Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

lob_sided wrote: »
    the only thing that shows is that a sizeable number of people are not paying their loans on time , thats a seperate issue from saying with certainty that people are in poverty

I wonder if James Reilly is included in that 'statistic' then?

Here's an RTE report from January.
    Over 1.5 million people have €50 or less left over at the end of the month after their essential bills have been paid, according to a survey.

The latest 'What's Left' Tracker by the Irish League of Credit Unions also found that 90% of people have been negatively impacted by high energy costs and that 40% fear the impact of the property tax.

This is the eighth tracker that has been carried out by the Irish League of Credit Unions since early 2011.

It shows the number of people with little or no disposable income is continuing to rise.

Nine out of ten people said that they have been negatively affected by rising energy costs.

More than three quarters of adults are worried about not being able to pay their bills on time.

However, there was a slight drop in the numbers saying they could not pay their bills.

More than 40% believe the introduction of a property tax will have a significant impact on them.

In what the credit unions describe as a worrying development, 17% of people were aware of moneylenders operating in their area.

However, only 5% believe they were a viable option for borrowing.

Speaking on RTÉ’s Morning Ireland, ILCU CEO Kieron Brennan said the financial squeeze on households is extraordinarily high.

Mr Brennan said half of respondents cannot afford unexpected bills.

He said: "There's a huge number of people, nearly half of the population, who are in the position of not being able to pay their bills, they must decide what will I pay this month, what will I leave until next month.

"Unexpected items of expenditure, be it a visit to the GP, a car repair, replacing the clutch, washing machine breaks down, they just don't have that in their budget anymore."

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0117/363141-credit-union-what-left/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What is your definition of poverty out of interest?

Someone who will drop their pants for food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

a percentage of defaulters have decided not to pay

can pay but wont pay

up to now they have banked on the traditional culture here of incredibly low house possessions

A percentage is not all, the percentage is considered to be 35% according to latest published papers - although this is widely disputed.

Mortgage arrears are only one indicator of financial trouble, and currently the banks are not reporting people on interest only for financial reasons in the arrears data so arrears may be a lot higher than you think.

On top of that is the numbers of people approaching VdeP for assistance, which has gone through the roof according to their reports.

Its disgusting how blinkered people choose to be about the real situation in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Someone who will drop their pants for food?

Heh heh. You got me there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

To get back to the theme of this thread: revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country, may I say that you either ignore the threat or act upon it.
    I've decided on the former as I , once again, see the bluff behind it.
    Revenue were recently bleeting on about the other databases, ie. ESB bills etc as part of their arsenal to bring us all to our senses. So, why, with all of the 'info' they claim to have on us are they even mentioning the already failed databases mentioned?
    Their entrapment is to issue us with some figure that we will surely argue over so as to blow our cover and then the game is up.
    I look forward to shreadding their assessment when it arrives without even giving it a quick glance other than to confirm that it is from Revenue.
    Yes, that is the way I will be dealing with this threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Geuze wrote: »
    My parents earn 50k and pay 2.5k in tax, that is 5%. That is way too low,

Thats handy, only having to pay tax from income. How do they avoid all the other forms of tax?

whats that got to do with anything

You said:
    a percentage of defaulters have decided not to pay

can pay but wont pay

up to now they have banked on the traditional culture here of incredibly low house possessions

And you said:
    the only thing that shows is that a sizeable number of people are not paying their loans on time , thats a seperate issue from saying with certainty that people are in poverty

Reilly named in Stubbs for 'defaulting' on his loan.

Classic example of your 'can, but won't pay' specimens.
    HEALTH Minister Dr James Reilly faces the embarrassment of being officially named this morning on a debt defaulters' list for failing to pay €1.9m.

In an unprecedented development for a sitting cabinet member, he will be named this morning in the latest edition of the debt-monitoring magazine 'Stubbs Gazette'.

Reilly's part of the problem so?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/reilly-left-redfaced-as-hes-named-on-debtdefault-list-26874242.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What is your definition of poverty out of interest?

Poverty is relative but I'd imagine a family that does without food at least one sitting per day. Also a family that can't afford to heat their home.

My sister in law is a head teacher in Dublin as are both her sisters and her mother was also. The stories they've told me of kids coming to school starving as they'd no breakfast that morning (some of them having had no dinner the night before). This wasn't the 1950's they were talking about. My sister in law started a breakfast club in her school 3 years ago because of the kids coming in hungry....not kids bluffing to get a bit of free grub but embarrassed parents asking could their kids join in as well.

pitkan wrote: »
    To get back to the theme of this thread: revenue issues threat to every homeowner in the country, may I say that you either ignore the threat or act upon it.
    I've decided on the former as I , once again, see the bluff behind it.
    Revenue were recently bleeting on about the other databases, ie. ESB bills etc as part of their arsenal to bring us all to our senses. So, why, with all of the 'info' they claim to have on us are they even mentioning the already failed databases mentioned?
    Their entrapment is to issue us with some figure that we will surely argue over so as to blow our cover and then the game is up.
    I look forward to shreadding their assessment when it arrives without even giving it a quick glance other than to confirm that it is from Revenue.
    Yes, that is the way I will be dealing with this threat.

They won't be sending you anything. The register online is simply a guideline. It's up to you to value your own house and then pay the associated tax.

If people refuse to comply then they are breaking the law, and hopefully revenue will pursue them with the full force of the law.

If people refuse to comply then they are breaking the law, and hopefully revenue will pursue them with the full force of the law.

Yes, I look forward to them pursuing me with the full force of the law. No income, no social welfare and no savings - good luck getting that pound of flesh out of me. Hope it costs many multiples of this tax to pursue me.

• Advertisement

They won't be sending you anything. The register online is simply a guideline. It's up to you to value your own house and then pay the associated tax.

I'ma shakin' in ma boots man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

SamHall wrote: »

Reilly named in Stubbs for 'defaulting' on his loan.

Classic example of your 'can, but won't pay' specimens.

Reilly's part of the problem so?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/reilly-left-redfaced-as-hes-named-on-debtdefault-list-26874242.html

Even on a ministers salary, 1.9 million is unaffordable.

We heard all this law breaking, and found & fined malarkey from the household charge fiasco, which I believe was merely the foundations being lain for this Tax, and when near 600k of the population refused to comply/bullied, to date no one, nobody, not homeowner not landlord has yet been prosecuted.

Pardon me if I'm far from frightened.

This boards really is the home of the flawless. Last time I asked a poster who said what you said there, if he ever broke a law, he actually said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

pitkan wrote: »

I'ma shakin' in ma boots man.

Revenue will take it out of your salary/bank account/social welfare with hefty interest. TBH anyone who doesn't pay is an idiot.

professore wrote: »
    Even on a ministers salary, 1.9 million is unaffordable.

It is widely accepted that Dr James Reilly is a multi-millionaire.

You're hardly likely to bump into him in the noodle aisle in lidl.
    He has the toughest job in the Cabinet. James Reilly runs a Health Department that was famously described by Brian Cowen as "Angola'' and this week he had to announce how he proposes to slash his annual budget by a staggering €750m.

But the ebullient minister will have plenty to fall back on if his late venture into the world of politics founders.

At the age of 56, the man known as "Bottler'' -- due to his uncanny likeness to the comedian Brendan Grace -- is a person of no little means.

He is owner of four homes, including a stately 13-bedroom mansion with its own disused airstrip, two farms, a shopping centre, two medical practices, various parcels of land and a collection of classic cars.

Taking pride of place in the minister's mini-empire is the Loughton Estate, former ancestral home of the Trench family near Moneygall.

Reilly became part of the Biffo gentry when he bought the 15,000 sq ft pile for close to €2m a decade ago. With its billiards room, servants' quarters, and wine cellars bigger than the average underground car park, it is the ideal pied à terre in which to unwind when the minister wants to escape the pressure cooker atmosphere of the less salubrious Hawkins House, where his ministry is based.

"Bottler'' can rest his weary limbs in Loughton's King's Bedroom, a mammoth boudoir remodelled for the visit of King George IV in 1821. The monarch never slept in it, I am told, but it is there for the Dublin North TD, and his wife Dorothy.

The previous occupant put in a swimming pool, tennis court, the grass airstrip and an aircraft hangar, but the busy minister has so far not been tempted to take to the skies. On the minus side, the ghost of a Cromwellian soldier is said to stand sentry in a tower house.

Of course, any landed gent will tell you that a squire's lifestyle requires oodles of cash. The minister receives tax relief for his efforts to maintain his important architectural treasure, and as a result of this he opens the house to the public in the summer with an entrance fee of €5.

The real source of Reilly's wealth is as a medical entrepreneur who ran two GP practices in north Dublin, and as landlord of the Lusk Town Centre and various other properties.

Before he had to take a leave of absence from it, upon becoming minister, his GP practice was pulling in up to €340,000 a year from public patients. Since taking office, he has also announced the sale of a quarter share in a nursing home in Tipperary.

Can pay, wont pay.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-life-of-reilly-26813751.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

mfceiling wrote: »
    Poverty is relative but I'd imagine a family that does without food at least one sitting per day. Also a family that can't afford to heat their home.

My sister in law is a head teacher in Dublin as are both her sisters and her mother was also. The stories they've told me of kids coming to school starving as they'd no breakfast that morning (some of them having had no dinner the night before). This wasn't the 1950's they were talking about. My sister in law started a breakfast club in her school 3 years ago because of the kids coming in hungry....not kids bluffing to get a bit of free grub but embarrassed parents asking could their kids join in as well.

I would very much believe this and what you wrote. God! Some people coming from a comfortable position can't, wouldn't or don't want to see that this is happening in Ireland 2013. I fear that things are going to get so much dire for so many more people.

Revenue will take it out of your salary/bank account/social welfare with hefty interest. TBH anyone who doesn't pay is an idiot.

Whats idiotic is a tax that takes no account of ability to pay. I wouldnt call someone who cant afford to pay an idiot, but I would call someone who thought the above an idiot.

We heard all this law breaking, and found & fined malarkey from the household charge fiasco, which I believe was merely the foundations being lain for this Tax, and when near 600k of the population refused to comply/bullied, to date no one, nobody, not homeowner not landlord has yet been prosecuted.

Local Co. Councils were collecting that. They are ineffectual and toothless. The revenue is a far different animal, sporting great big shark-like jaws.

• Advertisement

600k of the population is a wrong figure Sam. It's 600k households which in real terms is, based on joint mortgauge holders and either one of them being liable , equates to 1.3 million or more people who are boycotting this farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

And we all partied, SamHall, apparently.

I hear they're thinking of bringing in Waterboarding.

And if they do, I'll nixer my way through 2013\14 with cash transaction after cash transaction.

I'll buy from the north (I'm not far from the border) as and when I can.

I'll pay 'cash rates' to my builder/mechanic (insert any other service you wish here)

If they rob from me, I'll take it back again. Simple as that.

As well as taking your firstborn or instead of?

And if they do, I'll nixer my way through 2013\14 with cash transaction after cash transaction.

I'll buy from the north (I'm not far from the border) as and when I can.

I'll pay 'cash rates' to my builder/mechanic (insert any other service you wish here)

If they rob from me, I'll take it back again. Simple as that.

If a tradesman offered a 'cash rate' to me, I would immediately report them to the revenue commissioners. Id gladly do, it as that kind of illegality sickens me.

• Advertisement

TBH anyone who doesn't pay is an idiot.

And just pay any tax ever demanded, and you`re a professor is it?

If a tradesman offered a 'cash rate' to me, I would immediately report them to the revenue commissioners. Id gladly do, it as that kind of illegality sickens me.

You are trying to be a boards hero most likely, with that BS.

That doesn't surprise me one iota tbh.

Anyone who advocates people give up all and any little luxury they may be able to afford after a hard months graft, so as they can pay a tax, must IMO be a fairly decent, law abiding, model citizen.

That doesn't surprise me one iota tbh.

Anyone who advocates people give up all and any little luxury they may be able to afford after a hard months graft, so as they can pay a tax, must IMO be a fairly decent, law abiding, model citizen.

The ones who advocate that, are always ones not affected themselves.

Give up your sky, your broadband, your mobile phone etc, then you can pay more and more tax.

On another note, I see a house worth €0 (if it existed, but they do specify it) would be liable for €90 tax. So there ends that rubbish that it is a wealth tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

My my Mr.... You sound like a barrel of laughs. You keep thinking like you are and you will end up a complete misery to be be around. Btw , report him for what. Is it actually illegal to talk about doing a job for cash in hand ? You should talk to a bloke called joe Duffy . He loves to hear from moaners
    Don't fret , I'll keep getting jobs done for me for cash. Cash is king my man!!!!!

• Advertisement

Local Co. Councils were collecting that. They are ineffectual and toothless. The revenue is a far different animal, sporting great big shark-like jaws.

Even Jaws was blown out of the water.

Yes, only after the metering is in place though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,440 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are prosecutions in progress at present. But there is no need for any more prosecutions since the HHC is now incorporated into the LPT. If the number is 600,000 that is 600,000 x €200 come July. It might take a while to bring it all in but time is on their side.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/other/2012/proptaxbill2012.pdf

123.—Any local property tax, interest referred to in section 149 or
    other monetary penalty amount which is due and unpaid by a liable
    person shall be and remain a charge on the relevant residential property
    to which it relates.

124.—Notwithstanding section 36 of the Statute of Limitations
    1957, the charge referred to in section 123 shall continue to apply
    without a time limit until such time as it is paid in full.

There are prosecutions in progress at present. But there is no need for any more prosecutions since the HHC is now incorporated into the LPT. If the number is 600,000 that is 600,000 x €200 come July. It might take a while to bring it all in but time is on their side.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/other/2012/proptaxbill2012.pdf

123.—Any local property tax, interest referred to in section 149 or
    other monetary penalty amount which is due and unpaid by a liable
    person shall be and remain a charge on the relevant residential property
    to which it relates.

124.—Notwithstanding section 36 of the Statute of Limitations
    1957, the charge referred to in section 123 shall continue to apply
    without a time limit until such time as it is paid in full.

You don't get it though do you?

They're empty threats, we were promised bank account raids, pension deductions, fines, numerous actions if we didn't pay the hhc, none of which came through.

Now, with a still very much incomplete database, revenue are threatening us in the same way?

There's a hell of a lot of people that will continue to boycott a lpt too.

And if they forcibly take it........

What then?

Black market flourish?

You don't get it though do you?

There's a hell of a lot of people that will continue to boycott ah lpt too.

What then?

Black market flourish?

Maybe you don't get it. The charge on the property will be collected whenever it changes hands. It will be no more possible to avoid it than to avoid stamp duty or inheritance tax.

Why did people not refuse to pay the stamp duty when they were buying their houses? That would have save them much more than the HHC.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

children cannot vote and are therefore the genuinely most vulnerable ( hate that banal term ) group in the country , unfortunatley the country is short on money and all the low hanging fruit has been picked , we have just signed off on another cushy deal for the public sector , pensioners are apparently untouchable for political reasons and the banks are more powerfull than ever , it seems tales of hungary kids going to school will continue for another while

You ay cushy deal for public sector, do you actually think everyone in the public sector has a cushy number?

Maybe you don't get it. The charge on the property will be collected whenever it changes hands. It will be no more possible to avoid it than to avoid stamp duty or inheritance tax.

So, the govt can wait on me dying is that it?

I'd say there's 50 - 60 years in me yet, and I'm not planning on croaking in the near future.

Perhaps everyone should simply wait, and pay it that way?
    Why did people not refuse to pay the stamp duty when they were buying their houses? That would have save them much more than the HHC.

I tried to pay my local shop this morning for a few groceries minus the vat...

Didn't go down too well.

If stamp duty was unknown about, but later added after the house was already bought, im sure people would have refused, except for the law abiding boards squad of course, who would have a pre mature dose of over excitement at the thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

This law is a sham law though.

It doesn't take stamp duty already paid into consideration, nor does it take individual circumstances/ability to pay into consideration.

It has the potential to turn many thousands of law abiding, tax compliant citizens into tax evading criminals, especially in people who are already struggling due to job loss or vast salary reductions.

I foresee FF (who, I'm by no means a fan of btw, but the most popular political party atm) scrapping this if they get into power again.

Let's face it, they'd do anything to be back in the driving seat again. They've already 'opposed' it, which probably helped to propel them in the opinion polls.
    If you think FF will get rid of property tax...you are mistaken...

i said the public sector as a whole recently got a guarentee from the gov that they wont face the possibility of a pay cut or job loss for the next number of years

in a rescssion of this magnitude , thats a cushy deal by and measure to most people

It's good to see that the recession has passed over a lot of the private sector and they are doing nicely. Like the gambling companies, the Pay TV companies and the airlines.

If any of their employees are suffering a pay cut they should be jumping up and down asking why their top brass are getting 5 or 7 times as much as the Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ask yourself why would people not pay. I've three mates in arrears. The banks and the debt collection agencies they hand it over to are ringing these people daily, sometimes in the middle of the night(no I'm not kidding), they call to their door. In one guys case on a Sunday. On top of that are the financial penalties accrued which really bloody add up to the point of sheer usury IMH. It would be so much simpler to just pay. From my experience, such as it is, they're not paying because they quite simply can't.
    There are very very few families bordering on poverty in Ireland.
    You know me well enough to reckon I'm not bullshtting you YR, but there are. Obviously I'm not talking of Calcutta poverty, but there are many families in this nation of ours where the parents are going hungry to feed their kids. People who are wearing coats indoors in winter because they can't afford to turn on the heating. Two guys I know keep their eyes out for discarded wooden palattes to bring home as firewood(one told me the blue ones are no use as they give off toxic fumes. Knowledge I wish I never learned). One of my neighbours cut down a mature tree in his garden. A tree he often mentioned in convo with pride. I asked him WTF when I saw it gone and he replied with more than a hint of sadness with "firewood". Like I say I know a few and we're talking outwardly "middle class" folks here. People who really didn't go batsht in the "boom", but whose jobs were lost/work dried up kinda scenario. Like I said I'm talking about people in suburbia, christ knows what's going down in historically poor areas. Well as was suggested ask those in the SVP. I'll say this, IMHO anyway, there is a fast growing but hidden social divide happening now as we speak on this island. The haves, even the justabout haves aren't seeing the real have nots around them, even when they're neighbours. Just look at some on this thread. The "oh you'll have to pay it, it's your civic duty" etc. They quite simply don't see the real life stuff being played out for people who just don't have the money to pay it. To paraphrase one such poster, thats the real "Me fein" thing that's going on.
    Oh it sickens me too YR, but for different reasons. I heard almost none of that back in the celtic tiger ballsology, but I'm hearing it all the time these days. Actually today I heard it as I needed something done urgently on my gaff and money being tight and all. The guy who I've dealt with before was poster boy for above board back in the day, yet this very day straightaway suggested a nixer. In the end I sorted the problem myself thank god, but if I hadn't been able to I'll be honest and say I'd have taken his offer as it would have saved me at least 500 quid. 500 quid that is hard earned and scarce enough.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's good to see that the recession has passed over a lot of the private sector and they are doing nicely. Like the gambling companies, the Pay TV companies and the airlines.

If any of their employees are suffering a pay cut they should be jumping up and down asking why their top brass are getting 5 or 7 times as much as the Taoiseach.

Gambling company, like say, William Hill or Paddy Power?

Did their companies require a bailout? Are they running 'deficits' each year to keep the companies running?

I'd hazard a guess, that they aren't.

I'd also hazard a guess that as soon as they start becoming unsuccessful businesses, staff will be let go, and the MD's, directors and so on will take severe pay cuts, and pension freezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

Its all very well to listen to a high earner from revenue and high earning politicians who are set up for life with their pensions threatening us . If i were in their situation i would not have to worry about the property tax, guaranteed income for life. Its a ducking disgrace , the power they have been given and the threatening behavior of revenue. Can't wait for a fine gael or labour git to call to my house, dogs abuse will an the order of the day.

Secman

secman wrote: »
    Its all very well to listen to a high earner from revenue and high earning politicians who are set up for life with their pensions threatening us . If i were in their situation i would not have to worry about the property tax, guaranteed income for life. Its a ducking disgrace , the power they have been given and the threatening behavior of revenue. Can't wait for a fine gael or labour git to call to my house, dogs abuse will an the order of the day.

Secman

They won't be calling.
    They are the same as Fianna Fail last time. No visits to anyone's home as they knew what they'd get. FG/Labour will be the same next time.
    Dead men walking.

secman wrote: »

Secman

At least they cant seize your house for non payment like in the North. If Sinn Fein come to your door you could ask them about that.

At least they cant seize your house for non payment like in the North. If Sinn Fein come to your door you could ask them about that.

IIRC, SF opposed the property tax here from the start?

Why should they be challenged on something they do not agree with?

Maybe we should confront the local priest on the Jewish belief about not eating swine?

Revenue need you to fill-in and return their form.
    If you do then they have you.
    If you don't then they don't have your details so can't charge you.
    They can send letters to the person named on the ESB bill but they can't say who should be paying.
    Return nothing, don't open the door to strangers and they can do nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭secman

I did not vote for sinn fein , i voted for a fine gael git who lied through his teeth along with that enda lying bastard too, i was conned big time and won't forget it.

Secman

They can send letters to the person named on the ESB bill but they can't say who should be paying.
    Return nothing, don't open the door to strangers and they can do nothing about it.

• Advertisement

You are giving legal advice. And it is wrong.

12.—In administering this Act generally or in exercising any power
    to make an estimate or an assessment or to require the delivery of a
    return in relation to any relevant residential property or in exercising
    any other power thereunder
    (a) the Revenue Commissioners shall not be required firstly
    to inquire into the ownership of, or title to, any particular
    residential property, and
    (b) all such facts and circumstances relating to the occupation
    of a residential property by a person as give rise to an
    inference that that person is the owner thereof may be
    taken into account by the Revenue Commissioners

This discussion has been closed.