Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counter Surfing

• 08-03-2013 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Anyone any tips as to how to deter this one?

My 12 month old pup is a divil for it. She's fine overnight when sleeping in the kitchen but once she's wide awake and left in the kitchen for any period of time after that her paw marks can be seen around the edges. I'd swear she's grown again as she seems to be stretching that bit farther in recent days! Things that were originally out of reach, she seems to be managing to get at now. It was manageable before as everything could be left a certain distance in out of her reach but while I'm reasonably amused at her attempts, it's still a real nuisance.

So far, I've tried
    - every spoon in the house on a chopping board left in an unbalanced position with really nice treats on it as bait. Didn't work...
    - setting up the iCAM and watching remotely to catch her in the act. It's almost like she knows I'm watching as she doesn't fall for the bait.
    - tabasco sauce lined along the edge of the counters. (I couldn't hack that one for too long, can't stand the smell of the stuff).

I've started crating her again when I have to go out but I'd rather address the behaviour instead. She obviously has discovered there's great fun to be had by pulling something that brings down a pile of other fun stuff to chew! She has plenty chew toys by the way.

So anyone got any other tips and tricks that might have worked? She knows leave it and all that but obviously only does this when I'm well out of earshot!

I feel sort of sorry for my other dog as she's a lot shorter and doesn't get a look in on the loot I'm sure!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

carav10 wrote: »
    Anyone any tips as to how to deter this one?

My 12 month old pup is a divil for it. She's fine overnight when sleeping in the kitchen but once she's wide awake and left in the kitchen for any period of time after that her paw marks can be seen around the edges. I'd swear she's grown again as she seems to be stretching that bit farther in recent days! Things that were originally out of reach, she seems to be managing to get at now. It was manageable before as everything could be left a certain distance in out of her reach but while I'm reasonably amused at her attempts, it's still a real nuisance.

So far, I've tried
    - every spoon in the house on a chopping board left in an unbalanced position with really nice treats on it as bait. Didn't work...
    - setting up the iCAM and watching remotely to catch her in the act. It's almost like she knows I'm watching as she doesn't fall for the bait.
    - tabasco sauce lined along the edge of the counters. (I couldn't hack that one for too long, can't stand the smell of the stuff).

I've started crating her again when I have to go out but I'd rather address the behaviour instead. She obviously has discovered there's great fun to be had by pulling something that brings down a pile of other fun stuff to chew! She has plenty chew toys by the way.

So anyone got any other tips and tricks that might have worked? She knows leave it and all that but obviously only does this when I'm well out of earshot!

I feel sort of sorry for my other dog as she's a lot shorter and doesn't get a look in on the loot I'm sure!

I think all dogs will try and get stuff of the kitchen counter when they can - they know that's where the goodies are. My malamute does it too if I don't watch him. I think the easiest solution would be not to leave her in the kitchen at all - make the whole kitchen off limits for her...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

doubter wrote: »
    I think all dogs will try and get stuff of the kitchen counter when they can - they know that's where the goodies are. My malamute does it too if I don't watch him. I think the easiest solution would be not to leave her in the kitchen at all - make the whole kitchen off limits for her...

If it was an option but it's where they sleep at night. Probably something I'll just have to put up with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

carav10 wrote: »
    If it was an option but it's where they sleep at night. Probably something I'll just have to put up with!

Can't really think of something else...probably best to keep all steal-able stuff out off reach than..:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Teach her to leave the stuff alone - easy!

Have treats in both hands
    Hold one hand out to the dog - as she goes to take the treats tell her to "leave it"..then give her the treats in the other hand and say "take it!!!" in a happy voice...
    Repeat repeat repeat and practice every day.

One she knows the drill you can put treats on the counter and tell her to leave them and take treats from your hand instead - make sure you remove the counter ones in case she tries buy one get one free lol! :D

This is a really useful command to teach them - my dog's had operations on his legs and we had no problems with him messing with his bandages - just had to tell him to leave them once.

Advertisement