Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

MadsL wrote: »
    Do enlighten me how you feel you were forced to buy a house. This should be good.

No one 'forced' us to buy a home for the family.

In saying that though, stamp duty was attached to the home then in lieu of a property tax.

Where has your confusion on that came from incidentally?

As you are doing a bit of advertising and cheering for the guy I thought you might have gone along .

Wroing again.
    Nothing voluntary about leaving after applying for 500 jobs, including applications throughout Europe and even Kazakhstan.

You could have stayed at home you know?

No one forced you to emigrate, you keep playing the poor mouth in that line, fact is though you could've stayed in Ireland with your daughter.

As a non home owner in Ireland, actually as a non resident in Ireland, why is this whole property tax issue such concern to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do enlighten me how you feel you were forced to buy a house. This should be good.

As you are doing a bit of advertising and cheering for the guy I thought you might have gone along.

Nothing voluntary about leaving after applying for 500 jobs, including applications throughout Europe and even Kazakhstan.

The option is in front of you all the same.

There were option in front of you too and you seem agitated like you took the wrong one. You could have stayed and slugged it out.Don't eat yourself up over it though as it's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

SamHall wrote: »
    No one 'forced' us to buy a home for the family.

In saying that though, stamp duty was attached to the home then in lieu of a property tax.

Where has your confusion on that came from incidentally?

Probably you drawing parallels with buying a house and forced emigration.

Wroing again.
    So you sig is quite meaningless then? Are not prepared to even explain the guy's policies. Is it based on this DDI bolloxology?
    You could have stayed at home you know?

No one forced you to emigrate, you keep playing the poor mouth in that line, fact is though you could've stayed in Ireland with your daughter.
    And since the Jobseeker's benefit had run out and the only option was a rent allowance flat and the dole, or depleting savings further, not too many real options there. Sometimes you have to move where the work is.

You are now critising me for not drawing dole in Ireland. Quite unreal.
    As a non home owner in Ireland, actually as a non resident in Ireland, why is this whole property tax issue such concern to you?

I have already explained that in an earlier post. To turn the question around - why is my opinion of such concern to you as I have no vote in Ireland? Is it just your sense of "how very dare" someone who doesn't live in Ireland have an opinion on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

And since the Jobseeker's benefit had run out and the only option was a rent allowance flat and the dole, or depleting savings further, not too many real options there.

The economy could have done with you spending your savings.
    Patriotic act missed out on there, MadsL.

There were option in front of you too and you seem agitated like you took the wrong one. You could have stayed and slugged it out.Don't eat yourself up over it though as it's not worth it.

I think you are misunderstanding my anger at the economic collapse through property greed with regret for leaving. Apart from family separation I have no regrets at all. I find it rich that there is so much complaining about increased taxes and so little action however, and I despair for my daughter to have to grow up with such a such god-awful legacy of debt.

I hope she gets a good free(ish) education and then gets out of there. She should not have to pick up the tab for the party either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think you are misunderstanding my anger at the economic collapse through property greed with regret for leaving. Apart from family separation I have no regrets at all. I find it rich that there is so much complaining about increased taxes and so little action however, and I despair for my daughter to have to grow up with such a such god-awful legacy of debt.

I hope she gets a good free(ish) education and then gets out of there. She should not have to pick up the tab for the party either.

I agree.
    I had a fairly humble existence. Always worked and never had a day sick except in 1979 when I was hospitalised for 3 days after an accident. never had a holiday abroad and only went over to a rented house in the west for a week twice when my kids were young.
    I have protested and will continue to do so. After all my 6 grandchildren have been lumbered by a debt of 56k each for something they had no part in.

Probably you drawing parallels with buying a house and forced emigration.

Let's be honest here. No one, present or previous govt's forced you to emigrate, that's just exaggeration at its highest.

So you sig is quite meaningless then? Are not prepared to even explain the guy's policies. Is it based on this DDI bolloxology?

The word 'EXILED' is under your name, are you actually exiled from the Island?

I would like to see Gilroy get elected, for the reasons already posted by me in this thread.

And since the Jobseeker's benefit had run out and the only option was a rent allowance flat and the dole, or depleting savings further, not too many real options there. Sometimes you have to move where the work is.

What line of work were you in?

You are now critising me for not drawing dole in Ireland. Quite unreal.

I am.? Where?

In saying that though, "the option was in front of you"

I have already explained that in an earlier post. To turn the question around - why is my opinion of such concern to you as I have no vote in Ireland? Is it just your sense of "how very dare" someone who doesn't live in Ireland have an opinion on it?

No not at all.

You keep harping on though about the property taxes you pay in America.

Have you not enough to be worrying yourself about, without worrying about a country you're 'exiled' from:confused:

Let's be honest here. No one, present or previous govt's forced you to emigrate, that's just exaggeration at its highest.

Just like no-one forced you to pay stamp duty nor the LPT.
    The word 'EXILED' is under your name, are you actually exiled from the Island?
    Observant, and lacking in a sense of humour aren't you.
    I would like to see Gilroy get elected, for the reasons already posted by me in this thread.
    How do you feel about him lying about the constitution and this DDI codology?
    What line of work were you in?
    I'm a goalpost shifter, at least that is what I have been accused of.
    I am.? Where?
    According to you I should have stayed.
    You keep harping on though about the property taxes you pay in America.
    Given they are six times the level that you are whining about, yes, yes I do. Do you think you have it so bad?
    Have you not enough to be worrying yourself about, without worrying about a country you're 'exiled' from:confused:

And there's the thing that gets you, the old how dare emigrants tell us anything. That's why they are denied the vote isn't it? Ireland loathes emigrants. Nothing new there...perhaps you should be less of a cliche.

Now there has been quite enough about me in this thread, I suggest we get back to discussing the tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Some did. Do you dispute that fact?

You are right, some did, there is no one disputing this.

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    You are right, some did, there is no one disputing this.

If you have any suggestion for isolating those who did and making them pay relatively more tax I'd love to hear them.

Now there has been quite enough about me in this thread, I suggest we get back to discussing the tax.

The tax you are not paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Havent recieved any letter yet but when i do its going in the bin

Just in case this was not highlighted enough in this and other threads:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/lpt-faqs.pdf
    10.1 What if I refuse to pay?
    • When Revenue sends you your LPT Return form, we will also include a
    Revenue Estimate of your LPT liability. It is important to note that this
    Revenue Estimate is not a valuation of a property nor should it be
    regarded as an accurate calculation of LPT liability.
    • If you don’t send back the LPT Return form and your self assessment of your LPT liability, Revenue’s Estimate of your LPT liability will be collected using normal collection/enforcement options – deduction at source, sheriff, court action, attachment orders.
    • Interest and penalties may also apply.
    • In circumstances where standard enforcement is not applied for whatever
    reason, then a charge will be put on your property. You won’t be able to sell it without paying the tax together with interest and, where appropriate, penalties.

10.2 What if I haven’t paid the correct amount?
    • Revenue will provide guidelines to assist property owners in assessing the
    value of their property in March 2013.
    • Revenue will not be valuing properties for LPT purposes.
    • The guidelines will help property owners establish average/indicative
    values for properties in their area.
    • Each property owner will need to consider the specifics of their own
    property when using Revenue’s valuation guidelines.
    • If you follow Revenue’s valuation guidelines honestly, we will accept your
    property value assessment.
    • If Revenue has reason to believe that the amount you have declared on your Return does not reflect the market value of your property, we may raise an assessment for a different amount.

10.3 What will happen if I don’t pay on time or in accordance with my agreed
    payment arrangements?
    Interest charges will apply to the late payment of property tax for 2013, with effect from 1 July 2013.

10.4 Do I have to send Revenue back the LPT Return form or can I just pay the LPT due?

• It is important to note that you will have to submit your return and pay the
    amount of LPT due based on the self-assessed value of your property.
    • If you pay the Revenue Estimate amount, you will still have to file your LPT
    Return form with the self-assessed value of your property.
    • Revenue will follow up with you if you do not submit your LPT Return form.
    10.5 How will Revenue ensure that self-employed liable property owners
    comply?
    • If you are self-employed and don’t send back your LPT Return form and your
    self assessment of your LPT liability, the tax set out in the Revenue Estimate
    will be collected using normal collection/enforcement options – sheriff, court
    action, attachment orders.
    • If you are self-employed and fail to pay your LPT, Revenue will not issue you
    with a tax clearance certificate.
    • A self-employed liable person who fails to submit his or her LPT return on
    time may incur a surcharge for the late submission of his or her income tax
    return, regardless of whether or not the income tax return is submitted on time.
    • Where LPT remains outstanding a charge will attach to that property. This
    charge will have to be discharged on the sale/transfer of the property

• If you don’t send back the LPT Return form and your self assessment of your LPT liability, Revenue’s Estimate of your LPT liability will be collected using normal collection/enforcement options – deduction at source, sheriff, court action, attachment orders.
    reason, then a charge will be put on your property. You won’t be able to sell it without paying the tax together with interest and, where appropriate, penalties.

• If Revenue has reason to believe that the amount you have declared on your Return does not reflect the market value of your property, we may raise an assessment for a different amount.

payment arrangements?
    Interest charges will apply to the late payment of property tax for 2013, with effect from 1 July 2013.

10.4 Do I have to send Revenue back the LPT Return form or can I just pay the LPT due?

comply?
    return, regardless of whether or not the income tax return is submitted on time.

how will the deceased/ not the property owners fair out in that legislation btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If you have any suggestion for isolating those who did and making them pay relatively more tax I'd love to hear them.
    Where was the buy to let market driven from, home buyers was it? Renters I'd say.

mikom wrote: »

The tax you are not paying?
    I wasn't aware it was a free speech tax.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Where was the buy to let market driven from, home buyers was it? Renters I'd say.

immigrants mostly. Here to build more rental properties.

Just like no-one forced you to pay stamp duty nor the LPT.

Couldn't buy the home without the stamp duty, so forced to a certain extent.

I've a good sense of humor.
    Don't like people playing the poor mouth though that's all.
    How do you feel about him lying about the constitution and this DDI /?

I would like to see him get people's vote over the FG candidate.
    Cronyism in Ireland at its highest by the FG party, something they said they'd end when in govt. Yet, they put a young woman up for her dead fathers seat, and him barely cold.

Besides, didn't the current coalition lie through their teeth?

Done them no harm. ;)
    I'm a goalpost shifter, at least that is what I have been accused of.

Quoted from your good self:
    According to you I should have stayed.

No, I didn't. I said it 'was an option in front of you'
    Given they are six times the level that you are whining about, yes, yes I do. Do you think you have it so bad?

Stamp duty? Did you pay that upon buying the house?

And there's the thing that gets you, the old how dare emigrants tell us anything. That's why they are denied the vote isn't it? Ireland loathes emigrants. Nothing new there...perhaps you should be less of a cliche.

News to me. Seriously, never knew it.

You're living the American dream I can see anyway. Fair play to you.

The tax that won't affect you in any shape or form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Why not stone them?

Why not stone them?
    Then exile them.

Forced emigration I believe it's called these days. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware it was a free speech tax.

No?
    Well that'll be the upcoming broadcasting tax............... another one the Irish in Amerikay will not have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

payment arrangements?

comply?

Looks like ill just have to open this letter then. BASTARDS! Im actully selling my house at a price i think whats the market value but some people say its undervalued. Will i be liable for more tax if i sell it under the market value thou IMO there is no market value in ireland nomore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

Forgot to add that im on the dole and have debts including to thee tax man,what if i cant pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Stamp duty was not in lieu of property tax, where are you pulling that from??

Plenty of other countries have property taxes and stamp duty where one or both are at rates similar to or exceeding ours, and pay water rates etc. as well. Why should we be the exception?

And don't give me any shyte about the money being wasted by the Government / local authorities; we all elected them, it's up to us to hold them accountable.

Why not stone them?

As satifsying as that may be to watch I cannot see how, short of charging admission, that woůld address that debt black hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Friend of mine has a council house and she received a letter from Revenue today telling her she has to pay the property tax.
    She's renting from the council..what should she do?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

fussyonion wrote: »
    Friend of mine has a council house and she received a letter from Revenue today telling her she has to pay the property tax.
    She's renting from the council..what should she do?!

She'll have to pay twice, plus interest & penalties. It's either that or move to America and bitch and moan about how she had to move to America for the rest of her natural life.

squod wrote: »
    She'll have to pay twice, plus interest & penalties. It's either that or move to America and bitch and moan about how she had to move to America for the rest of her natural life.

Where she will be told by anyone who didn't emigrate that she is no longer allowed an opinion on anything to do with the old sod. 'Cus them's the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

As satifsying as that may be to watch I cannot see how, short of charging admission, that woůld address that debt black hole.

It would make a start!

The Simpsons - Apu: Where's a gun-toting lowlife when you need one?

I got mine today, i put it straight in the bin, although, I was tempted to wipe my ass with it and send it back to them! ( I think I might sign all my correspondance in this way from now on!)

I got another one from management company telling me their gonna clamp my car in my drive if I don't pay their charges! ha, that went in the bin too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Perhaps when you are forced to emigrate you'll appreciate the experience, however many, many of that wide and very general group were cheerleaders of that property boom.

Am Back from my sojourn.

While on my sin-binning, I was reading the comments. I swore I wouldn't answer MadsL anymore, as I knew my blood would boil again and I would end up with a longer ban.

HOWEVER, I just couldn't let this go without commenting: I too was left with no choice but to emigrate during the last recession - mid 80's. I emigrated to South Africa, and became a dual national.

Around 2001, the Irish Governemt of the day sent a delegation to South Africa looking for workers, as they were having problems at home with lack of skills. This was huge news in SA, and was on all the news bulletins for as long as the govt. of the day was out there. I didn't come back, but eventually, the industry I was in collapsed, and I couldn't get re-employed as my skin wasn't the right colour, so before my savings dwindled to non-existence, I came back to Ireland.

Am I bitter over what has happened? NO. Life must go on, I just wish You would brush that chip off Your shoulder.

Now, please don't lecture me on the rights and wrongs of going to such a society in the 80's, as I won't be able to see the comment, as I too am ignoring You from here on in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Again, this insular mé feín constant train of thought - ye know:
    "I only care about what directly affects me, nothing else, no bigger picture, my entitlement, my back yard, my daughters back yard, my umpteen ever expanding grandchildren's back yard, and it's just great cause all the rest that happens around me is just magic'ed.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Again, this insular mé feín constant train of thought - ye know:
    "I only care about what directly affects me, nothing else, no bigger picture, my entitlement, my back yard, my daughters back yard, my umpteen ever expanding grandchildren's back yard, and it's just great cause all the rest that happens around me is just magic'ed.

Change the script.

Please.

What have you brought to this thread only your favorite phrase of "mé féin" seriously?

I stand by my decision and my reasons for refusing to pay this tax voluntary.

I'm self sufficient, and I do not depend on anyone else to feed, house nor clothe me and mine.

When you bring something else worth discussing I'll entertain your thoughts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

And don't give me any shyte about the money being wasted by the Government / local authorities; we all elected them, it's up to us to hold them accountable.

no, you elected them.
    one minute its dont vote FF back, next its dont vote SF in, then its vote this crowd out- you guys talk a lot through your respective hats. Democracy is broken in our banana republic, there is no voting out, only replacing them with other chancers.

there's only one way to hold the government accountable and thats stem the flow of gravy.

Now get off the interwebs and do your bit for your country by not paying this tax...
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

What have you brought to this thread only your favorite phrase of "mé féin" seriously?

I stand by my decision and my reasons for refusing to pay this tax voluntary.

I don't think anything will get past the blinkers you have on Sam. I have reminded you of your post #250 several times where you are advocating people engage painters, plasters, plumbers at cash in hand rates or on the black market. How do we square that one off????

I'm all ears - but then again that is the whole me fein thing that I believe is your modus operandi life style. You haven't in all your hopeful attempts to egg others on shown anything to lead me to believe that you are anything other than single minded. And this becomes my problem, your problem, the nation's problem and so on. Not good for that big auld ailen concept of yours 'The Bigger Picture'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I didn't pay the household charge last year and I won't be paying this new tax either. No matter what way they spin this it's just another way of reaching into the pockets of the people to cough up extra funds. No matter what is said on internet forums , most people will pay it because that's what this country has become and it's why it is so easy for government to continue to attack the lower and middle class people , because we moan and moan but that's all we do and then we pay.

Look at this list of what a general homeowner has propably paid out and has in monthly charges already.

* PRSI
    * UNSC (Another gem)
    * Mortgage
    * House insurance
    * Life assurance
    * Car tax
    * Petrol costs (High as they are with tax)
    * ESB
    * Gas
    * Internet
    * School fee's
    * TV Licence
    * Water charges (Again a gem)

It seems like it won't stop until they have bled every drop of disposable income out of the pockets of the lower and middle class , and will then still stand still wondering why the economy can't improve. IT'S BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ANY ****ING MONEY TO SPEND WITH YOU MORONS TAKING EVERY PENNY FROM US IN TAX!

And for anyone who said you rent your land from the state , you do not. They put it for sale , I buy it and build a house and pay them their fee and charges/stamp duty. Now I own the land and the house , that's what I paid for. Property tax my arse, what service are you offering for this tax , how does it benefit me and my family/friends/ neighbours.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I didn't pay the household charge last year and I won't be paying this new tax either. No matter what way they spin this it's just another way of reaching into the pockets of the people to cough up extra funds. No matter what is said on internet forums , most people will pay it because that's what this country has become and it's why it is so easy for government to continue to attack the lower and middle class people , because we moan and moan but that's all we do and then we pay.

Look at this list of what a general homeowner has propably paid out and has in monthly charges already.

* PRSI
    * UNSC (Another gem)
    * Mortgage
    * House insurance
    * Life assurance
    * Car tax
    * ESB
    * Gas
    * Internet
    * School fee's
    * TV Licence

It seems like it won't stop until they have bled every drop of disposable income out of the pockets of the lower and middle class , and will then still stand still wondering why the economy can't improve. IT'S BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE ANY ****ING MONEY TO SPEND WITH YOU MORONS TAKING EVERY PENNY FROM US IN TAX!

And for anyone who said you rent your land from the state , you do not. They put it for sale , I buy it and build a house and pay them their fee and charges/stamp duty. Now I own the land and the house , that's what I paid for. Property tax my arse, what service are you offering for this tax , how does it benefit me and my family/friends/ neighbours.

That's thinking for yourself.

Not permitted apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

My brother in law lived with us for a short period of time 2 years ago. When he bought his house last year he informed Revenue of the new address. On Tuesday a letter came to my house addressed to him. Gave him the letter yesterday when I popped over to him and when he opened it the details where for the house he bought :confused: Why didnt Revenue just address the letter directly to the new address??

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Am Back from my sojourn.

While on my sin-binning, I was reading the comments. I swore I wouldn't answer MadsL anymore, as I knew my blood would boil again and I would end up with a longer ban.

HOWEVER, I just couldn't let this go without commenting: I too was left with no choice but to emigrate during the last recession - mid 80's. I emigrated to South Africa, and became a dual national.

Around 2001, the Irish Governemt of the day sent a delegation to South Africa looking for workers, as they were having problems at home with lack of skills. This was huge news in SA, and was on all the news bulletins for as long as the govt. of the day was out there. I didn't come back, but eventually, the industry I was in collapsed, and I couldn't get re-employed as my skin wasn't the right colour, so before my savings dwindled to non-existence, I came back to Ireland.

Am I bitter over what has happened? NO. Life must go on, I just wish You would brush that chip off Your shoulder.

Now, please don't lecture me on the rights and wrongs of going to such a society in the 80's, as I won't be able to see the comment, as I too am ignoring You from here on in.

Classic passive agressive response, "I'm not listening to you anymore". And you couldn't get re-employed probably because you chose to take a job aiding a facist regime, you didn't even have the excuse of being born there.

Property tax my arse, what service are you offering for this tax , how does it benefit me and my family/friends/ neighbours.

A tax has to offer a service :confused:

What alternatives do you have in mind to clear the €390,969 per person owed by the Irish state?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15748696

No-one was permitted to speak out against overdevelopment (busy bodies)
    No-one was permitted to predict a crash (prophets of doom, get em)
    No-one was permitted to question why the Irsh state was overheavy with contruction jobs (Negative thinking)
    No-one was prepared to allow the banks to fail, tiny numbers turned out to protest the bank guarantee.
    No-one was prepared to demand default.
    No-one was willing to reject austerity measures by mass protest and general strike.
    No-one was willing see real change in Irish politics.

But by god when a property tax comes in is there some complaining! And you act suprised by being accused of having a "mé féin" attitude?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

What alternatives do you have in mind to clear the €390,969 per person owed by the Irish state?

No-one was permitted to question why the Irsh state was overheavy with contruction jobs (Negative thinking)
    No-one was prepared to allow the banks to fail, tiny numbers turned out to protest the bank guarantee.
    No-one was willing to reject austerity measures by mass protest and general strike.

But by god when a property tax comes in is there some complaining! And you act suprised by being accused of having a "mé féin" attitude?

i have loads of solutions but im going to wait till im paying tax in another country before i tell you...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

MadsL is Tommy Tiernan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

New scaled down lists of exempt estates are out,some weird stuff in them.Many are complete & 100% occupied.
    One in my town has just had over €30k spent on doing it up and is still exempt as it has 2 empty houses at the back of it out of the way.

It's as if the LA just found a list of estates which were built by developers that are now gone bust & never bothered to actually go out and check what kind of condition said estates are in,a minority should be exempt but the vast majority are complete and have full occupancy therefore can't be classed as ghost estates meanwhile others not on the list are in a worse state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

* PRSI
    * UNSC (Another gem)
    * Mortgage
    * House insurance
    * Life assurance
    * Car tax
    * ESB
    * Gas
    * Internet
    * School fee's
    * TV Licence

That's an impressive debit list. On the credit side did you or anyone in your house ever get a few Euro from taxpayers money? You could do a list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

* PRSI
    * UNSC (Another gem)
    * Mortgage
    * House insurance
    * Life assurance
    * Car tax
    * ESB
    * Gas
    * Internet
    * School fee's
    * TV Licence

It's been pointed out that its pretty difficult to avoid paying this tax as Revenue will just look to remove it from your income stream at source.
    Others have suggested making up the amount deducted in the property tax by engaging those in the shadow economy or by paying UK VAT, which isn't really not paying, more offsetting into another tax due. So if you have a plan to avoid it, would you care to share? Are you going to make your house(s) disappear?

That's an impressive debit list. On the credit side did you or anyone in your house ever get a few Euro from taxpayers money? You could do a list.

Probably just a % of their own tax money they are getting back.
    The rest pissed away on trips to Doha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

No actually I haven't but I've been paying into the system for years. That's not the point though , there are people who need state assistance I understand that , differance is they have a human element and requirement not a greedy bunch high ranking government officials who are in holding hands sessions with the banks.

Bottom line - The common man is paying for greed , abuse of power and mis management of a corrupt banking system and government.

And still they abuse that power , state owned my arse I have friends under serious pressure unable to meet payment's , where is their help coming from? Who's actually running the banks? State owned....yeah sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

It's been pointed out that its pretty difficult to avoid paying this tax as Revenue will just look to remove it from your income stream at source.
    Others have suggested making up the amount deducted in the property tax by engaging those in the shadow economy or by paying UK VAT, which isn't really not paying, more offsetting into another tax due. So if you have a plan to avoid it, would you care to share? Are you going to make your house(s) disappear?

Back to this again. Plenty of peoe dodge taxes. Thats the way of the world and no taxman in the history of this planet has a 100% success rate.

Some people will pay it. Some people won't. Lots and lots of people don't care enough to be bothered. Sign the forms, let them take what you want.! Threatening people only works against the weak.

You could start with mortgage interest reliéf perhaps?

Maybe those complaining about LPT and calling for everyone to be liable could tell us if they would support the same level of Govt subsidy for renters that they currently receive subsidising their mortgage?

I'm self sufficient, and I do not depend on anyone else to feed, house nor clothe me and mine.
    i
    You grow your own medicines, and are a trained firefighter?

You could start with mortgage interest reliéf perhaps?

Maybe those complaining about LPT and calling for everyone to be liable could tell us if they would support the same level of Govt subsidy for renters that they currently receive subsidising their mortgage?

Did you receive mortgage interest relief?

ah no, you were too shrewd to buy a property in Ireland, and didn't agree with 'paying other people's debt'.

Then you say this:

I certainly don't owe that (personally)

Sad thing is, you posted that statement from a foreign land you excommunicated yourself to, leaving a daughter behind.

America must be mind numbingly boring if you have to spend a large portion of your day pontificating on an internet forum, for others to pay up a tax that doesn't affect you in any way. (And by your logic, you wouldn't have paid either even if you were in the country)

I really take you seriously, I truly do.:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement