’s is really here in Ireland and is Phil Hogan’s mammy.

No I don't think he has as much "power" as Phil's mammy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Do you think your man is going to win in East Meath?

http://directdemocracyireland.ie/author/ben/[/QUOTE]

I would dearly love to see him win, and I think it would a good start for the country to try and get back to some semblance of normality, however I am a long time around and quite honestly, we still have not got away from dynasty politics in this country, whether the vote may be either a vote to keep a seat in ones family, just for the sake of continuing the family business, or purely a sympathy vote, on which I would nearly bet the farm that that is what the government is banking on.

Hopefully not. He supports Sean Quinn and has links to UKIP.

And this is a bad thing, why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Well that slander is easily dealt with.

Pow! Right in the yesterdays paper with your post in the background, and right hook of that paper with the rather cloudy view of the mountains. Looks like we may have rain at last. That look like Ireland to you?
    http://imgur.com/a/1XiQ0

darkhorse wrote: »
    And this is a bad thing, why?

*cough* please, I have to wipe my screen now.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Your past time appears to consist of writing and complaining along with whining.

Yes. I try and get things done or at least brought to public light. They may not be big things, although I am quite proud of this one.

You posted a massive list of things you are aggrieved about, but you can't really be bothered to find out who is responsible and write them a simple email.

Apathy, the Irish disease. Worse, the unending tearing down of anyone who stands up and trys to change things, and I admit I am harsh on those who try to simply mislead others (like that spoofer Ben Gilroy or Ming) - You will never change Ireland unless you actually stand up and stop accepting everyting thrown at you.

Now the reason I support this tax is because it generally affects those who played the property gamble and because it is not a poll tax, which I opposed and refused under Thatcher. It also leaves renters alone which sits with how the crash played out.

It isn't perfect, but I'd like to hear alternatives from those opposed.

Now just to clear up the doubts, I bought in the US, mortgage fixed for 30 years, property taxes $2500 a year. I bought because values were very depressed but starting to rise and renting here is way overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Well that slander is easily dealt with.

Pow! Right in the yesterdays paper with your post in the background, and right hook of that paper with the rather cloudy view of the mountains. Looks like we may have rain at last. That look like Ireland to you?
    http://imgur.com/a/1XiQ0

Its Mr White.

How's Jessie?

SamHall wrote: »
    Its Mr White.

How's Jessie?

Oh wow, is Breaking Bad filmed here, I never knew. :rolleyes:

How's the leprechauns these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Yes. I try and get things done or at least brought to public light. They may not be big things, although I am quite proud of this one.

You posted a massive list of things you are aggrieved about, but you can't really be bothered to find out who is responsible and write them a simple email.

Apathy, the Irish disease. Worse, the unending tearing down of anyone who stands up and trys to change things, and I admit I am harsh on those who try to simply mislead others (like that spoofer Ben Gilroy or Ming) - You will never change Ireland unless you actually stand up and stop accepting everyting thrown at you.

Now the reason I support this tax is because it generally affects those who played the property gamble and because it is not a poll tax, which I opposed and refused under Thatcher. It also leaves renters alone which sits with how the crash played out.

It isn't perfect, but I'd like to hear alternatives from those opposed.

Now just to clear up the doubts, I bought in the US, mortgage fixed for 30 years, property taxes $2500 a year. I bought because values were very depressed but starting to rise and renting here is way overpriced.

Ireland has too many double taxes and no accountability for them. The tax money is going into a blackhole, plus people are paying all sorts of other taxes, usc and prsi, crazy taxes at the pump, motor tax, school, water tax, poop tax, school uniforms and voluntary contributions. Next there will be savings tax, child maintenance tax, spousal maintenance tax, elevated court fees, you name it.

Take the plastic bag tax. Do any of us know where that revenue goes to?

I agree with everything else you said though. But it's hard to change anything here. It's climbing an ice mountain.

And by the way, I'm not a homeowner. I never believed in the crap they were selling for half a million and knew it was a scam. That doesn't mean I also don't smell another scam brewing.

Take the plastic bag tax. Do any of us know where that revenue goes to?.

Yes, we do.
    they are ring fenced into an environment fund operated by the
    Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, to be used for
    defraying the costs of administration of the levy and the support and promotion of a variety of environmental programs.

The plastic bag tax is one of the most popularly supported taxes in Europe.

The most popular tax in Europe? Lessons from the Irish plastic bags levy

And if you think Irish taxes are bad, US taxes are so complex it is next to impossible to complete your own tax return, you have to have a tax accountant do it, even if you work a PAYE job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You honestly believe that taxes are ring fenced? LOL.

Again with assumptions posters have done nothing to challenge the establishment.

Since you are now a home owner best of luck. You will see that it wasn't an evil decision than many on here believe it to be.

• Advertisement

Very poor candidate. Poor speaker too.

Yeah, your right. She's perfect for FG.

Again with assumptions posters have done nothing to challenge the establishment.

I've offered you an opportunity to explain what you have done, but that appears to not spur you to share.

You posted a long list of things that piss you off, do yourself a favour, and the nation, and write at least one email of complaint. Let us know how you get on.

The problem Madsl is the people who have the get up and go to write emails and be persistent with the inevitable blockades you are met with etc, literaly do - get up and go - to the US, the UK, Australia and Canada.

That is why nothing will ever change here.

I've offered you an opportunity to explain what you have done, but that appears to not spur you to share.

You posted a long list of things that piss you off, do yourself a favour, and the nation, and write at least one email of complaint. Let us know how you get on.

Again with assumptions that emails or letters have not been written. Why in gods name would anyone reproduce their emails on here? You have heard of private and confidential and the concept of diplomacy? Look how that worked out for auld Ming.

You honestly believe that taxes are ring fenced? LOL.

I am not naive, but I'm clearly not as cynical as you. Why not actually have a read of the Auditor General's audit report and then decide.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/EnvironmentFund/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,32198,en.pdf

Again with assumptions that emails or letters have not been written. Why in gods name would anyone reproduce their emails on here? You have heard of private and confidential and the concept of diplomacy? Look how that worked out for auld Ming.

So you have written emails. To RTE? To Ministers? Why so coy about them?

Again with assumptions that I haven't read that document.

I did find your statement about purchasing in the us and that prices were starting to rise and rents were overpriced. The exact conditions that lead to the property bubble here. People got frightened by rising property prices and their mind was made up they had to get onto the property ladder just as you have.
    Unfortunately that lifetime fixed mortgage does not exist here.

So you have written emails. To RTE? To Ministers? Why so coy about them?

Why would anyone write to RTE unless you were revealing corruption? And then there are probably more legitimate journalists one could have written too. Of course I've written to politicians on different matters of concern. I've provided professional services for people living in substandard accommodation and have on many occasions taken on local authorities who have been negligent in their duty of care, and no I'm not a lawyer or solicitor. These matters are of a private nature and have no place for boards.

Sell up and rent if it is that onerous.

Sell up for less than half it value. Clever. WTF, are you attending the Bernie Madoff school of economics over there.

• Advertisement

I did find your statement about purchasing in the us and that prices were starting to rise and rents were overpriced. The exact conditions that lead to the property bubble here. People got frightened by rising property prices and their mind was made up they had to get onto the property ladder just as you have.

Hundreds of thousands of them were that frightened that they decided that they better get two or three houses. And one in Bulgaria as well just for good measure.

Oh come off it. You have read the audit report for the Environmental Fund 2011 previously before I posted that link and you still scoff at the idea of ringfencing.

Frankly I don't believe you.
    I did find your statement about purchasing in the us and that prices were starting to rise and rents were overpriced. The exact conditions that lead to the property bubble here.

It is very, very unlikely that the US will have another property boom in the next 4-10 years. I didnt buy for the profit. A house is a liability.

People got frightened by rising property prices and their mind was made up they had to get onto the property ladder just as you have.

I wasn't frightened. We made a calm rational decision based on the fact that rental yields here are stupid high (Intel partially to blame, as is the military) - buying was the best option, especially at 4% fixed for 30 years. At the time that was a better rate than the Irish Government could get for its bonds. We can restructure at any time without penalty.

Someone needs to start screaming for it.

No everyone did. Did you begrudge them?

Shocking property taxes though, $2500 this year, and would be $5,000 if we lived in the next county.

Do ya get anything in return?

Experiance should teach people never ever believe what politicians tell you. It is their profession to lie in order to get re-elected. I'm cynical and its not without merit. Ring fencing is a lie. It simply does not happen. The excuse of budget overruns is all too often used as an excuse to use monies which were ring fenced.
    Oh come off it. You have read the audit report for the Environmental Fund 2011 previously before I posted that link and you still scoff at the idea of ringfencing.

Frankly I don't believe you.

It is very, very unlikely that the US will have another property boom in the next 4-10 years. I didnt buy for the profit. A house is a liability.

I wasn't frightened. We made a calm rational decision based on the fact that rental yields here are stupid high (Intel partially to blame, as is the military) - buying was the best option, especially at 4% fixed for 30 years. At the time that was a better rate than the Irish Government could get for its bonds. We can restructure at any time without penalty.

Someone needs to start screaming for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States#Federal_income_tax_rates

Roughly 25% Federal Income Tax
    Plus local State Payroll taxes; Wage base is $22,400 for 2012 and $22,900 for 2013. Rates range from 0.06% to 5.40%.
    Plus Property Taxes. $600-$ lots

How much is the Universal Social Charge there?

• Advertisement

Hundreds of thousands of them were that frightened that they decided that they better get two or three houses. And one in Bulgaria as well just for good measure.

I think some of them were "frightened" as in a frenzy was created. And of course when you create this frenzy, demand goes up and your asset bubble expands. Anyone who has taken economics 101 can see how this works. The magicians in the banks who create imaginary money through inventive formulas, from which they collect interest on this imaginary money know this. Create a bubble, let it burst, property prices fall to nothing, and then they can buy it up cheap, recreate demand and the price goes up again.

Seriously, elementary economics. I saw no less than shacks being sold for phenomonal amounts, houses I wouldn't hand over an old shoe for.

But people bought into it. Fear is contagious, and it made people spend.

I hope these people are also going to indemnify their punters for the interest and penalties they'll incur in the event that their action fails, which it will...

Well, here's a few less people to worry about.

600 register for property levy – three months early (in the indo to-day)

How much is the Universal Social Charge there?

I posted it, local payroll taxes of up to 5%. And trust me, you really do not want to get into the Health service provision provided by the State. Private insurance is really really important. Yes, the USC is high, so is the level of your health and welfare provision.

Do you still think you are going to get away without paying?

I think some of them were "frightened" as in a frenzy was created. And of course when you create this frenzy, demand goes up and your asset bubble expands. Anyone who has taken economics 101 can see how this works. The magicians in the banks who create imaginary money through inventive formulas, from which they collect interest on this imaginary money know this. Create a bubble, let it burst, property prices fall to nothing, and then they can buy it up cheap, recreate demand and the price goes up again.

Seriously, elementary economics. I saw no less than shacks being sold for phenomonal amounts, houses I wouldn't hand over an old shoe for.

But people bought into it. Fear is contagious, and it made people spend.

I didn't know the banks were buying houses. That may be due to my inability to understand elementary economics. And maybe you could add greed to frenzy and fear in your analysis.

• Advertisement

I didn't know the banks were buying houses. That may be due to my inability to understand elementary economics. And maybe you could add greed to frenzy and fear in your analysis.

Sorry I got lost in my train of thought, no they wont buy them, but they will get them and sell them to other buyers be it NAMA or foreign investors cheap. Probably more the land that is of interest than the houses themselves. There was definitely greed too, no doubt about that. And fraud too.

See this interesting read:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056901498

Why would anyone write to RTE unless you were revealing corruption? And then there are probably more legitimate journalists one could have written too. Of course I've written to politicians on different matters of concern. I've provided professional services for people living in substandard accommodation and have on many occasions taken on local authorities who have been negligent in their duty of care, and no I'm not a lawyer or solicitor. These matters are of a private nature and have no place for boards.

Written complaints are little drops of water that wears away the mountain. Especially if you can expose wastes or poor deals being made. Local Authorities are horrible in Ireland for it, and sooner rather than later Ireland needs elected accountable mayors.

Fair play on your efforts, you know you can object to any spending a local authority makes (or fails to make) and the Auditor General will investigate.

Keep up the good work.

Sorry I got lost in my train of thought, no they wont buy them, but they will get them and sell them to other buyers be it NAMA or foreign investors cheap. Probably more the land that is of interest than the houses themselves. There was definitely greed too, no doubt about that. And fraud too.

See this interesting read:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056901498

Buying a house now should not be the preserve of NAMA or foreign investors. Mortgage loan to value ratio requirements are no more onerous now than they were before the bubble. And compared with the past when unemployment was higher and mortgage interest rates were usually over 10% (as high as 18% in my time) affordability is surely much easier.

If a "normal" person could get a house now for €140,000 that would have cost €300,000 before why not go for it. There is plenty of money in families out there (€120 billion in private savings) so if they were prepared to help out before it would make more sense now. In fact there is so much wealth out there that Sinn Fein say they could collect €800 million a year in a wealth tax which would not include the family home or farmland.

And people shouldn't be put off by the property tax, it has no effect on the market in other countries where it is much higher. Maybe people are just being greedy in the reverse sense waiting for prices to fall even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

My point was that it's all well and good for these freeman gobbledegook talkers to promise people that they've got a cunning plan to mount a legal challenge that'll get everyone off the hook for the tax, talk is cheap.

But even if they're not talkin sh1te then they should still be advising people to pay over the tax pending the outcome of their legal challenge - if they win then the Govt would legally obliged to return the money - if they lose then all their supporters will still be on the hook for the tax, but will have incurred penalties and interest.

Sell up for less than half it value. Clever. WTF, are you attending the Bernie Madoff school of economics over there.

Anyone who is in the paid off family home will certainly not be selling at a loss, amd you still seem to think these houses are actually worth what was being asked in 2006!

Buying a house now should not be the preserve of NAMA or foreign investors. Mortgage loan to value ratio requirements are no more onerous now than they were before the bubble. And compared with the past when unemployment was higher and mortgage interest rates were usually over 10% (as high as 18% in my time) affordability is surely much easier.

If a "normal" person could get a house now for €140,000 that would have cost €300,000 before why not go for it. There is plenty of money in families out there (€120 billion in private savings) so if they were prepared to help out before it would make more sense now. In fact there is so much wealth out there that Sinn Fein say they could collect €800 million a year in a wealth tax which would not include the family home or farmland.

And people shouldn't be put off by the property tax, it has no effect on the market in other countries where it is much higher. Maybe people are just being greedy in the reverse sense waiting for prices to fall even further.

Who has all this "wealth out there?"

If banks aren't lending, then you need cash to buy, and even at 140 k who has that kind of cash?

I was talking to my estate agent, through whom I'm renting, and he said that they aren't accepting mortgages, they want to see the cash in the bank account of the buyer.

Who has all this "wealth out there?"

If banks aren't lending, then you need cash to buy, and even at 140 k who has that kind of cash?

I was talking to my estate agent, through whom I'm renting, and he said that they aren't accepting mortgages, they want to see the cash in the bank account of the buyer.

Plenty of people have wealth. Unless you believe what the Socialist Party say, that it is all in the pockets of about 5 people.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/is-it-time-to-welcome-back-the-bull-1.502912

There is certainly plenty of money out there looking for a home. According to the Central Statistics Office, the Irish savings ratio is of the order of 17 per cent, which means that for every €1 of disposable income, households are saving almost 20 cent – in 2007, the percentage saved was zero.

Do you still think you are going to get away without paying?

I'll do my damndest.

Written complaints are little drops of water that wears away the mountain. Especially if you can expose wastes or poor deals being made. Local Authorities are horrible in Ireland for it, and sooner rather than later Ireland needs elected accountable mayors.

Fair play on your efforts, you know you can object to any spending a local authority makes (or fails to make) and the Auditor General will investigate.

Keep up the good work.

Just in case I forget, MadsL, You made a remark in an earlier post that Ben Gilroy is a spoofer. Could you tell us what did he spoof about?

Just in case I forget, MadsL, You made a remark in an earlier post that Ben Gilroy is a spoofer. Could you tell us what did he spoof about?

That DDI was unconstitutionally taken out of the constitution. The 1937 constitution was a whole new constitution therefore perfectly legal.

He's also spewing Freeman bolloxology.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement