Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

I wouldn't expect the database to be correct on a first attempt. It will take time to refine esp as it's a moving target. Mail going to dead people will ultimately make its way to their executors.

Isn't that the damn problem? Wasn't there some bloke on JD today who said there is NO database. This a 1st world country with absolutly NO database?

Now, they ( Kildare St.) think they can get the people to register, AND get a few hundred quid off each house into the bargain? And, if someone is deceased and gets a letter, it's up to whoever got the letter to inform them?

Why the hell do we fill out these census forms? SURELY, they can garner the info they need from there?

One can only laugh!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Even if it was perfect how are they going to get money from people who have nothing left to give?
    If a person can't afford to pay his mortgage then how can he pay a tax on his house?

They should defer this tax until the country is in better shape.
    Too much austerity in too short a period.

That's a big change in your attitude. I thought taxing the family home was a no no with you.

Do you recall a time in the past where the country was in good enough shape for a property tax? Remembering that we had one up to 1977. I hope this new better shape won't mean more expensive houses, that would mean higher tax.

this "unfinished Estates" estates this is the biggest load of Cop out B0ll0cks codology out there. Ive been to a fair number of the estates in North Dublin that were exempt from the household charge that had little more then a leftover Container and a half built bit of wall which classed the entire estate which was well finished into the this bracket.

People who should have got exempt from the household charge and this the new list way more accuratly reflects the true number of unfinished and ghost estates.

WOW, someone who generalises!!! HOW can You say this, You are the one who is talking (quote) biggest load of Cop out B0ll0cks codology out there (unquote).

Read post #1313 in this thread, and keep in mind that we were NEVER granted GE status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That's a big change in your attitude. I thought taxing the family home was a no no with you.

Do you recall a time in the past where the country was in good enough shape for a property tax? Remembering that we had one up to 1977. I hope this new better shape won't mean more expensive houses, that would mean higher tax.

It is a no no with me still.
    However if they are going to persist then for the benefit of the scared and elderly who are afraid to oppose it and refuse to pay then it should be deferred.
    There are people who are going to go hungry if this goes ahead and that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Source for your assertive statement?

Try Citizens info.

Arrears
    Late payment penalties and interest apply if you did not pay the 2012 Household Charge. It is an offence not to pay it, and local authorities have the power to prosecute people who do not pay.

The arrears of the Household Charge for 2012 will be capped at €130 if you pay by 30 April 2013.

If you do not pay the Household Charge for 2012 by 1 July 2013, the Local Property Tax in respect of the property will be increased by €200. In effect, the arrears of the Household Charge will be converted into LPT and collected through the LPT system. Revenue will pursue this additional liability when the LPT system is fully operational. Interest and penalties under the LPT system will apply to the additional €200.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Isn't that the damn problem? Wasn't there some bloke on JD today who said there is NO database. This a 1st world country with absolutly NO database?

Now, they ( Kildare St.) think they can get the people to register, AND get a few hundred quid off each house into the bargain? And, if someone is deceased and gets a letter, it's up to whoever got the letter to inform them?

One can only laugh!!!

Probably best to just wait and see if you get your own letter.

If you do, you'll know that the database is good enof to track you down (and Revenue will then have a lead on you). Beyond that the whole discussion is academic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

mikom wrote: »
    Hardly a point when the proles are hamstrung by legislation.
    Reliant due to state pressure.
    But shur he could just leave the county if he is not happy, I hear you say........
    bgrizzley wrote: »
    And then we have people from the Nevada desert telling us to pay??? They ARE entitled to their opinion, but please don't let them come along and tell us what WE must do.

I wonder if you would be advising me NOT to pay if I owned property in Ireland but worked overseas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MadsL wrote: »
    I wonder if you would be advising me NOT to pay if I owned property in Ireland but worked overseas??

Buy one and I'll tell you.

See life from the other side.

Buy one and I'll tell you.

See life from the other side.

I see I have to own a property in Ireland before you'll engage in a discussion. hypothetically, let's say I do own a property in Ireland, and am liable for the tax.

Should I dodge it and refuse to pay? How about Bono? Would you advise him not to pay his LPT too?

Probably best to just wait and see if you get your own letter.

If you do, you'll know that the database is good enof to track you down (and Revenue will then have a lead on you). Beyond that the whole discussion is academic.

Didn't get a letter re the HHC, nor have I got a letter yet this week - though I am expecting one, and it'll go straight to the blue recycle bin.

Still not sure how your comment is connected to the complete lack of a database though. Saying that, I would expect soetime in the future there will be a database though.

• Advertisement

I see I have to own a property in Ireland before you'll engage in a discussion.

I'm engaged.

hypothetically, let's say I do own a property in Ireland, and am liable for the tax.

Hypothetically, what are you doing in the states.
    Hypothetically, why are you not living in your Irish property and putting back into the economy through your income tax, Vat on purchases etc.

Should I dodge it and refuse to pay?

Up to you.
    I won't tell you what to do with your Mother Irelands taxes........ and I live here.

How about Bono? Would you advise him not to pay his LPT too?

Let Bono pay the Bono tax...... or not if that suits him.
    He lives here for a part of the year, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Think you may have mis-attributed a quote to me there, Madsl.

(however if the q. was directed at me, i would be advising you not to pay... ;) )

I'm engaged.
    Congratulations who is the lucky girl ;)
    Hypothetically, what are you doing in the states.
    No work in Ireland.
    Hypothetically, why are you not living in your Irish property and putting back into the economy through your income tax, Vat on purchases etc.
    No work in Ireland. In negative equity so can't sell. Tried renting but only covering the mortgage.

Should I refuse to pay?
    Up to you.
    I won't tell you what to do with your Mother Irelands taxes........ and I live here.
    I see, so your stance is just that you are not paying, are you not advising others not to pay it?
    Let Bono pay the Bono tax......
    There's a Bono tax???
    or not if that suits him.
    He lives here for a part of the year, yes?
    Bono announces he's NOT paying it. Do you cheer or jeer?

Can anyone tell me if these revenue letters are registered?

Think you may have mis-attributed a quote to me there, Madsl.

(however if the q. was directed at me, i would be advising you not to pay... ;) )

Apologies.

So would you also advise Bono not to pay if you ran into in a pub in Dalkey?

Didn't get a letter re the HHC, nor have I got a letter yet this week - though I am expecting one, and it'll go straight to the blue recycle bin.

Still not sure how your comment is connected to the complete lack of a database though. Saying that, I would expect soetime in the future there will be a database though.

Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.

However.

123.—Any local property tax, interest referred to in section 149 or
    other monetary penalty amount which is due and unpaid by a liable
    person shall be and remain a charge on the relevant residential property
    to which it relates.

124.—Notwithstanding section 36 of the Statute of Limitations
    1957, the charge referred to in section 123 shall continue to apply
    without a time limit until such time as it is paid in full.

Apologies.

So would you also advise Bono not to pay if you ran into in a pub in Dalkey?

i would but i doubt bono would heed advice from me either way, sure didnt he up sticks when the artists exemption was curtailed? so much for feed the fcukin world...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/U2s-Bono-set-to-become-billionaire-thanks-to-Facebook-investment-138633884.html

(wonder what the cgt would have been on his facebook shares. more than the HHC ill wager)

http://www.richbutbroke.com/60/Bono-Net-Worth
    Bono's Net Worth Is $1,409,100,000

i would but i doubt bono would heed advice from me either way, sure didnt he up sticks when the artists exemption was curtailed? so much for feed the fcukin world...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/U2s-Bono-set-to-become-billionaire-thanks-to-Facebook-investment-138633884.html

(wonder what the cgt would have been on his facebook shares. more than the HHC ill wager)

http://www.richbutbroke.com/60/Bono-Net-Worth
    Bono's Net Worth Is $1,409,100,000

You didn't answer my question.

Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future.

However.

123.—Any local property tax, interest referred to in section 149 or
    other monetary penalty amount which is due and unpaid by a liable
    person shall be and remain a charge on the relevant residential property
    to which it relates.

124.—Notwithstanding section 36 of the Statute of Limitations
    1957, the charge referred to in section 123 shall continue to apply
    without a time limit until such time as it is paid in full or until the next shower need to buy votes.

ftfy buddy ;)

You didn't answer my question.

read again, i did (first 2 words)

• Advertisement

Just watched an item on Prime Time regarding the unfinished estates and the Property Tax. It's outrageous that the Govt want a LPT from those people. Decent people struggling to survive in squalor and chaos. Lives a misery. Yet the developers escaped scot free.

This kind of bullying has to be opposed.

No work in Ireland.

Look at all the employment opportunities you fled from.

Septic tank inspectors.
    Revenue officials.
    TV licence inspectors.
    Traffic wardens.
    NCT assessor.

You too can become a member of the hand out brigade.

In negative equity so can't sell. Tried renting but only covering the mortgage.
    Should I refuse to pay?

Your call.
    You are in Amerikay........... maybe you are safe.

I see, so your stance is just that you are not paying, are you not advising others not to pay it?

Up to you.................. But then it won't affect you, so.....

Bono announces he's NOT paying it. Do you cheer or jeer?

Fair play.
    He took a stand in reality at least, not just hypothetical "I'm alright Jack" land.

read again, i did (first 2 words)

Apologies, re-read it.

So one of the richest men in the country should not pay property taxes. What about Seanie Fitzpatrick? Should he not pay property taxes?

Just watched an item on Prime Time regarding the unfinished estates and the Property Tax. It's outrageous that the Govt want a LPT from those people. Decent people struggling to survive in squalor and chaos. Lives a misery. Yet the developers escaped scot free.

This kind of bullying has to be opposed.

You are opposed to it. Now what?

ftfy buddy ;)

Or until the next shower needs to buy votes?

Who are you writing about there?

He took a stand in reality at least, not just hypothetical "I'm alright Jack" land.

I took a stand outside of Dáil Éireann the night the Irish state underwrote Irish banking debt. Very few stood with me.

I took a stand outside of Dáil Éireann the night the Irish state underwrote Irish banking debt. Very few stood with me.

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/preventing-body-odor

Apologies, re-read it.

So one of the richest men in the country should not pay property taxes. What about Seanie Fitzpatrick? Should he not pay property taxes?

no he shouldnt, id prefer he pay income tax on his earnings which would amount to a damn sight more than a few thousand quid for a house.
    But you see, that is the whole point of this exercise Madsl. take a small amount from all the plebs so you can let the obscenely wealthy fcuk off to Holland with the swag.
    they arent called "The Party of the Rich" for nothing:eek:.

Same for that other cnut(SF), he should pay what he really owes this country, not a few thousand poxy Euros

You are opposed to it. Now what?

People should look after their families first. That's far more important than any tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Very mature response there Tayto, maybe it's just the smell of your tayto-breath blowing back in your face... :rolleyes:

Or until the next shower needs to buy votes?

Who are you writing about there?

next shower of clowns! (or FF as we know them...)

Was Bono there?

no he shouldnt, id prefer he pay income tax on his earnings which would amount to a damn sight more than a few thousand quid for a house.
    But you see, that is the whole point of this exercise Madsl. take a small amount from all the plebs so you can let the obscenely wealthy fcuk off to Holland with the swag.
    they arent called "The Party of the Rich" for nothing:eek:.

Same for that other cnut(SF), he should pay what he really owes this country, not a few thousand poxy Euros

So not even Bono should pay it? Why is that again?

Very mature response there Tayto, maybe it's just the smell of your tayto-breath blowing back in your face... :rolleyes:

:pac:

Was Bono there?

Were you? Serious question.

• Advertisement

People should look after their families first. That's far more important than any tax.

I assume you also want them to have access to hospitals, schools and emergency services.

Were you? Serious question.

No.

Lets kick this piss higher competition on a bit.

Were you at any of the anti-household charge meetings/rallies?

I assume you also want them to have access to hospitals, schools and emergency services.

They have to eat first otherwise the other things don't matter.
    What is income tax, prsi, usc, health levy etc etc for?

No.

Why? I'm assuming that as a property owner you probably favoured it.
    Lets kick this piss higher competition on a bit.

Were you at any of the anti-household charge meetings/rallies?

The bank guarantee was the cause of the national debt, the household charge a mere consequence. Once the guarantee was enacted, game over.

You would be of the horse has bolted school of protest. Don't sweat the stuff that affects society as a whole, but have a good rant when it affects your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Chinasea wrote: »
    I don't think anything will get past the blinkers you have on Sam. I have reminded you of your post #250 several times where you are advocating people engage painters, plasters, plumbers at cash in hand rates or on the black market. How do we square that one off????

I'm all ears - but then again that is the whole me fein thing that I believe is your modus operandi life style. You haven't in all your hopeful attempts to egg others on shown anything to lead me to believe that you are anything other than single minded. And this becomes my problem, your problem, the nation's problem and so on. Not good for that big auld ailen concept of yours 'The Bigger Picture'.

Hmm, the boards influenced righteousness some seem to have, likely much reduced once off the keyboard.

• Advertisement

Are you claiming that the LPT will mean your family cannot eat? Seriously?

So not even Bono should pay it? Why is that again?

i dont usually respond to trolling (but just in case you arent you are going to have to start reading responses pls :))

they arent called "The Party of the Rich" for nothingeek.png.

as a matter of interest, do you think Bono should pay tax on his earnings or a couple of thousand LPT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Did you emigrate to feed the fam?

They would have starved, had you not have upped sticks right?

they pay for the Champagne and caviar...

There are many families who will go without food as a result of this and other taxes. Many are doing so now.
    My family are reared. I just oppose a tax on my home and won't pay.
    I would pay a higher income tax but not a home tax. How many times have I said that now I wonder?

SamHall wrote: »
    Did you emigrate to feed the fam?

They would have starved, had you not have upped sticks right?

When did I say that? Way to try and put words in my mouth.
    I'm questioning the hyperbole, that's all.

...while you are here, that freeman attackthetax.com, have you given up promoting it? Why is that?

Why? I'm assuming that as a property owner you probably favoured it.

You know the job I am gainfully employed in back here in Ireland......... Yeah............ well I was probably doing that at the time you were outside the Dail.

The bank guarantee was the cause of the national debt, the household charge a mere consequence. Once the guarantee was enacted, game over.

It's never game over.
    I can see now why you left.

There are many families who will go without food as a result of this and other taxes. Many are doing so now.
    My family are reared. I just oppose a tax on my home and won't pay.
    I would pay a higher income tax but not a home tax. How many times have I said that now I wonder?

I'm not denying people are struggling, and there are options for those in dire situations.

You say the family are reared, than means you might be old enough to have paid rates, did you?

You know the job I am gainfully employed in back here in Ireland......... Yeah............ well I was probably doing that at the time you were outside the Dail.

Do you work evenings? I was employed at the time and managed to get there. Did you support the guarantee?
    It's never game over.
    I can see now why you left.

Now that the debt is Ireland's debt it is, even more so now you have conceded by vote that it is.

do you think Bono should pay tax on his earnings or a couple of thousand LPT?

Probably both.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement