Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pay to post on Boards.ie?

• 08-03-2013 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Just wonderin' ... would you still post here if you had to pay a fee per post?

If not, why not? If so, how much would you pay?

This comes from this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It costs me a little bit of dignity every time I post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ToadVine wrote: »

This comes from this

Pay to post on boards?

Pay to post on boards??

I made the BBC!

Are we not already paying Internet providers and mobile networks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

On the plus side people might think before they post...

probably wouldn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nope.

If that happened I'd be back to trolling the bulletin boards in my local supermarkets.

So long suckahs!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Another stupid suggestion by Seanad Éireann who once again have no idea what they're talking about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

When the internet becomes that silly, it will be time to hang up the router and get some fresh air.

Notahope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I've paid in enough bodily fluid's to cover everyone's cost's ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

what will these feckin eeejits come up with next, if the current clowns keep one damn promise i hope its the end of the senate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My days of raping people on facebook is slowly coming to an end :(

I already do :) So do quite a few others. There is an optional payment to join the supporters group. No real benefits of note (You get to post in one or two forums that no one really posts in anyway) but I do get a fuzzy feeling out of supporting everyone elses ability to waste their time on here instead of working :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Lol, a Post Tax, another way for the Government to separate us from our hard earned cash.

Id just go back to being a lurker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

He doesn't have to worry about anonymity on the internet for much longer if Google have their way. I'm sick of them trying to get me to have one super account. They are slowly taking over the internet :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thats a lot of questions for someone who does not offer their own opinion on the matter:(

I would not pay to post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yesterday I over heard part of a serious meeting between some middle manager in a catering company and the chef in an office canteen. The Middle manager was engaged deeply with the Chef in the specific types of fruits that the chef could offer the customer as an alternative should they run out of apples on a set menu (Satsumas are ok, but bananas are not)

I thought that this was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard someone in a suit say with a straight face, and then I read what these clowns in the Senate are talking about in their committees

Someone needs to give them a kick up their collective holes

Bullying is a big problem for school children and no doubt social media can make this worse, but in this instance, the issue is not Anonymity. The child knows who his/her bullies are. The problem is that even when the bullies are identifiable, the schools or the parents don't do anything to prevent the bullying.

Perhaps the school should set up whistleblower facilities in their school to allow students to anonymously send evidence of bullying directly to a member of staff at the school who is specifically responsible for preventing bullying.

Harrassment is already a criminal offence, if a child is engaged in criminality, the parents should be held responsible for ensuring that activity stops. If the parent is not capable of controling their child, then the social services should become more involved as there may be mental health issues or there may be other underlying child protection issues.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Pay to use Boards? Pfft! Subscribers are fools for paying..

Ah crap :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The answer is that no one would.

Because "here" wouldn't be here anymore.

The present situation here is that most ISP's and sites will respect privacy unless there's a court order at which time they will bend over to comply so fast they'll get whiplash.

it's one of those unintended consequences that happens when people try to apply technofixes that are trivial to overcome

1. migrate the site offshore (site mirroring anyone?)
    2. leave a redirect
    3. laugh at Irish law and court orders because in a different jurisdiction

EU law trumps Irish law on EU wide supply of services

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

say it were 1c per post, I think a lot of people still would, maybe not as much in the likes of after hours but in some of the more serious forums or where advice is being sought etc, i doubt it would put people off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

antodeco wrote: »

But it's worth it for the naked mods thread on the sex and sexuality forum. Plus, the day Devore came over to wash my car was totally worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Eathrin wrote: »
    Another stupid suggestion by Seanad Éireann who once again have no idea what they're talking about.

If they paid us for each stupid idea they come up with we'd all be loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I wouldn't tar all the Senators with the one brush. Some appear to have a bit of cop-on occasionally. Eamon Coughlan (Coghlan in the Examiner so maybe that's the right spelling) was a great athlete but he probably knows just as much or as little as the rest of us about social media subjects, except for those who "live" or work in cyberworld.

In any event I would not pay to post. 400-odd posts since joining in 2009 wouldn't exactly break me at 1c per post, but I don't really need the forum - it's just a bit of fun - and if it came to paying I would just drop out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Idbatterim wrote: »
    say it were 1c per post, I think a lot of people still would, maybe not as much in the likes of after hours but in some of the more serious forums or where advice is being sought etc, i doubt it would put people off...
    The people wanting advice would pay, but would those handing out want to especially if it's a topic that keeps coming up ?

And what of the zombie PC's in a botnet would they have to pay for all the spam ?

What of foreigners , would they have to pay to post on Irish sites ,
    - if they do will they bother ?
    - And if they don't how long will it take before some locals start using proxies ?

And who would collect this money and if there is any way a third party could get the tiniest slice of this money expect malware to exploit it.

I already pay the subs, that's ok with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

antodeco wrote: »

i stopped subscribing when a mod told me at a beers that the mod beers is a freebie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Wtf? I've been paying a boards tax for years! Dont you all send €20 a month to boards@totallylegitbankaccounts.com?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Senator Fidelma Healy Eames is living in a parallel world and the sooner it comes crashing down the better.

I would expect better of Coughlan but maybe he's heading for a David Ike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Eamon Coughlan is a knob end, I first heard about this listening to an American tech podcast, it made us sound like the most backward bunch of eejits you ever heard of.

They wouldn't want to touch my Internet, and no I won't pay for boards, or any other free service, they make their money because my eyes see their ads. I believe the price that is being bandied about is 25c, so when you add up Facebook, twitter, boards and any other services you use this could end up being quite costly.

It's not the internets fault that little ****s are bullying people and have been since the dawn of time. Yes kids have killed themselves over ask.fm harassment but I'm sure people have killed themselves over being bullied in person as well, in fact I would say that many more have. It's just wont sell as many papers as using scaremongering tactics.

If I kid killed themselves because they were being bullied by text message what would they propose then? Punish the little ****s who bully instead of the rest of the country, if you take away their current weapon then they will just find another.

Isn't it funny that a government that is only interested in squeezing every last penny that we have in us to give to the ECB, when asked to come up with a way to stop cyber bullying thinks of yet another way to tax us. Sinister but unsurprising in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

"teenagers are literally living in a parallel universe"

The issue of teenagers' cross-dimensional tomfoolery is of a bigger concern, I would think.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Cienciano wrote: »
    But it's worth it for the naked mods thread on the sex and sexuality forum. Plus, the day Devore came over to wash my car was totally worth it.

Im passed my 5th year of paying (maybe more actually?), so Ive had DeVore wash my car in the Daisy Duke outfit. Was weird but kind of arousing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I already do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Maybe the problem is with children sharing personal information and photos of themselves online. Pretty hard to meaningfully bully someone you know nothing about.
    I suspect the bean-counters smell money and the job of these clowns is to drum up some hysteria. A few years ago you'd tell kids to reveal nothing about themselves online because the paedophiles would come looking for them. Short memory, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Well it depends on where the money would be going doesn't it? To the government - definitely not and honestly even if the money went to Boards I imagine I'd just leave it. 3 or 4 years ago I was considering subscribing to Boards. I don't think I would now but I do leave ads turned on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

This comes from this
    Just read the article! If it were going to the owners of boards.ie Id have no problem with it, going to that shower of f*cks to squander, I doubt it...
    The people wanting advice would pay, but would those handing out want to especially if it's a topic that keeps coming up ?

And what of the zombie PC's in a botnet would they have to pay for all the spam ?

What of foreigners , would they have to pay to post on Irish sites ,
    - if they do will they bother ?
    - And if they don't how long will it take before some locals start using proxies ?

valid questions...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If we did have to pay a nominal sum to gain access to a full boards service, a 10 euro once off or whatever, it would drastically cut down on the amount of annoying re-reg trolls who infect the place with their idiocy daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If we did have to pay a nominal sum to gain access to a full boards service, a 10 euro once off or whatever, it would drastically cut down on the amount of annoying re-reg trolls who infect the place with their idiocy daily.

Oh.. now this makes sense. How much will people pay to troll the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Abi wrote: »

Oh.. now this makes sense. How much will people pay to troll the place?
    Careful, we could have a bidding war on our hands now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

While there would be benefit in re-registration of trolls, If you did that you would kill boards..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

You'd pay to make a post and then BOARDS.IE would up their banning quota ten fold so they could get all your funds in subscriptions and not allow you to post. :rolleyes:

Gah, it's like they're completely misunderstanding all of this. Making everyone suffer won't stop online bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I like computer games - I only really play free games (Wolf ET and free games from bargain alerts)
    I like talking to my friends - I only do so when it's free (weekends/free texts/ skype
    I like posting online - I do it when it's free (facebook, twitter, boards)
    I like getting educated - I do it when it's free (free education for bachelors and scholarships for masters)
    Seeing a trend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Too heavily censored. I tried to open a thread on Garda Laptops in Emergency Services and it was closed on the spot.

Refused to open a forum on bullying.

I paid once.

Not anymore.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not if it was by word count. I'd be debtors prison in two effin posts. Actually the amount of bollocks quality content I post, they should be paying me as a staff writer. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Good man Doc, thats the most blatant piece of kite flying I've seen for some time.

I like computer games - I only really play free games (Wolf ET and free games from bargain alerts)
    I like talking to my friends - I only do so when it's free (weekends/free texts/ skype
    I like posting online - I do it when it's free (facebook, twitter, boards)
    I like getting educated - I do it when it's free (free education for bachelors and scholarships for masters)
    Seeing a trend?
    Self confessed moocher?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are the Seanad Éireann looking for the people or Ireland to rise up and attack them? Stupid suggestion after stupid suggestion. How better a way to scare away foreign investment than to start introducing stupid laws that will have people joining the dole queues when their social media jobs move to non-EU countries to escape this fiasco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Pah, they should be paying me

• Advertisement
Advertisement