Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best car insurance in Ireland

Options
  • 08-03-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    Once again renewing my car insurance is due and I got the email with new "fantastic" price of €640 what it almost double of what I was paying so far. :eek: Is that gone up that much last year? (I had no claims)
    Now I'm with 123 but I tried to find something cheaper and came across No Nonsense car insurance which is half of the 123 quote.

Please share some experience with them, is it worth switching?

Best!
    T
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

shop around, get the best price and then tell them you have a better price - always works for me. Don't use the online facilities as they seem to always be higher.

If you are willing to take the Ryanair of insurance, no nonsense can be cheap but you get little benefits and cover and there are excesses,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Always get car insurance through a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

RoboRat wrote: »
    shop around, get the best price and then tell them you have a better price - always works for me. Don't use the online facilities as they seem to always be higher.

Personally I never go back and beg for a discount from my current insurer.

If after I've checked around they are the best I'll go with them. I refuse to spend several hours of my life checking websites and calling companies to get a good quote then go back and ask for the current company to match or better it. If they want my money give me the best quote the 1st time, not after I've done a load of work and then you can somehow match the quote I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Del2005 wrote: »

If after I've checked around they are the best I'll go with them. I refuse to spend several hours of my life checking websites and calling companies to get a good quote then go back and ask for the current company to match or better it. If they want my money give me the best quote the 1st time, not after I've done a load of work and then you can somehow match the quote I got.

Why wouldn't you spend a few hours looking for a cheaper quote?
    The way I look at it is, a 5 minute phone call could save you a weeks wages.

Do a bit of research and inquiries and do the haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why wouldn't you spend a few hours looking for a cheaper quote?
    The way I look at it is, a 5 minute phone call could save you a weeks wages.

Do a bit of research and inquiries and do the haggling.

I do spend the time looking for a better quote. If the original company is best value I'll go with them, but I won't go back to try and get money off them.

If they can magically drop the price when I ring back with a better quote then they where obviously overcharging me on the original quote. If they don't give me their best quote 1st time I'm not interested in giving them my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,419 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Del2005 wrote: »
    I do spend the time looking for a better quote. If the original company is best value I'll go with them, but I won't go back to try and get money off them.

If they can magically drop the price when I ring back with a better quote then they where obviously overcharging me on the original quote. If they don't give me their best quote 1st time I'm not interested in giving them my money.

They overquote for existing customer precisely because there are a lot of people out there who make the silly assumption that the quote is the quote and they probably won't get much better elsewhere because the product is essentially the same so they pay up.

I've been with the same insurer for years because at this stage with a good record I have built up a few extras on my policy that makes it worth staying with them like fully comp. cover when I drive other cars (up to 50K) but I still shop around and then phone them and make them lower the renewal by telling what their competitors are quoting.

Swallow your pride and ring them, they know your history so will want to hang on to you. They will lower their price, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Who said anything about begging? I didn't and I certainly don't beg for money off.

In regards to what I wrote, I should have been clearer. I shop around and when I get the best price and tell that company I got a better price and if they want the business they will need to beat or match it. Works all the time for me but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I always shop around then go back to my original company with quotes seeing if they can match or beat what I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

i changed from 123.ie to AXA this year after 4 years with 123..AXA were 250 cheaper..all 123 said was they had given me best price and AXA were obviously quoting me incorrectly. Needless to say I read with fine tooth comb and nope AXAs cover was better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

I switched from a broker (I had insurance through Setanta with them) to Chill insurance. The insurance through the broker had gone up over €100 since last year for some reason but Chill saved me almost €250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

chill quoted me double what 123 quoted :P just shows you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Chill Insurance are brokers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭joetoad

I only took out my own insurance this month, was a named driver for three years on parents insurance on my own car. Liberty insurance game me the same no claims discount as someone who had their own insurance. Happy days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

25plus.ie, 1 year NCB - €300 Fully Comp, Low excess, Breakdown and all that other stuff

Cant go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    25plus.ie, 1 year NCB - €300 Fully Comp, Low excess, Breakdown and all that other stuff

Cant go wrong

thats an excellent price :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

do 25plus.ie do insurance for people under 25? i put in ( 1990 ) and i got a quote for 741. however if i put 1993, it wont give me a quote and asks me to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Been with Liberty for 5+ years. No claims during that time.

Got a quote of around 570euros for 3rd Party F&T.

Got a few other quotes from brokers and such, nothing below the 500 mark though.

Rang liberty to cancel my policy and direct debit due to the better quotes I received.

After a few mins on the phone, the gentleman offered me fully comprehensive insurance, windscreen cover, breakdown cover, better car replacement*, no claims discount protection for 435 :eek:

*If your vehicle is a total loss, we will pay you the market value of a vehicle of the same make and model that is one year newer and 15,000 km less than your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Flowerbomb123

Whatever you do don't just go off the quote 123 give you. Got quoted 3500 for fully comp, had to laugh! Ended up going with AXA through the AA and got it down to 650! Saved over 2500 for ringing around! 123 are a JOKE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Whatever you do don't just go off the quote 123 give you. Got quoted 3500 for fully comp, had to laugh! Ended up going with AXA through the AA and got it down to 650! Saved over 2500 for ringing around! 123 are a JOKE!!

They just didn't want to insure your circumstances. All insurers will have a margin like that between their top preferred risk and their least preferred

Advertisement